Ty Detmer vs Taysom Hill

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Ty Detmer vs Taysom Hill

Post by frdbtr »

jacksonman wrote:The biggest difference I see is the 9 TD difference, which is almost a 25% difference. In my opinion, if Taysom didn't improve at anything but getting 9-12 more TD's (red zone efficiency), that would be enough. Taysom often performed really well until the red zone, where he (or the play calling) just fell a part. I imagine that 10 more TD's would also increase his PR the 15 points Spiff is requiring.
The Red Zone problems BYU had last year were mostly the offensive line's fault. I listened to "BYU Sportsnation" the Monday after the bowl game and they had Trevor Matich on the show. He was hesitant to bad mouth the offensive line but said that basically in the red zone BYU struggled because with the field condensed it put the other teams defense closer to the line and the line was unable to hold up and get push in that situation. I agree that the difference in TD's was huge for Ty in his sophomore year. I believe that if the line starts doing its job we have seen the last time Hill will rush for so many yards because everyone (including Taysom Hill IMO) would rather see Hill's throwing numbers increase significantly and thus his rushing yards decrease significantly.

jacksonman
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by jacksonman »

frdbtr wrote:
jacksonman wrote:The biggest difference I see is the 9 TD difference, which is almost a 25% difference. In my opinion, if Taysom didn't improve at anything but getting 9-12 more TD's (red zone efficiency), that would be enough. Taysom often performed really well until the red zone, where he (or the play calling) just fell a part. I imagine that 10 more TD's would also increase his PR the 15 points Spiff is requiring.
The Red Zone problems BYU had last year were mostly the offensive line's fault. I listened to "BYU Sportsnation" the Monday after the bowl game and they had Trevor Matich on the show. He was hesitant to bad mouth the offensive line but said that basically in the red zone BYU struggled because with the field condensed it put the other teams defense closer to the line and the line was unable to hold up and get push in that situation. I agree that the difference in TD's was huge for Ty in his sophomore year. I believe that if the line starts doing its job we have seen the last time Hill will rush for so many yards because everyone (including Taysom Hill IMO) would rather see Hill's throwing numbers increase significantly and thus his rushing yards decrease significantly.
The line is obviously not great and needs to be improved. But I think blaming all our offensive woes on them will not improve things.

I don't know how many times I saw the line holding up well to have Taysom scramble away from a good pocket right into a Defender. It can't be easy as an O-lineman trying to hold a pocket for Taysom when he doesn't pay attention to an internal timer, likes to tuck and run, and with the read option. Definitely the line can improve, but Taysom has to stop scrambling right into receivers and he better get rid of the ball within 3-4 seconds instead of trying to tuck and run after waiting those 3-4 seconds.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

SpiffCoug wrote:I don't think Hill needs to improve significantly. But he does need to improve. A 15% improvement in his PER would bring him up to the 135 Standard.

And a 135 in each of the losses last year would have likely have been able to get BYU another three or even possibly four wins.
Yes. But. A 135 PER is an average BYU QB PER across all of their seasons - not just Senior Season PER.Very respectable. Good enough to win the vast majority of the time. Not a GREAT PER, If you define great as McMahon, Young, and Detmer.
Now if you lower the bar to include Wilson, Nielsen, Bosco, and Sarkisan senior seasons - I suspect, but do not know, if 135 qualifies. That would be interesting data.

Drop the bar to include Beck and Hall who sniffed the NFL. Maybe it falls in their compared to their senior seasons.

Hill runs better than any of them - maybe Steve Young is debatable - definitely way better than the others and right in the discussion with Young.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

frdbtr wrote:
Can't believe I agree with Jacksonman, but it is not all on the O Line. They are certainly a big contributor - just not the whole enchilada.

Re FORD's comment. I hope not. I hope Hill's rushing yards stay the same. I just want to see him get them in huge chunks on a few carries like in the Texas game by easily popping into the secondary when the defense is respecting the passing threat including over - the - top.

If Hill gets there - Special Season - Heisman Trophy style.

If Hill becomes a Manziel passer, he will become an even better runner than Johnny Football.

Next year has a much friendlier look to it re racking up stats and wins. Maybe TH will get on a roll.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Hill's best game was more statistically impressive than Ty's best game...but that Houston game was something special...there's a reason why no one else at BYU has ever done it.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Cougarbib wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
Can't believe I agree with Jacksonman, but it is not all on the O Line. They are certainly a big contributor - just not the whole enchilada.

Re FORD's comment. I hope not. I hope Hill's rushing yards stay the same. I just want to see him get them in huge chunks on a few carries like in the Texas game by easily popping into the secondary when the defense is respecting the passing threat including over - the - top.

If Hill gets there - Special Season - Heisman Trophy style.

If Hill becomes a Manziel passer, he will become an even better runner than Johnny Football.

Next year has a much friendlier look to it re racking up stats and wins. Maybe TH will get on a roll.

I never said the Oline was 100% of the problem, I said they were most of the problem. But having said that, if the Oline were getting push off of the line of scrimmage, it opens the play book inside the Red zone. They were getting blown up (go watch the replay games on byutvsports.com) which doesn't help to get the ball into the end zone. Plus we get false starts and holds that move the ball backwards that BYU never could recover from this year.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

The inconsistency of the OL made calling plays that would result in touchdowns difficult. Yes, Hill could have made better throws and receivers could have caught a few more balls, but if you can't run straight ahead with violent consistency in the red zone because your OL can't block well enough, you aren't very efficient.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

stuckinbig10country wrote:The inconsistency of the OL made calling plays that would result in touchdowns difficult. Yes, Hill could have made better throws and receivers could have caught a few more balls, but if you can't run straight ahead with violent consistency in the red zone because your OL can't block well enough, you aren't very efficient.
Yes! This!