Are BYU players soft?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
JayDogg
Gray Shirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Are BYU players soft?

Post by JayDogg »

I think BYU players in general are soft. They are certainly not a clutch group by any means. I think this explains how Matt Reynolds went from being a potential first round draft pick before his senior year to not being drafted at all.

jacksonman
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by jacksonman »

Amen to this post! How can bronco talk national championship while having a track record of soft players and teams, especially when we don't use all our alloyed practices, we often cut practices short, and bronco likes to send his teams to go swim instead of practice several times per year?!

Although the primary problem has been on offense, our defense has showed signs of being soft, including injuries, fatigue and missed tackles/poor tackling technique.

Realistic goals first bronco, like a tough and tested team, then talk national championship.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

NDCougar wrote: I would guess guys like the U/BSU smoke us, just guessing.
Fresno State as well.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Mars wrote:
NDCougar wrote: I would guess guys like the U/BSU smoke us, just guessing.
Fresno State as well.
I'd be curious to see how many LDS players get drafted at those other comparable schools, compared to non-LDS. I don't think there have been a great deal of LDS players drafted from any school other than BYU except the occasional odd man out. Perhaps LDS players are simply soft, because they are more worried about their wife and kids.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

jacksonman wrote:Amen to this post! How can bronco talk national championship while having a track record of soft players and teams, especially when we don't use all our alloyed practices, we often cut practices short, and bronco likes to send his teams to go swim instead of practice several times per year?!

Although the primary problem has been on offense, our defense has showed signs of being soft, including injuries, fatigue and missed tackles/poor tackling technique.

Realistic goals first bronco, like a tough and tested team, then talk national championship.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
If I hit this dead horse 1 more time I can really get my point across!!!!! :whistle:

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

hawkwing wrote: I'd be curious to see how many LDS players get drafted at those other comparable schools, compared to non-LDS. I don't think there have been a great deal of LDS players drafted from any school other than BYU except the occasional odd man out. Perhaps LDS players are simply soft, because they are more worried about their wife and kids.
Ngata Havili Teo Lotuleilei Cameron

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

I think BYU's teams start the season very physical and then get softer as the season goes on because of injury. If you watch the Texas game, I don't think you would call BYU soft in that game but then watch the ND and Nevada games, you wouldn't recognize the 2 teams as being the same.

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

frdbtr wrote:I think BYU's teams start the season very physical and then get softer as the season goes on because of injury. If you watch the Texas game, I don't think you would call BYU soft in that game but then watch the ND and Nevada games, you wouldn't recognize the 2 teams as being the same.
Exactly. We have major depth issues. We're pretty much screwed whenever a starter goes out especially on the lines and at receiver. And we don't even have TE's anymore so our offense gets pretty weak when injuries occur.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Mars wrote:
hawkwing wrote: I'd be curious to see how many LDS players get drafted at those other comparable schools, compared to non-LDS. I don't think there have been a great deal of LDS players drafted from any school other than BYU except the occasional odd man out. Perhaps LDS players are simply soft, because they are more worried about their wife and kids.
Ngata Havili Teo Lotuleilei Cameron
Exactly, very few, often 1 of only a few LDS players.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

mizzoucoug wrote:
frdbtr wrote:I think BYU's teams start the season very physical and then get softer as the season goes on because of injury. If you watch the Texas game, I don't think you would call BYU soft in that game but then watch the ND and Nevada games, you wouldn't recognize the 2 teams as being the same.
Exactly. We have major depth issues. We're pretty much screwed whenever a starter goes out especially on the lines and at receiver. And we don't even have TE's anymore so our offense gets pretty weak when injuries occur.
I would agree with both of these posts.
And as unpopular as it may seem, and as sick as some of you are in my making this point, this is a huge reason why BYU does not belong in a BCS/Big 5 conference.
Case in point, Utah has not dominated the BYU series in the last 12 years through superior talent, they have been superior in toughness and nastiness. Mostly physical toughness but part mental toughness. I hate to say it, but IMO it is the most likely factor to describe the trend.