If you're Tom Holmoe...

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
KingCoug
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: If you're Tom Holmoe...

Post by KingCoug »

I would can Weber (OL) and Howell (Secondary, Special Teams). We have to do better.

Half of me wants to fire or demote Doman. Half of me wants to give him one more year.

Put Bronco on notice.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

How good of a job has Max Hall done at QB coach? I have no idea. Is he a keeper?

SHIZ
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by SHIZ »

Cougs_Rule wrote:
Next year's schedule will be a painful crucible and we will long for the days of, well, look what USU has accomplished. If they had beaten BYU they would be in the top 20. Playing with the Big Boys isn't working out so well for BYU or Utah.
some people keep bringing up how impossible next year's schedule looks, but even with all of our deficiencies and injuries this year at OL, the secondary, offensive coordinator, kicking, tight ends, etc. we were still a decent QB away from maybe having a 1 loss team, against a schedule that includes some pretty good teams.

i'd rather play a bunch of games against teams with a national profile and win some, than play 1 bcs team a year and beat the rest of the mountain time zone. look what USU has accomplished? seriously? what does a conference championship in the wac or mwc mean? it means you were better than a bunch of bad teams. we could go 2-10 next year and it would still be a cold day in hell before i ever longed for a wac or mwc championship. i may long for the days when the team could play better, but beating a bunch of JV teams doesn't mean the team was better.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

SHIZ wrote:
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Next year's schedule will be a painful crucible and we will long for the days of, well, look what USU has accomplished. If they had beaten BYU they would be in the top 20. Playing with the Big Boys isn't working out so well for BYU or Utah.
some people keep bringing up how impossible next year's schedule looks, but even with all of our deficiencies and injuries this year at OL, the secondary, offensive coordinator, kicking, tight ends, etc. we were still a decent QB away from maybe having a 1 loss team, against a schedule that includes some pretty good teams.

i'd rather play a bunch of games against teams with a national profile and win some, than play 1 bcs team a year and beat the rest of the mountain time zone. look what USU has accomplished? seriously? what does a conference championship in the wac or mwc mean? it means you were better than a bunch of bad teams. we could go 2-10 next year and it would still be a cold day in hell before i ever longed for a wac or mwc championship. i may long for the days when the team could play better, but beating a bunch of JV teams doesn't mean the team was better.
I agree with you. I'd much rather have a schedule like this years and every one in a while run the table than play a MWC/WAC schedule every year. The part that annoys me, is that BYU fans get so bent out of shape when things don't bounce BYU's way and a couple losses happen in a year where BYU faced a VERY difficult schedule.

Like you, I think BYU's past record and rankings were a bit overinflated. This years team very likely could have run the table in the MWC and played in a BCS bowl. But with a difficult schedule BYU was measured and found lacking. Next year will be fun. Listening to the fans won't be.

Wickchad
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Wickchad »

scott715 wrote:How good of a job has Max Hall done at QB coach? I have no idea. Is he a keeper?
Max Hall is an unpaid student assistant. As long as he is free you keep him. If he was taking up an actual coaching spot you would have to consider if he really is bringing something to the table.

Stirfry
All-American

Post by Stirfry »

rblack wrote:I highly doubt that Bronco signs another contract and it will be a sad day. BYU will offer him another contract, probably at a higher salary, however, he will unfortunately not accept. The replacement for Bronco will be less capable, have a higher learning curve and will lose alot more games than Bronco ever did. The best that we can hope for is that Kyle Whittingham will be available because Utah can't win in the PAC 12. That will still be a major step down from Bronco Mendenhall.
+1 If/When Bronco is no longer the head coach our odds are that it will be a sad day in Provo. Calling for Bronco to be gone is crazy in my mind. I can't figure out the Riley Nelson thing with him but the positives he brings far outweigh the negatives I've seen.

Doman has brought in 2 of the top QB recruits in the nation over the last 4 years. He's getting better but deals with an O-line that gets pushed around all over the place. Between dealing with Nelson as the QB and the O-line I'm not sure Domans even been able to run his offense. He's just trying to make do with what he has. (assuming that playing Nelson has been Bronco's call as many have said.)

I beleive getting rid of Bronco would be a dark day in BYU history.

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it
jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

Wickchad84087 wrote:I'd get rid of who ever is letting a QB with a broken back continue to play.
This is how i feel. was it bronco or doman who chose nelson and stuck with him. fire that person for creating a culture that will make talented recruits spurn byu.

cby016
Gray Shirt

Post by cby016 »

Wickchad84087 wrote:I'd get rid of who ever is letting a QB with a broken back continue to play.
Amen to that brother.

Last year when Heaps was playing bad he was benched and didn't play again the whole season. This year Riley Nelson has not only played bad, but he is injured and the BYU coaches still put him in. Why do we have a double standard going on here?

CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

Doman had the Heaps fiasco and broken-back Nelson in his short tenure. Both are major challenges some of which, Doman bears responsibility but I'm not ready to run him out of town like an Anae scapegoat.Look at it from Doman's perspective. how can you effectively design on offense when your qb either a) is scared to take a hit, is a pre-Madonna and has team chemistry issues or b) can't hit the wide open receivers your plays free up and who calls his own QB run plays that gets himself hurt.

Sure Doman should be on the hotseat but coaching changes means years of woes ahead and it's never one person's fault. Doman has improved his play calling and to a large degree his offense has to be designed around qb issues, porous o-line and an expected 2-3 turnovers. that's a tough job and I think that merits at least another year to see what he can do with a qb that can hit wide open receivers in stride, or knows what occasionally throwing the ball away is for.

cby016
Gray Shirt

Post by cby016 »

CougarClaw wrote:Doman had the Heaps fiasco and broken-back Nelson in his short tenure. Both are major challenges some of which, Doman bears responsibility but I'm not ready to run him out of town like an Anae scapegoat.Look at it from Doman's perspective. how can you effectively design on offense when your qb either a) is scared to take a hit, is a pre-Madonna and has team chemistry issues or b) can't hit the wide open receivers your plays free up and who calls his own QB run plays that gets himself hurt.
Yes you are right he has had to deal with some tough QB situations but isn't it true that he put himself in these tough situations and he could of made a change at anytime? I think this is exactly what everyone is mad about.

Like jonnylingo said this type of behavior not only makes recruiting scouts spurn BYU but it is also not fair for the other offensive players. Think how different Apo's and Hoffman's seasons would have been with a decent QB.