Ranking the 2014 Schedule

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.

Of the games listed, which is the LEAST difficult?

@ Texas (8-5)
12%
@ UCF (12-1 #10)
15%
@ Boise St (8-5)
74%

Total votes: 34

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Ranking the 2014 Schedule

Post by ABYUFAN »

Cougarbib wrote:
I see a pattern developing due to us giving away a home game advantage annually.
Yep we're just GIVING THEM AWAY people try to play us straight up, but we actually refuse to do so. If they don't 2 for one us away to home, we'll sue them! We hate having great home games for the fans. Texas was trying and trying and trying to schedule us straight up, and we said, "no way - we're GIVING you an extra game, you don't even have to ask!"

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

ABYUFAN wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:
I see a pattern developing due to us giving away a home game advantage annually.
Yep we're just GIVING THEM AWAY people try to play us straight up, but we actually refuse to do so. If they don't 2 for one us away to home, we'll sue them! We hate having great home games for the fans. Texas was trying and trying and trying to schedule us straight up, and we said, "no way - we're GIVING you an extra game, you don't even have to ask!"
Who said that. What we are doing is setting precedent which reinforces that others might demand the same thing. Then the train goes off the track. We have open home slots with NO MORE open road slots TO GIVE IN RETURN.

Then BAM

savanna state
weber state
Idaho state
and whomever else will give us a 1 and done

I love those great home games that we got, but the consequence of giving all of the road games for them is the annual crapola state game or two.

I was not one of the fans whining that we lost 5 games last year.
I am not one of the fans expecting to run the table this year.

If we beat Texas this year - that will make that series worth the price paid. If we lose, we will continue to hear Ute Trolls and disgruntled fans complain that we always lose to good teams and the data will support that.

My only issue with all of this is when the bashing of our own players and coaches starts when they cannot overcome the deck stacked against them.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

Cougarbib wrote:
Who said that. What we are doing is setting precedent which reinforces that others might demand the same thing. Then the train goes off the track. We have open home slots with NO MORE open road slots TO GIVE IN RETURN.
The key being "might demand" All of the recent P5 schedules have been one for one's. Texas, ND and the one and dones were needed to schedule an Indy schedule at the last minute. Holmoe should have done enouogh by now to earn your trust regardign scheduling, and yet you still harp on about "giving away" home games. When is the last time thtat that happened anyway?

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

ABYUFAN wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:
The key being "might demand" All of the recent P5 schedules have been one for one's. Texas, ND and the one and dones were needed to schedule an Indy schedule at the last minute. Holmoe should have done enouogh by now to earn your trust regardign scheduling, and yet you still harp on about "giving away" home games. When is the last time thtat that happened anyway?
You might want to research that yourself before firing off a series of sarcastic posts.

1. There have been a bunch of 1 and done, 2 for 1, and neutral site games that were not neutral. Ane even then, some of the return dates still have not been scheduled or are rumored to be cancelled. Research it. Some were recent.

2. Holmoe did not need to do it to get an Indy schedule. He could have scheduled the teams that will play us straight up and quite frankly, they would have been the same type of teams we had always played. He did need to do it, to get Texas, ND, Ole Miss, Wisconsin, Michigan, Oklahoma, and probably someone I have forgotten on the schedule. Hopefully we will get the promised return dates. Texas came. Ole Miss was 1 and done. ND has been 2 and none so far. Wisconsin is 1 and none so far. Michigan is a 1 and done iirc or a 2 for 1 that has not been scheduled. Okie was 1 and done and was prior to Independence. So, exactly what great home games did this get us so far?
EDIT: I forgot that TCU one and done. I do not see a return date scheduled with Nebraska or West Virginia.

Answer: Texas. That is it.

3. Holmoe should have earned my trust in scheduling by now. Unfortunately, he has not quite done that. I actually enjoy BYU Football win or lose - just do not enjoy fans with unrealistic expectations going ballastic on players and coaches when they lose these games. I trust you will be right there with me defending the coaches and players when the attacks come right after Texas, UCF, or BSU spoils the perfect season that some fans will feel entitled to in 2014.

And, if we run the table at home and vs the weak road opponents and pull upset wins at BSU and UCF who played us straight up, but lose that extra road game we gave to Texas - I trust you will understand the price we paid to get them to Provo last year. I will. And I will be perfectly OK if that happens.
Last edited by Cougarbib on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

My point is that you claim in your original post that we continue to "give away" home and homes annually. I get that in your mind you could easily do a better job than Holmoe did in the past. That's a stupid thing to fight over, your subjective understanding of the ease in which to create a schedule)

But, what I was saying is that we are NOT currently "giving them away" annually. Your best argument is that we are currently playing the games that we "gave away" in the past (as if anyone would have preferred a home and home with Wyoming rather than a 2 for one with Texas.) You say that I'm wrong on the facts, so Ill say this: I'll claim I am one hundred percent wrong if you can show me where we are currently "giving away" those games (as opposed to playing out the contracts that we had earlier made.) Stated another way, when is the last time we scheduled anything other than a home and home? My best recollection was that it was over a year ago. If I am right, I will once again ask you to "let it go." Your cardiologist will thank you for it I'm sure.

Y 4 Ever
All-American

Post by Y 4 Ever »

frdbtr wrote:Should have been Boise State for a while. I still feel that Houston and USU will be tougher games.
Agreed. Should end: 1. Texas 2. UCF 3. Houston

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

ABYUFAN wrote:My point is that you claim in your original post that we continue to "give away" home and homes annually. I get that in your mind you could easily do a better job than Holmoe did in the past. That's a stupid thing to fight over, your subjective understanding of the ease in which to create a schedule)

But, what I was saying is that we are NOT currently "giving them away" annually. Your best argument is that we are currently playing the games that we "gave away" in the past (as if anyone would have preferred a home and home with Wyoming rather than a 2 for one with Texas.) You say that I'm wrong on the facts, so Ill say this: I'll claim I am one hundred percent wrong if you can show me where we are currently "giving away" those games (as opposed to playing out the contracts that we had earlier made.) Stated another way, when is the last time we scheduled anything other than a home and home? My best recollection was that it was over a year ago. If I am right, I will once again ask you to "let it go." Your cardiologist will thank you for it I'm sure.
it was about a year ago. They could not give any more this year because THEY HAVE NO OPEN HOME DATES LEFT TO GIVE, having already committed so many. NCAA does not allow teams to play too many gsmes on the road to keep certain programs from allowing themselves to sell theemselves out for money.

So, when BYU is trying to find opponents now, there is no room left at the Inn. BYU would have given 1 to Alabama for 2015 a few weeks ago, but, they had none to give.

If BYU has given their last one - I will assume Tom Holmoe learned something.

it seems a little odd, though, that you would happily have given the ND and Texas deals when they were given but think BYU would not do it in the future for the very same reason they did it in the first place.

I would be happy to see BYU play more PAC teams. They may not want us in their conference, but they do play us straight up.

Nothing has changed. Texas, Okie, Michigan, Alabama, etc., will not be giving us straight up deals in the future. Some will not even do 2 for 1. They will not come to Provo.

The math is simple. Give 1 team a year an extra game at their place and you need to find a future opponent every year who will give us 1 and done. It is a myth that it has helped our home schedule.

Texas so far. Once. That is it.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

Cougarbib wrote:it was about a year ago. They could not give any more this year because THEY HAVE NO OPEN HOME DATES LEFT TO GIVE, having already committed so many. NCAA does not allow teams to play too many gsmes on the road to keep certain programs from allowing themselves to sell theemselves out for money.
Your premise is false, and at worst made-up. Michigan exposed the lack of such a rule in 2011 where the only road games it played were it's conference scheduled road games and all four nonconference games were home games. It opened some debate about whether there should be a rule, but nothing ever came of it.

Here's the link to the NCAA rulebook if you want to try and prove your premise:

http://www.ncaapublications.com/product ... s/D110.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To help you out, Section 17.9 is the football scheduling section.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

snoscythe wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:it was about a year ago. They could not give any more this year because THEY HAVE NO OPEN HOME DATES LEFT TO GIVE, having already committed so many. NCAA does not allow teams to play too many gsmes on the road to keep certain programs from allowing themselves to sell theemselves out for money.
Your premise is false, and at worst made-up. Michigan exposed the lack of such a rule in 2011 where the only road games it played were it's conference scheduled road games and all four nonconference games were home games. It opened some debate about whether there should be a rule, but nothing ever came of it.

Here's the link to the NCAA rulebook if you want to try and prove your premise:

http://www.ncaapublications.com/product ... s/D110.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To help you out, Section 17.9 is the football scheduling section.
The rule I heard was not limiting the number of home games. It limited the number of road games. It said a team could not make its players go on the road every week. Otherwise some teams that cannot afford to fund a program would rollover for someone every week to get money. I could be wrong about that rule. I heard it many years ago.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

I think the last 2 for 1 was USC more than a year ago. Lately we have gotten 1 for 1 deals with Cal, Stanford and UCLA.

I think TH did the 2 for 1's to make a splash, get us on the map as we started the indy. Now that we have established ourselves there will be few 2 for 1 deals.