I've got an uncle...

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: I've got an uncle...

Post by Gunk »

rblack wrote:Taysom Hill was a running back that could throw. He was not a Riley Nelson quarterback with a death wish. Fans need to understand that there is a difference between the two. It was only a matter of time before Nelson went down because he was not built to take the pounding of getting hit all the time. Coupled with his inability to throw, Nelson was a ticking time bomb. Hill, on the other hand, is bigger and stronger. Did running the football so much increase the opportunity for injury? Yes, that is why our starting running back has been injured twice this year alone. If Hill wanted to play running back in the NFL, you could probably find teams that would go be willing to develop him based on body type. With Hill, it was not simply a matter of time before he got injured. It was a football injury that can happen to any quarterback, running back or receiver. People get tackled in football. Sometimes tackling results in season ending injuries that turn a great team into a mediocre team. A prime example of this would be 2001. Our running back goes down. BYU has a quarterback that can run. He does not go down. However, BYU goes from a great team to a team that isn't. Hill got injured. Not only did Hill get injured, multiple starters got injured. HIll simply had the most impact. It's football. Get over it.
Yet, BYU's best record since the departure of Hall came with Nelson at the helm.

Now, that likely was due to the dominance of the defense, but the fact of the matter is he got it done.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Brayden Green »

We won games in spite of having Riley Nelson at qb, not because of it. Yeah, having the #2 defense in the nation had something to do with it.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

rblack
Sophomore

Post by rblack »

Gunk wrote:
rblack wrote:Taysom Hill was a running back that could throw. He was not a Riley Nelson quarterback with a death wish. Fans need to understand that there is a difference between the two. It was only a matter of time before Nelson went down because he was not built to take the pounding of getting hit all the time. Coupled with his inability to throw, Nelson was a ticking time bomb. Hill, on the other hand, is bigger and stronger. Did running the football so much increase the opportunity for injury? Yes, that is why our starting running back has been injured twice this year alone. If Hill wanted to play running back in the NFL, you could probably find teams that would go be willing to develop him based on body type. With Hill, it was not simply a matter of time before he got injured. It was a football injury that can happen to any quarterback, running back or receiver. People get tackled in football. Sometimes tackling results in season ending injuries that turn a great team into a mediocre team. A prime example of this would be 2001. Our running back goes down. BYU has a quarterback that can run. He does not go down. However, BYU goes from a great team to a team that isn't. Hill got injured. Not only did Hill get injured, multiple starters got injured. HIll simply had the most impact. It's football. Get over it.
Yet, BYU's best record since the departure of Hall came with Nelson at the helm.

Now, that likely was due to the dominance of the defense, but the fact of the matter is he got it done.

My comment was not a knock of Nelson. I enjoyed watching Nelson play. He had fire and competed every second. However, everyone knew that Nelson was going down sooner or later. He was not built to take the pounding he was taking. Week in and week out, minor injuries were building up with Nelson almost every year. His senior year, the injuries became severe enough that he could no longer function as a quarterback. Hill on the other hand was not constantly hampered by minor injuries. Both injuries that took him out were on fluke plays rather than the build up of the beating he was putting himself through.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

rblack wrote:
Gunk wrote:

My comment was not a knock of Nelson. I enjoyed watching Nelson play. He had fire and competed every second. However, everyone knew that Nelson was going down sooner or later. He was not built to take the pounding he was taking. Week in and week out, minor injuries were building up with Nelson almost every year. His senior year, the injuries became severe enough that he could no longer function as a quarterback. Hill on the other hand was not constantly hampered by minor injuries. Both injuries that took him out were on fluke plays rather than the build up of the beating he was putting himself through.
Nelson did go down. He suffered season ending injuries twice. In the last 5 years we've gone through 8 QBs. All of which except for CS have been injured at one point or another. Season isn't over yet.

Bad OLs combined with offenses that used QBs as battering rams hasn't bode well for BYU lately.

We're chewing through QBs. If I am a D1 QB with hopes of going pro, no way I would pick BYU right now.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Gunk, let me ask you this. If you are a prospective QB who is known for running the ball as much as passing, where are you going to go? Utah? They battered Travis wilson and called runs as much as BYU was. It's the way college football has gone the last decade. As far as we know, the best QB at BYU for the last 5 years was the dual threat type QB. It gave BYU the best chance to win games which is why the offense was built around that type of QB. Right now, Anae is attempting to use the offense to CS's strengths which obviously doesn't include a lot of running. If Mangum wins the QB spot next year, I don't think Anae is going to have him running a lot.

I'm as nostalgic as anyone for the drop back passing QB days of BYU, but if I'm a dual threat prospect, I'd put BYU high on my list simply because they've shown they can be both flexible and successful with a dual threat QB.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

BroncoBot wrote:Gunk, let me ask you this. If you are a prospective QB who is known for running the ball as much as passing, where are you going to go? Utah? They battered Travis wilson and called runs as much as BYU was. It's the way college football has gone the last decade. As far as we know, the best QB at BYU for the last 5 years was the dual threat type QB. It gave BYU the best chance to win games which is why the offense was built around that type of QB. Right now, Anae is attempting to use the offense to CS's strengths which obviously doesn't include a lot of running. If Mangum wins the QB spot next year, I don't think Anae is going to have him running a lot.

I'm as nostalgic as anyone for the drop back passing QB days of BYU, but if I'm a dual threat prospect, I'd put BYU high on my list simply because they've shown they can be both flexible and successful with a dual threat QB.
.....if BYu has five more dual threat QBs backed up. This running man era is getting old. Its schizophrenic. The probability is much much higher for a running qb to get hurt. I doubt CS gets hurt the remainder of the season. Why? Bc he isn't sacrificing the next play or the next game for one play. Wilson is lucky he isn't a quadriplegic. And if THill even gets to play another down, if he doesn't switch to a passing qb, he will not make it to the pros.
Was Steve Young's evolution toward a passer or a runner? It's really quite obvious folks! II BYU has to rely on THill to run up field, it is a shotty offensive scheme.
The dual threat qb has been a disaster at BYU. Heaps sucked unless the opponent Dline sucked worse (UTEP) than he did, bc otherwise he was running for his life, except he couldn't--and even he didn't get injured. There is no glory in getting injured. Riley didn't care, but he's was too programmed from HS to do otherwise. THill should be smarter, but isn't. Maybe he has now gained wisdom from his suffering.
Mangum is just fine as is any other passing qb recruit. I would have agreed with Gunk, previously, thinking stone head Anae (not stoned head) was incapable of flexibility. But I'll be danged if he hasn't shown the ability to adjust to CS. More than anything bc he gets the critical nature of not losing his only qb option (as proved by the selection of Nacua as the current backup (most certainly a run first pass second option). So, it can be done. BYU can run a pass first offense and win games.
And as for the assertion that Williams being injured twice bc of volume, that's just not accurate. He had the fewest attempts this year than even his frosh year.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Cougs_Rule wrote:
Was Steve Young's evolution toward a passer or a runner? It's really quite obvious folks! II BYU has to rely on THill to run up field, it is a shotty offensive scheme.
The dual threat qb has been a disaster at BYU. Heaps sucked unless the opponent Dline sucked worse (UTEP) than he did, bc otherwise he was running for his life, except he couldn't--and even he didn't get injured. There is no glory in getting injured. Riley didn't care, but he's was too programmed from HS to do otherwise. THill should be smarter, but isn't. Maybe he has now gained wisdom from his suffering.
Mangum is just fine as is any other passing qb recruit. I would have agreed with Gunk, previously, thinking stone head Anae (not stoned head) was incapable of flexibility. But I'll be danged if he hasn't shown the ability to adjust to CS. More than anything bc he gets the critical nature of not losing his only qb option (as proved by the selection of Nacua as the current backup (most certainly a run first pass second option). So, it can be done. BYU can run a pass first offense and win games.
And as for the assertion that Williams being injured twice bc of volume, that's just not accurate. He had the fewest attempts this year than even his frosh year.
I understand what you are saying, but Heaps actually did have to play injured (remember those ribs), and it's been documented that Nelson was injured while playing the drop back passing role, not while running amuck (think o-line issues). Look no further than the #1 completion QB in the nation at WSU for injuries to drop back passing QBs. Now, I'm sure the % is lower for the drop back passing QB, but my point above is that certain guys play better as a dual QB. Do you think that Hill's injury wouldn't have happened if he wasn't running so much? His injury could have happened at any that he was flushed from the pocket, caught from behind and tackled awkwardly (just like Ole Miss' star WR). Nelson and Hill are some of those guys who play better as dual threat and gave BYU the best chance to win games, so I have no problem with them being utilized to their full potential. what I DON'T like is that BYU's o-line is still so porous that injury was bound to happen, dual QB or not.

Also, I would think that Anae actually prefers a passing first QB as evidenced by his best offenses being run by Beck and Hall. Once again, he was simply working with the QBs that gave him the best chance to win, who were dual threat.