Ty Detmer vs Taysom Hill

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Ty Detmer vs Taysom Hill

Post by frdbtr »

Ok guys, I am going to do the unthinkable, I am going to compare Taysom Hill to the greatest College QB in the history of College football. This is not to say that Taysom is as Good as the great one but to give some comparison stats just as food for thought.

Ty's Sophomore year (1989) 4433 total yards 38 TD's (Passing and rushing) 15 Interceptions

Taysom Hill's Sophomore year 4282 Total yards 29 TD's (passing and rushing) 14 interceptions.

While Hill's throwing isn't even in the ballpark of Ty's numbers, His Legs made up for it. If Taysom can improve his throwing significantly (I believe that his ability to throw will improve exactly proportionately to the Offensive line's improvement) we will see something we have never seen before at BYU and may never see again.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Re: Ty Detmer vs Taysom Hill

Post by Cougarfan87 »

I think that is the key. His throwing will have to improve SIGNIFICANTLY to get into that realm. He is already explosive with his legs, but the passing is lacking right now. If he can learn to scan the field, exploit defenses, find open receivers, and put the ball on the money he could become not only one of the great ones, but a great one with the added element of great rushing ability. Only time will tell if he makes the jump though. If he does not signficantly improve his passing next season, I think we will have to chalk him up as another pretty good BYU QB.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

Now that gets me excited for next year.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Cougarfan87 wrote:I think that is the key. His throwing will have to improve SIGNIFICANTLY to get into that realm. He is already explosive with his legs, but the passing is lacking right now. If he can learn to scan the field, exploit defenses, find open receivers, and put the ball on the money he could become not only one of the great ones, but a great one with the added element of great rushing ability. Only time will tell if he makes the jump though. If he does not signficantly improve his passing next season, I think we will have to chalk him up as another pretty good BYU QB.
I think the offensive line will need to improve SIGNIFICANTLY if we are going to ever see Hill's throwing potential. If/when that happens, you will see a significant drop in Hill's running stats, which will be a good thing.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

frdbtr wrote:
Cougarfan87 wrote:I think that is the key. His throwing will have to improve SIGNIFICANTLY to get into that realm. He is already explosive with his legs, but the passing is lacking right now. If he can learn to scan the field, exploit defenses, find open receivers, and put the ball on the money he could become not only one of the great ones, but a great one with the added element of great rushing ability. Only time will tell if he makes the jump though. If he does not signficantly improve his passing next season, I think we will have to chalk him up as another pretty good BYU QB.
I think the offensive line will need to improve SIGNIFICANTLY if we are going to ever see Hill's throwing potential. If/when that happens, you will see a significant drop in Hill's running stats, which will be a good thing.
Agreed, we are often victims of our circumstances.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Cougarfan87 wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
I have to disagree with this statement only because of the wording you used. I don't believe in "victim's of circumstance" but the fact is in the ultimate teams sport which football is, the reality of the situation is that BYU's offensive line last year was absolutely horrible. The good news is Robert Anae being a former offensive lineman is aware of how important it is to have a good offensive line and I have to believe that him and 2J will get it fixed.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

frdbtr wrote:
Cougarfan87 wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
I have to disagree with this statement only because of the wording you used. I don't believe in "victim's of circumstance" but the fact is in the ultimate teams sport which football is, the reality of the situation is that BYU's offensive line last year was absolutely horrible. The good news is Robert Anae being a former offensive lineman is aware of how important it is to have a good offensive line and I have to believe that him and 2J will get it fixed.
I knew you would, but I find agreeing with you to be very disagreeable. ;)

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I don't think Hill needs to improve significantly. But he does need to improve. A 15% improvement in his PER would bring him up to the 135 Standard.

And a 135 in each of the losses last year would have likely have been able to get BYU another three or even possibly four wins.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I find that a QB's rushing production is 50% or so as valuable as his passing production.

If I'm given a choice between a QB who will pass for 400 yards a game or one who will pass for 100 yards a game and rush for 300, I'd take the passer any day.

That's not to say that the rushing isn't valuable and a big contribution, it is, but a QB who gets the rest of the team involved is more valuable because the entire field is open to attack, not just the line of scrimmage.

That changes Hill's numbers to:

672 effective QB rushing yards, 5 effective QB TDs, 2938 passing yards, 19 TDs, 14 int.

Grand totals of:
3610 effective yards, 24 TD, 14 int.

Still good numbers, and I think it shows that he's a special talent, but must improve in the passing game to become a great and take BYU to the next level.

jacksonman
BLUEshirt

Post by jacksonman »

The biggest difference I see is the 9 TD difference, which is almost a 25% difference. In my opinion, if Taysom didn't improve at anything but getting 9-12 more TD's (red zone efficiency), that would be enough. Taysom often performed really well until the red zone, where he (or the play calling) just fell a part. I imagine that 10 more TD's would also increase his PR the 15 points Spiff is requiring.