Welcome back, Anae

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Welcome back, Anae

Post by byufan4ever »

Wow, no official word from the school and no one provided a link to an article or where their info was coming from.

Here:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/55 ... h.html.csp

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Where is the proof that the boosters ran Anae out of town??? I have not seen any proof. Anaes performance vs Utah ran him out of town more than anything else, at least publically.

Who knows what was going on behind doors. I always had my doubts and mutiny thoughts about Coach Reynolds and Matt Reynolds and their resistance to what was going on and lack of buy in and leadership that should have been there on field and off but wasn't.

What I am most clear about with Anaes return is his toughness with the O line. I sit 15 rows up from the BYU sideline, specifically where the O meets after a series, and have for the last decade. Anae would frequently yell at the line. No wonder the Oline loved Weber. He was like the nice uncle, brother to the mean father, who would empower instead of thumping on the kids.

I thought Bronco didn't get along with Anae. That Anae was not a yes man and was at times, defiant. And he realized that Bronco was the HC and it wasnt going to change, so he moved on. Thus, Vai's tantrums regarding Bronco and BYU after Anaes departure.

Who knows.

I wonder if Anae will be too distracted with the Oline to be effectively scheming and in-game adjusting?

HoosierCougar
Junior

Post by HoosierCougar »

Cougarpoke wrote:Word out there is that Mark Atuia will be coaching running backs. If that is true then where does Dupaix fit in? I kind of liked him. Seems like Anae is back, which i am ok with, but I am more intrigued to see if there is a total change over of offensive staff. Weber is gone. Cahoon? Dupaix? Doman most likely staying at qb's coach. I think there is still one more opening left. Most of the problems from what i have seen on twitter and articles were between Reynolds and Anae. Hope to see our offense become better and more consistent. At least with Anae we know we will have an identity. The key for Anae will be to beat good defenses. I hope he is the right choice.

So staff is now
-Reynolds (announced)
-Weber (Jay Drew tweet)
+ Anae (multiple sources)
+ Atuaia (speculated RB Coach)
= full coaching staff, but what *about* Dupaix? where does he fit?

per Jay Drew:
Hearing that biggest problems in 2010 were between Anae and Reynolds, not Anae and Mendenhall. #BYU

Per Greg Wrubell:
When Anae originally left BYU, the offensive room was bordering on dysfunctional, and he didn't want to be in that room anymore.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

I don't think that Anae is a bad O-coordinator, but I do think we've already seen his ceiling (which isn't necessarily bad, especially considering the last couple of seasons), so I have mixed feelings about bringing him back; I personally would've liked to see somebody new.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

Schmoe wrote:I don't think that Anae is a bad O-coordinator, but I do think we've already seen his ceiling (which isn't necessarily bad, especially considering the last couple of seasons), so I have mixed feelings about bringing him back; I personally would've liked to see somebody new.
Robert Anae's conservative/reliable offense last year + Bronco's top 5 defense and we have one of, if not the greatest, team that BYU has ever had.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

Schmoe wrote:I don't think that Anae is a bad O-coordinator, but I do think we've already seen his ceiling (which isn't necessarily bad, especially considering the last couple of seasons), so I have mixed feelings about bringing him back; I personally would've liked to see somebody new.
Kind of where I am at. I feel better about it with each minute passing though.

fifthqb
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by fifthqb »

I heard that Anae was originally shown the door because he didn't want to start Riley... ;)

With our stars coming back, and the promise of a better offensive staff it's almost like they are trying to get the hype started already. I refuse to believe... for now.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

fifthqb wrote:I heard that Anae was originally shown the door because he didn't want to start Riley... ;)

With our stars coming back, and the promise of a better offensive staff it's almost like they are trying to get the hype started already. I refuse to believe... for now.
Marketing team is already working on the 2013 slogan:

Quest for Perfection 2.0
Now, Everyday is Game Day
Rise Up, Again
Look Who's Back

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
northerncougar
Junior

Post by northerncougar »

I remember watching Unga run all over Utah in 2008 and then we decide to stop doing that.

I remember standing in my family room, screaming at Anae to take a knee at the end of the half in the 2008 bowl game, and instead he calls a running play, we lose the ball, UCLA recovers, and scores to take momentum at the half.

I remember watching us get really conservative against Utah in 2009 and almost lose that game.

It will be an upgrade with our O-Line and Offense, from what it has been under Doman. But that's not something to use as a baseline.

Am I the only one who thinks this is a potential disaster?

stgeorgefan
Senior

Post by stgeorgefan »

northerncougar wrote:I remember watching Unga run all over Utah in 2008 and then we decide to stop doing that.

I remember standing in my family room, screaming at Anae to take a knee at the end of the half in the 2008 bowl game, and instead he calls a running play, we lose the ball, UCLA recovers, and scores to take momentum at the half.

I remember watching us get really conservative against Utah in 2009 and almost lose that game.

It will be an upgrade with our O-Line and Offense, from what it has been under Doman. But that's not something to use as a baseline.

Am I the only one who thinks this is a potential disaster?
You might be the only one. Bringing him back just for the O-line alone is a huge improvement.
As far as the offense goes... Byu might have been predictable or had its bumps but the fact that CB and HU ran up all time rushing numbers under Anae makes me believe this is a huge upgrade. If I'm a Byu RB right now I'm really exited at the prospects going forward. Hey we might actually pass to the TE's again ;)