Was anyone else embarassed?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Was anyone else embarassed?

Post by jvquarterback »

It's almost as if the coaches are trying to do worse at clock management every week.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

Cougarbib wrote:
frdbtr wrote:We don't know what was going through the coaches heads. They had run a play at 1:08 and rushed for more than 10 yards for a 1st down. Maybe they thought the Houston coaches would concede and not call a time out. You don't know. The bottom line is, BYU ran out the clock, won the game and wringing our hands over "what could have happened" is backwards thinking.
Are you serious? Any coach that loses a game by making an assumption like that in a 1 point game where kickoffs have been returned 95 yards, huge punt returns have happened, 65 yard TDs have come on a relatively short pass, defenses are gassed - unemployed.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Maybe I'm missing something here, but did we lose?

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Not embarrassing. An oversight? An over correction from last years USU game? Who knows. There are several far more embarrassing things that need fixed. Like Penalties!!!!! Stupid late hits (#22) that almost cost BYU the game. Getting beat deep more often than usual ( so much for a better defense in 2013). Speaking of which, 37 points given up on D (I count the KO return as essentially a defensive/tackling problem). But 30 nonetheless.

vancouvercougar
All-American

Post by vancouvercougar »

I think Brown's first down clock stopping run confused things. If Brown stays in bounds the clock runs 20 more seconds. Coaches and Taysom should be aware, but hey we won, and it was exciting.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

vancouvercougar wrote:I think Brown's first down clock stopping run confused things. If Brown stays in bounds the clock runs 20 more seconds. Coaches and Taysom should be aware, but hey we won, and it was exciting.
Houston would have probably burned a timeout there, but that still would have changed things.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Our clock management sucks.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Kajdin
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Kajdin »

I think they were trying to see if Houston would concede and let the game end. When they called the TO they were saying we're fighting to the last second. So we pounded another 1st down and won it anyway.

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner

Post by jvquarterback »

Kajdin wrote:I think they were trying to see if Houston would concede and let the game end. When they called the TO they were saying we're fighting to the last second. So we pounded another 1st down and won it anyway.
That would be even more dumb than just admitting they screwed up. What type of coach concedes a football game . . . ?

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

jvquarterback wrote:
Kajdin wrote:I think they were trying to see if Houston would concede and let the game end. When they called the TO they were saying we're fighting to the last second. So we pounded another 1st down and won it anyway.
That would be even more dumb than just admitting they screwed up. What type of coach concedes a football game . . . ?
This. Especially a 1 point game where big plays have ruled the day

Kickoff returned to the house
At least 1 big punt return
A BYU punter that film shows is vulnerable to the block and erratic in punting
A short pass with YAC shredding BYU tacklers all the way to the house
Exhausted players
BYU defenders getting beat deep

Seriously - someone was going to assume that they would concede?

I am sure Houston has film on the end of the UVA game too

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
a1247
Heisman Winner

Post by a1247 »

It was the perfect play to call. You knew that Houston was going to call a timeout as soon as the play was done so why not call that play. No one can get hurt easy simple play to do and the timeout was called. I was more suprised to see them call a play after the timouts were used that involved Taysom running the ball.