Is BYU basketball getting worse?

BYU Cougars on the court.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Is BYU basketball getting worse?

Post by hawkwing »

Take the following information, there's really only 2 conclusions that I can take from it, either the WCC is significantly better conference than the MWC was or BYU is steadily and consistently getting worse.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Is BYU basketball getting worse?

Post by snoscythe »

Sure feels like it. At least this is the last year Rose can use the age-change for missionaries as an excuse. That's been a tired refrain the last two years when he addresses the Cougar Club.

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

Can it be both? I think the WCC is a tougher conference. Gonzaga is consistently solid. Plus, the Cougs needs more, better horses in the barn if they want to run in derby and be competitive.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Ddawg wrote:Can it be both? I think the WCC is a tougher conference. Gonzaga is consistently solid. Plus, the Cougs needs more, better horses in the barn if they want to run in derby and be competitive.
MWC was a tough conference. This year, the MWC may be down a bit but they were usually a 3 bid conference while BYU had its horses hitched to their wagons. I remember that usually the MWC was ranked in the top 7 conferences, this year I believe the WCC is #9.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

BroncoBot wrote:
Ddawg wrote:Can it be both? I think the WCC is a tougher conference. Gonzaga is consistently solid. Plus, the Cougs needs more, better horses in the barn if they want to run in derby and be competitive.
MWC was a tough conference. This year, the MWC may be down a bit but they were usually a 3 bid conference while BYU had its horses hitched to their wagons. I remember that usually the MWC was ranked in the top 7 conferences, this year I believe the WCC is #9.
Quoting myself here BUT... Every team has their ups and downs (unless you are kentucky with Capn at the helm). BYU would have most certainly competed for a championship in the WCC in nearly every year previous to the year they joined the WCC. A combination of losing Jimmer/Davies/Emery at around that same year was a lot to overcome. Th problem is, I haven't seen much progress is chasing the gaels and zags.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

hawkwing wrote:Take the following information, there's really only 2 conclusions that I can take from it, either the WCC is significantly better conference than the MWC was or BYU is steadily and consistently getting worse.
I think the real question is... how many BYU fans actually care?

Following a loss in football (and it doesn't really matter if it's a great, mediocre or poor team that BYU loses to) this and other forums literally blow up with doom and gloom. BYU has lost 2 in a row to teams you could call inferior and it's crickets around here. Just an interesting observation. I'd actually like to see less whining post-football losses personally.

nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

We sure don't seem to be getting better. We have a hole in the hole. That is either coaching or recruiting which both points the same way. No matter how good your wings and guards are you have to have more than what we have down low. We have had good things but we've either been passed up or we are getting worse. I hope it is just injuries but that isn't the only problem.

BYUBALLIN
Sophomore

Post by BYUBALLIN »

Let's not forget the over the next 2 years we got a lot of talent coming off missions.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

BYUBALLIN wrote:Let's not forget the over the next 2 years we got a lot of talent coming off missions.
When don't we say this? What year hasn't this seemed true?

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

Schmoe wrote:
BYUBALLIN wrote:Let's not forget the over the next 2 years we got a lot of talent coming off missions.
When don't we say this? What year hasn't this seemed true?
This year. We knew that this year we didn't have any tallent coming off of a mission, and that much of our front court depth is at the freshman level. It's been a tough year, but still fun to watch