Air Force nearly knocks off New Mexico at home

BYU Cougars on the court.
CougarClaw
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Air Force nearly knocks off New Mexico at home

Post by CougarClaw »

It came down the wire with AF down by 1 with a few seconds left. They had to foul NM and talk about clutch free throws... they hit both free throws and got the inbounds Turnover to seal the win by 3.

Nice job by lowly AF to do more against them at home than we could.

I'm glad to see Air force expose some weaknesses, but I think we want to be their only loss in the next few weeks. Glad they pulled it off, still that would have been a HUGE upset.

Dcr36
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Air Force nearly knocks off New Mexico at home

Post by Dcr36 »

I don't want to read too much into this game, but I think it's possible that New Mexico might be a genuine mix of legitimate talent mixed with luck. Assuming that them, SDSU, UNLV and us are the teams that matter this season, consider their record.

1-1 against UNLV, with the win coming after UNLV apparently burned 3 games worth of hustle against us
1-1 against SDSU, with an 2-point overtime win at home and a early-season win that might have caught SDSU off-guard
a four-point win against us

I've give them the bulls-eye argument; they probably are getting everybody's A-game at this point. But games like this, and the near-losses to Wyoming and Utah (credit given, though, Utah looks like they can be a genuine threat at home when they want to be) makes me think we should win at the Marriott if we come out strong.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

UNM has been VERY lucky this year. They got a gift call at home against SDSU to win by 1. They barely escaped a trip Utah last week where they could have lost. And could have easily lost to Air Force at home today thanks to a non-called hold as AF's man drove to the hoop.

They are currently in 1st place at 11-2 (BYU is 10-2) but they just as easily be 8-5. That said, good teams find ways to win games and they have definitely found ways to win.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

lucky or not, they have beaten 5 ranked teams this year. That's a LOT of luck to pull that off. I don't care who you are.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

kitic77 wrote:UNM has been VERY lucky this year. They got a gift call at home against SDSU to win by 1. They barely escaped a trip Utah last week where they could have lost. And could have easily lost to Air Force at home today thanks to a non-called hold as AF's man drove to the hoop.

They are currently in 1st place at 11-2 (BYU is 10-2) but they just as easily be 8-5. That said, good teams find ways to win games and they have definitely found ways to win.
BYU needs to put that game out of reach early and never look back.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Yep. UNM has proven to be very adept at making the necessary plays late in games. The Cougs need to make sure they don't allow UNM to have the opportunity to make those plays.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

kitic77 wrote:Yep. UNM has proven to be very adept at making the necessary plays late in games. The Cougs need to make sure they don't allow UNM to have the opportunity to make those plays.
What worries me is that teams like TCU and Wy have stuck around deep into the second half. I don't see BYU shaking UNM like they did the other two. Ideally, BYU needs a 15 point lead early in the second and keep that lead above 10 points for the second half. Slowly suffocate them with few turnovers, no fast breaks, solid defense and good rebounding.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

CougarClaw wrote:lucky or not, they have beaten 5 ranked teams this year. That's a LOT of luck to pull that off. I don't care who you are.
Especially considering that only 1 of those 5 are currently ranked. They had a lot of luck with their timing...

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars