Dead Girlfriend Hoax--Once again a T'eo Story Falls Apart

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Dead Girlfriend Hoax--Once again a T'eo Story Falls Apar

Post by Schmoe »

And why, then, is there no evidence of Lennay Kekua, and why did the media have fake pictures of her, etc. etc. etc.?

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

snoscythe wrote:Brett McMurphy is tweeting the following statement from ND:
Notre Dame coaches informed Dec 26 by Manti Te o & parents Manti had been victim of what appears to be a hoax. Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself w/Manti & then conspired w/others to lead him believe she had tragically died of leukemia Proper authorities continue to investigate, this appears to be, at minimum, a sad & very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators.
Which presents more questions than answers---if ND knew about this nearly 2 months ago, why is it just coming out now? Why did Teo continue to answer questions about the gf leading up to the Heisman ceremony and the BCS Championship if he knew it was a fraud weeks earlier?
It does not add up. If Manti were clean he'd know the picture being used, which was of a live woman in Cali could not and was not the girl he says he met and fell in love with...

Mingjai
All-American

Post by Mingjai »

Jeopardy champ and BYU grad Ken Jennings has my favorite response to this:
WHOA. I am no longer the most famous Mormon to invent an always-suspiciously-absent "girlfriend" in college.
https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/ ... 9389684736

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

BoiseBYU wrote:
snoscythe wrote:Brett McMurphy is tweeting the following statement from ND:
Notre Dame coaches informed Dec 26 by Manti Te o & parents Manti had been victim of what appears to be a hoax. Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself w/Manti & then conspired w/others to lead him believe she had tragically died of leukemia Proper authorities continue to investigate, this appears to be, at minimum, a sad & very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators.
Which presents more questions than answers---if ND knew about this nearly 2 months ago, why is it just coming out now? Why did Teo continue to answer questions about the gf leading up to the Heisman ceremony and the BCS Championship if he knew it was a fraud weeks earlier?
It does not add up. If Manti were clean he'd know the picture being used, which was of a live woman in Cali could not and was not the girl he says he met and fell in love with...
Yeah, I have a hard time believing the "I was duped" line when given the litany of conflicting statements/timeline from he and his family and the number of times he apparently met the girl either in Cali or South Bend. That's a stretch.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Mingjai wrote:Jeopardy champ and BYU grad Ken Jennings has my favorite response to this:
WHOA. I am no longer the most famous Mormon to invent an always-suspiciously-absent "girlfriend" in college.
https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/ ... 9389684736
:lol: :lol: :lol:

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Wow, am I ever grateful that Bronco pulled his schollie offer for this kid. I'm not passing any judgement at this point, but I'm glad BYU has avoided having this mess blow up in its face.

Isola
Sophomore

Post by Isola »

Great tweet by Jennings. He is quite funny.

As for OP, I don't know how this can be a hoax on Manti. He claims they met in person and that she would visit him in Hawaii.

I could understand...no that is the wrong word...I suppose it could be possible to be duped by emails, texts, tweets and even phone calls, although you would have to be really really stupid, but there is no way he was duped by visits in Hawaii from someone who never existed. And the person he was meeting would have to look like the pictures of a completely different person. Not possible.

Isola
Sophomore

Post by Isola »

Good tweet by Mark Durrant too.
I'm pretty sure Jabari has a fake girl friend too.
I wish Brandon Davies had had a fake girl friend too. We may have had a Final Four that way.

tripwire
Sophomore

Post by tripwire »

Assuming the facts in the article are accurate it strains credulity to think that Te'o was a victim of the hoax. He had to have been in on it. Either that or he is one of the dumbest people in existence.
How evil do you have to be to take advantage of people's sympathy by claiming your fake girlfirend died the same day your real grandma did? This is disgusting, sickening, and shameful.

vrob
Recruit

Post by vrob »

It irritates me that in the ND press release he calls himself a "victim". Um ok.