Why we shouldn't call for new coaches

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
brpajense
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Why we shouldn't call for new coaches

Post by brpajense »

I'm not a fan of calling for coaches to be fired. Bronco has won enough games and been here long enough that it wouldn't be weird if he left at the end of the season, but if we fired Anae again at the end of the season and hired someone new, we'd have our third OC and third offensive system in three years. That type of discontinuity is bad for the football program in general.

A head coach has an idea of the identity he wants for his team with its offensive and defensive philosophies, which determines who he will hire as OC and DC. The coordinators hire position coaches, and then the way the coaching staff interacts with the players sets the foundation for the team culture. Returning players help instill the culture and values on incoming freshmen and transfers. It can be five years before a coach at BYU shows their true potential, when their first recruiting classes become juniors and seniors after their missions.

Things rarely change on a dime. Maybe we look at Jaime Hill getting fired and the defense immediately tightening up and think that this is normal, but that was quite exceptional.

If we fire Anae midseason, then we will undoubtedly end up with a losing season. We'd have to bring in another coach--hardly anyone is still available and none of them are good because the good ones got picked up by the start of season. The new OC would have to decide whether to keep Anae's playbook and tweak it a bit even though he might not understand it as intimately as Anae, or implement something new. If we implement something new, then we're months behind every other team because they've been learning the same scheme since Spring ball.

I think it could hurt recruiting if we keep changing things every season. If I were a sought after recruit with multiple offers, I doubt I'd commit to a first year OC or position coach at a school where the average tenure is less than two years.

northerncougar
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Why we shouldn't call for new coaches

Post by northerncougar »

brpajense wrote:I'm not a fan of calling for coaches to be fired. Bronco has won enough games and been here long enough that it wouldn't be weird if he left at the end of the season, but if we fired Anae again at the end of the season and hired someone new, we'd have our third OC and third offensive system in three years. That type of discontinuity is bad for the football program in general.

A head coach has an idea of the identity he wants for his team with its offensive and defensive philosophies, which determines who he will hire as OC and DC. The coordinators hire position coaches, and then the way the coaching staff interacts with the players sets the foundation for the team culture. Returning players help instill the culture and values on incoming freshmen and transfers. It can be five years before a coach at BYU shows their true potential, when their first recruiting classes become juniors and seniors after their missions.

Things rarely change on a dime. Maybe we look at Jaime Hill getting fired and the defense immediately tightening up and think that this is normal, but that was quite exceptional.

If we fire Anae midseason, then we will undoubtedly end up with a losing season. We'd have to bring in another coach--hardly anyone is still available and none of them are good because the good ones got picked up by the start of season. The new OC would have to decide whether to keep Anae's playbook and tweak it a bit even though he might not understand it as intimately as Anae, or implement something new. If we implement something new, then we're months behind every other team because they've been learning the same scheme since Spring ball.

I think it could hurt recruiting if we keep changing things every season. If I were a sought after recruit with multiple offers, I doubt I'd commit to a first year OC or position coach at a school where the average tenure is less than two years.
No offense (and we don't have an offense) but this is dumb. Fire Anae, or don't fire Anae we will likely end up with a losing season. We are now 9 years into the Bronco experience and it is not the success that many want or even say it is. I don't think firing Anae right now is a good idea. The stupid idea came when Bronco hired him earlier this year. Stupid is as stupid does.

As long as this coaching staff is in place we will continue to get the same results. This program is a mess right now but people don't want to see it.

We just lost to team, for the 4th year in a row, that will be lucky to have a winning season.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

BRP is spot on. This program needs continuity and a schedule like those feasted on in the past.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

I think we need to give go fast, go hard time to work. The scheme is good and it will work once we can actually make short yardage plays consistently through the passing game. Ammon Olsen and Taysom in the backfield.

nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

Ammon Olsen and Taysom in the backfield.[/quote]

I'll vote for that.

I do think that Taysom needs to throw much more in practice if he's going to stay at QB. The receivers need to run routes and catch more as well.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

nuk13 wrote:
Ammon Olsen and Taysom in the backfield.
I'll vote for that.

I do think that Taysom needs to throw much more in practice if he's going to stay at QB. The receivers need to run routes and catch more as well.
I think what he needs to do is throw with heavy pressure coming at him. You watch him throw in warmups and he's consistent and right on. But when pressure comes his foot work falls apart and he ends up muscling his throws causing accuracy to plummet.

stgeorgefan
Senior

Post by stgeorgefan »

northerncougar wrote:
We are now 9 years into the Bronco experience and it is not the success that many want or even say it is. I
Before the Utah game Bronco's record was compared to Lavell's. Bronco was 1 game under Lavell. So with the Utah loss Bronco is 2 games under what lavell accomplished in the same period of time. Bronco has played an overall tougher slate of games too.
If Bronco coaches as long as Lavell did then he would be right under a hall a fame coach, and your saying that this is not what many want? The winning % is great under BM. The Bowl winning % is the best ever.
Some fans have selective memory over Byu's past. i wonder what the messages boards would look like if they were around when BYU lost to UTEP. I'm guessing a lot of "fire chow" "Lavell has got to go" .
The GFGH offense as Anae put it preseason "it will be a marathon" Maybe patience is too much to ask for in college football.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

hawkwing wrote:I think we need to give go fast, go hard time to work. The scheme is good and it will work once we can actually make short yardage plays consistently through the passing game. Ammon Olsen and Taysom in the backfield.
The scheme sucks, because the QB running it can;t pass. But also because the OC calling the plays does not know how to properly utilize Hill's skills. How about some short passes? Slants, quick outs, WR screens, skinny posts, crosses? Or a pass to a TE or RB in the flat? How many times do we have to watch Hill throw it 15 yards down the field, to the outside of the field, often on the run, to see he can not consistently make those throws? Because he can't. HE is way too wild.

Anae is not putting Hill in a position to succeed in the passing game right now.

Stirfry
All-American

Post by Stirfry »

stgeorgefan wrote:
northerncougar wrote:
We are now 9 years into the Bronco experience and it is not the success that many want or even say it is. I
Before the Utah game Bronco's record was compared to Lavell's. Bronco was 1 game under Lavell. So with the Utah loss Bronco is 2 games under what lavell accomplished in the same period of time. Bronco has played an overall tougher slate of games too.
If Bronco coaches as long as Lavell did then he would be right under a hall a fame coach, and your saying that this is not what many want? The winning % is great under BM. The Bowl winning % is the best ever.
Some fans have selective memory over Byu's past. i wonder what the messages boards would look like if they were around when BYU lost to UTEP. I'm guessing a lot of "fire chow" "Lavell has got to go" .
The GFGH offense as Anae put it preseason "it will be a marathon" Maybe patience is too much to ask for in college football.

I'm 31. I've had season tickets to the games since 1990. My memories of Lavell are Ty Detmer and Steve Sarkesian (SP?) and then mostly average. Then I remember Crowton and now Bronco. Bronco can be really frustrating and Anae trying to run up the middle 2 out of 3 plays over and over and over again can be really really really frustrating.

However, BYU under Bronco has been as good or better than what I can remember except for 1996 which 2006/2007 weren't far off. I think firing Bronco would likely result in a long long rebuilding process. Look at Utah's basketball team.

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

hawkwing wrote:I think we need to give go fast, go hard time to work. The scheme is good and it will work once we can actually make short yardage plays consistently through the passing game. Ammon Olsen and Taysom in the backfield.
I'm with Hawk. The problem isn't the scheme. It's the QB. THill simply can't throw the ball efficeintly. What's unknown right now is if there is another QB on the roster who can.

GFGH can only work if you're moving the ball. THill's passing baility doesn't allow BYU to do that consistently - so the whole impoteus to run GFGH, which is to tire out your opponent's defense doesn't work. Not stringing enough plays together on multiple consecutive drives won't tire out the defense.

It's time for a QB change. I'll have numbers to back this up later today/week.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!