Doman on the way out

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
jacksonman
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Doman on the way out

Post by jacksonman »

If that is being spoiled, I'd love to know what type of season we should expect and we be content with. Bronco underperformed with every one of those teams. We are yet to bust bcs. Been embarrassed several times on national tv. Pad schedule with wins over worst teams in nation. Lose every big game for past 4 years. Have lost bad on home field consistently past 4 years. Lost #1 recruit and recruiting edge in state. Etc.

Why do we set the bar at lavell?! He was decent coach who struck gold once. I want more than lavell and with the quality of lds athletes now, with the money and reputation at byu, with independence, we should be better. But instead, we have been passed up by the u, bsu and tcu all on broncos watch.

I honestly don't know how people love the guy so much. If he wasn't so dam stubborn he could change a few things and easily win one or two more games each season.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

As far as Doman is concerned. I hope he doesn't leave. I still think he has the proper mind set, energy, and intelligence to be a good if not great Ocoordinator. He did underachieve this year and I think it was due to the Oline mostly and would like to see changes made there and see what can be done when the Oline plays like it should. I've been keeping quiet on him because there really isn't much of a defense for this offense this year. No need to make up excuses for it, but I do think Doman deserves more time. Anae got 6 years, Doman deserves more than 2 to prove if he can do it or not.

cougdoc
BLUEshirt

Post by cougdoc »

hawkwing wrote: Why in the world would you want to give Doman a pass for not being a man enough to be in charge of his own offense? Besides, there's absolutely zero evidence that it wasn't Doman's choice the whole time.
:bug: Really?? My boss and I are currently at loggerheads about an issue at work that I was told I had complete authority over. Instead, when I ran my plan past him as a courtesy heads-up, he vetoed me. I continue to bring it up with him at every interaction and try to convince him to see my side, but no dice. My options at this point are to implement his plan, which is going to reduce our efficiency IMHO (with the repercussions coming to me), or to quit.

Perhaps Doman is in the same predicament. He cannot publicly announce (unless/until he doesn't coach here anymore) that the Riley fiasco was all Bronco's idea and he would have played Lark. His options are to make do with the situation or quit. Maybe that is what is happening. As you say, there is no evidence that Riley wasn't Doman's call, but there is no evidence that he wasn't overruled by BM.

Hawkwing, you seem willing to send Doman packing regardless. Either sticking with Riley too long was Doman's call, for which you would can him, or it was Bronco's call and Doman didn't contradict his boss forcefully enough, for which you would can him. Maybe Doman did object loudlly enough that Bronco suggested he shop his resume and he is being fired for doing exactly what you suggested. Who knows?

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

it turns out that the BD promotion was a mistake but now he has two years of experience. We don't know ultimately who was making the calls. There were some games that the O could have pull out the wins but the QB was not able to make the play (Utah, BSU and ND) come to mind. If we had gotten that one play we would be singing his praises. I think he should get another year with a new QB and a new OL coach.

mizzoucoug
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by mizzoucoug »

I think it's a mistake to get rid of Doman only for continuity reasons at this point. My guess is a lot hangs on next year due to Bronco's contract, the schedule, and starting a true freshman at QB. If we somehow get clobbered next year then everything blows up, but I don't see much happening this offseason.

Cougest
BLUEshirt

Post by Cougest »

scott715 wrote:it turns out that the BD promotion was a mistake but now he has two years of experience. We don't know ultimately who was making the calls. There were some games that the O could have pull out the wins but the QB was not able to make the play (Utah, BSU and ND) come to mind. If we had gotten that one play we would be singing his praises. I think he should get another year with a new QB and a new OL coach.
I agree. I've been a huge critic of the offensive production this year but how much of that is on the O-line and QB. Lark at the helm showed a lot of promise and we've seen major improvement in Doman. I think it's unfair to not give him another year with a decent QB and decent O-line. A new QB at the helm with a new offensive system with next years schedule would be a disaster.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Bronco has done a great job. He is stubborn. He is naive at times. He lacks warmth and charm with fans and the media. He is outstanding with the players. He is classy and has high integrity. My worry is that he might be approaching the time that he would rather be doing something else.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougy_Monster
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougy_Monster »

I am right on the fence about doman or even bronco leaving. I was a HUGE bronco and doman supporter but the last 2 years have been a circus at times, almost as if the coaches had their heads in the clouds during the game.

I'd support both staying if they would enroll in a basic-level math class so there is at least someone on the sideline that can manage the clock worth a s#!+ at the end of the game.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

I don't want to see Brandon go. He is bright & he has had a steep learning curve. Why let some other team benefit from that last 2 years? Shouldn't BYU benefit from the last 2 years of effort and pain?

Waipahuboy
Recruit

Post by Waipahuboy »

Give 'em one more year....can then assess BD's performance after three years, with the RN/Heaps debacles behind him.

If he struggles next year with Hill, THEN urge him to get his resume in order & wish him well.