Carlino to Transfer

BYU Cougars on the court.
vancouvercougar
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Carlino to Transfer

Post by vancouvercougar »

Gunk wrote:Looks legit: http://www.ksl.com/?sid=29303768&nid=49 ... ansferring" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best of luck to you MC and appreciate the effort. While I know there were a lot of critics of your play, I for one enjoyed watching you play.

We now have an issue at PG, though.
What issues do we have at Pleasant Grove?

mizzoucoug
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by mizzoucoug »

He'll be missed. I think what happens when you have a guy who shows infrequent flashes of brilliance on a bad team is that he gets blamed for not being better. In all honesty this is actually a poor basketball team the last 2 years. There are major holes and a serious lack of D1 talent at multiple positions. It's a miracle they went dancing this season. Matt was one of the players who COULD change a game. The problem is that too often he did change a game in the wrong direction.
Last edited by mizzoucoug on Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Metal Bubba
Sophomore

Post by Metal Bubba »

Isn't he graduating? So maybe he wants to go to graduate school where they have a program he's interested in that BYU doesn't have.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

When you die, if you go somewhere where they ask you a bunch of questions about your life and what you learned and all, I think a good way to get out of it is just to say, "No habla ingles." ~ Jack Handey
EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

All I can say is that I'm not surprised, but this is not the way I wanted the scholie crunch solved, nor to I imagine Rose did. MC would have been a significant contributor next season and I don't know that we have someone to step in and give us that same output. Sure, there were things that were very agrivating about his play and slumps, but overall, he was a valued Cougar.

Good luck Matt. :)

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

mizzoucoug wrote:He'll be missed. I think what happens when you have a guy who shows infrequent flashes of brilliance on a bad team that he gets blamed for not being better.
I think this is a fair statement, I think that's what made Carlino such a polarizing player, some fans saw the flashes and were mad at him that he couldn't do that all the time while other fans saw those flashes and acted as if he did play at that level all the time. And then of course there were the CougarCorner fans, who were for the most part pretty even-keeled and accurate in their assessment of his play.

Either way, nothing but the best to him going forward. I hope he finds another high octane offense like BYU where he can excel.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

HoosierCougar wrote:I believe this will only technically be his 3rd school.

He committed to Indiana out of HS but never enrolled, decommitted,
enrolled at UCLA, had issues,
transferred to BYU,
and now to the next stop, where I wish him well.

Matty C - good luck, and may the ball bounce your way (unless you are playing BYU)!
Was never content in High School either. Moved halfway across the country to put himself in what he felt was a better situation for HIS own success.

Who knows what went on behind the scenes. The Dave Rose quote the day before the announcement sounded like Matt was told that he will continue to come off the bench. Who knows if the no schollie for graduated players issue came up like it did in football. No new school has been announced. Sounds like a knee perk reaction to something caused him to act upon feelings that have been building up. I will not call him a quitter if he was asked to return without a schollie, but otherwise - yeah.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Cougarbib wrote:

transferred to BYU,

Matty C - good luck, and may the ball bounce your way (unless you are playing BYU)!
Was never content in High School either. Moved halfway across the country to put himself in what he felt was a better situation for HIS own success.

Who knows what went on behind the scenes. The Dave Rose quote the day before the announcement sounded like Matt was told that he will continue to come off the bench. Who knows if the no schollie for graduated players issue came up like it did in football. No new school has been announced. Sounds like a knee perk reaction to something caused him to act upon feelings that have been building up. I will not call him a quitter if he was asked to return without a schollie, but otherwise - yeah.

What if he legitimately wanted to go to grad school somewhere else?

Guy certainly moves around. But I think all of us are guilty of looking to put ourselves in situations that are the best for us. I think may be a case of not being content with what he has.

No school may not be announced because he hasn't gotten accepted into a graduate school yet. There may a few schools on his list and then whether those schools have a spot on their roster or not is another question.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

mizzoucoug wrote:He'll be missed. I think what happens when you have a guy who shows infrequent flashes of brilliance on a bad team that he gets blamed for not being better. In all honesty this is actually a poor basketball team the last 2 years. There are major holes and a serious lack of D1 talent at multiple positions. It's a miracle they went dancing this season. Matt was one of the players who COULD change a game. The problem is that too often he did change a game in the wrong direction.
There is a huge space between great and poor. You might want to look into that and make more credible comments.

Poor teams do not beat Stanford and Texas away, Gonzaga in Provo, SEC home and away, USA home, away, and neutral, take Oregon to OT on the road, put 2 players on All WCC with a 3rd honorable mention and a WCC all- freshman, WCC player of the year, play teams like Iowa State, UMASS, and Wichita State with a chance to win and finish with a high RPI.

BYU was not a great team. They were much further, however, from being a poor team.

However great or poor a team BYU was, Carlino was obviously viewed as less than Haws and KC by WCC coaches. IMHO, Carlino was the 4th best player on the team - maybe 3rd.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

hawkwing wrote:
mizzoucoug wrote:He'll be missed. I think what happens when you have a guy who shows infrequent flashes of brilliance on a bad team that he gets blamed for not being better.
I think this is a fair statement, I think that's what made Carlino such a polarizing player, some fans saw the flashes and were mad at him that he couldn't do that all the time while other fans saw those flashes and acted as if he did play at that level all the time. And then of course there were the CougarCorner fans, who were for the most part pretty even-keeled and accurate in their assessment of his play.

Either way, nothing but the best to him going forward. I hope he finds another high octane offense like BYU where he can excel.
Bad team? Really?

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Gunk wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:

transferred to BYU,

What if he legitimately wanted to go to grad school somewhere else?

Guy certainly moves around. But I think all of us are guilty of looking to put ourselves in situations that are the best for us. I think may be a case of not being content with what he has.

No school may not be announced because he hasn't gotten accepted into a graduate school yet. There may a few schools on his list and then whether those schools have a spot on their roster or not is another question.

I'd never fault a guy for seeking a good educational situation for himself. It's clear Carlino will not make it to the NBA so he can and should be looking to further his education in a way that will help him succeed for the rest of his life. I have absolutely no problem with that.