6:30 am Practices?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

6:30 am Practices?

Post by stuckinbig10country »

What do you guys think of this idea?

Personally, with our heavy schedule of night games, I'd rather see practices at 6:30 pm than 6:30 am, but maybe it doesn't really matter.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: 6:30 am Practices?

Post by Gunk »

stuckinbig10country wrote:What do you guys think of this idea?

Personally, with our heavy schedule of night games, I'd rather see practices at 6:30 pm than 6:30 am, but maybe it doesn't really matter.
Does this mean Bronco is practicing more than in previous seasons? If it's more practicing, I'm all for it.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

The reason given was that players often needed classes that conflicted with practice time.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Gunk wrote:
stuckinbig10country wrote:What do you guys think of this idea?

Does this mean Bronco is practicing more than in previous seasons? If it's more practicing, I'm all for it.
Personally, I think the "practice more" crowd doesn't really understand the limitations placed on football coaches. The only time it can become relevant is during bowl prep. Utilizing less practices seems to have more to do with the fact our bowl game is usually one of the first games of bowl season and practice time is going on at the same time as finals.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

That simply is not true. Bronco reduces practices to reduce injury risk given depth issues. He does it in Spring, Fall, and Bowl season. Then someone gets injured at a water park at a team activity. Coaches also enjoy the most family friendly schedule in the country.

They do make very efficient use of time at practice and push conditioning very hard.

They

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

I'm skeptical. I'm not opposed to trying new things, but my prediction is that this will be one year and done. It means players have to show up at 530 to prep, tape-up, and warm up. Players brains are foggy, etc, etc.
But maybe Bronco knows something we don't. If he's doing this for coaches time w family as a primary motivation, I don't like it. Isn't BYU already a sufficiently "peculiar generation" ?
Sometimes running into the wind for the sake of Running into the wind is just spinning wheels.

runbyu1
Sophomore

Post by runbyu1 »

As a former BYU athlete, count me as one who thinks this will be a problem. College kids don't get enough sleep as it is. I'm afraid as the season wears on, the kids will be more and more sleep deprived and mental errors will accumulate along with fatigue injuries, etc.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Ever since the beginning of time college coaches have don't it the old way. Every time I hear the class availability thing I want to call some serious BS on somebody.
Go Fast, Go hard, go early? What did I leave out? Go Long? Or was it Go deep? Don't Go there you sickos.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Bronco prides himself on doing research and applying it to his team. Plenty of research out there about the afternoon being the best time to excercise.

If he is expecting a bunch if college kids to go to bed at 9:30 so they can get 8 hours of sleep (see physiological benefits of sleep) he's really out of touch.

Classes is an excuse. If coaches want the evenings to be with family, they shouldn't coach or hold any high-level church callings. That said. Things are pretty flexible for them in the off season and while I have to get up to get into the office they've got some extra hours in the morning.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I've heard three reasons for the change--

1) to allow upperclassmen better opportunities to schedule classes in their majors.
2) to reduce jet lag for the players when they get an 8am or earlier wake-up call for our three Eastern Time Zone games (meaning 6am Mountain time) where BYU has admitted jet lag has been a factor in the past.
3) to deter late night parties, hanging-out, and other extracurricular activities which the coaching staff has found to be a hot-bed of HC violations.

I haven't seen any good argument for keeping things the way they were in the past other than "That's how we've always done it!" Until I see more convincing arguments, I'm not about to call this a bad idea. Not saying it's a good idea, just saying it's WAAAY premature to be condemning the practice.