SMC Tonight . . . Count it as a win!

BYU Cougars on the court.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: SMC Tonight . . . Count it as a win!

Post by BroncoBot »

scott715 wrote:Sharp went 1 for 2 from 3 just a game or two ago. He made a 3 from the corner as the shot clock expired. He felt so good he tried again just a minute or two late and missed badly.
You are right. He's 10/17 this year. Not bad.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Here is the replay.

http://www.byutv.org/watch/event/154bf3 ... b950f27a9a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SpoCoug
Recruit

Post by SpoCoug »

Isn't third place just as good as second as far as staying out of Gonzaga's side of the WCC Tournament brackets?

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

We're in 4th behind Pepperdine who swept us this year.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

scott715 wrote:We're in 4th behind Pepperdine who swept us this year.
Nope, pepperdine has lost their last 2. BYU sole possession 3rd right now.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... conference" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

SpoCoug wrote:Isn't third place just as good as second as far as staying out of Gonzaga's side of the WCC Tournament brackets?
This is true... good point.

Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Qman »

Just finished watching the replay.

First of all--we had a defensive gameplan that we executed. Played in the post to force Waldo to the baseline and help. All the help D rotations were setup. Dunno if haven't Sharp play minutes instead of less experienced players made us execute the gameplan better.

Second KC was very aggressive going to the hoop and looking to score and we needed it with Haws in foul trouble.

3rd Haws getting foul trouble helped in a weird way. Their game plan was focused on Haws and when Halford and Fischer were drilling 3's and KC was slashing to the hoop they lost their focus with Haws on the bench.

4th We won the rebounding battle 37 to 26. We lost 41 to 28 at St. Mary's. I see better effort, better defensive positioning and better athletes playing more.

Our role players and bench players did their jobs. They also didn't try to do too much. It was about as good BYU can play.

Kaufusi's defensive positioning so much better.

We could try to oversell this but we played D and hit shots right out of the game. They made a push and we answered. That was the whole ballgame.

If I am Coach Rose, I give Winder time to get completely healthy. We should be able to beat Pacific without him. I wonder who goes to the bench when Winder is back. And the answer is probably Fischer.

Oh and Worthington should be worried about getting his scholarship pulled. He just isn't providing a lot.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Forgot to mention: HUGE props to Kaufusi. The dude played smart, forcing Waldo to his off hand and keeping his feet on the ground, avoiding picking up dumb fouls. He also seems to be getting the feeling for when he should come over as help defense and what angles to take to get the clean block.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

So as it stands right now, we are in good shape for the WCC tournament so long as we take care business (as we should) against Pacific, USD and Portland we should remain in at least 3rd place and not see Gonzaga until the finals. This is assuming we lose to Gonzaga and Pepperdine loses to Gonzaga as well - both most likely to occur at this point. If somehow Pepperdine beats Gonzaga and doesn't lose to someone else, then we are stuck at 4th (Doubt this happens - and they'd deserve 3rd in that scenario). Even if Pepperdine wins out, If we win out, including beating Gonzaga then we hold 3rd (at least). Our destiny is in our own hands.

I think if we beat Pacific, USD and Portland, lose to Gonzaga, win the first two rounds of the WCC tourney, then our NCAA tournament hopes are still possible. Likely on the bubble, maybe a little less likely chance of getting in than last season. Win out, including 1 one against Gonzaga in regular season (or obviously in the tourney) puts us in the NCAA tournament. Lose to USD, Portland or Pacific and the only chance we have is to win the WCC tournament.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Schmoe wrote:Forgot to mention: HUGE props to Kaufusi. The dude played smart, forcing Waldo to his off hand and keeping his feet on the ground, avoiding picking up dumb fouls. He also seems to be getting the feeling for when he should come over as help defense and what angles to take to get the clean block.
Yes. Either it was brilliant defense vs Waldo or he was just passive compared to the first game. Step one: don't leave your feet unless you want to risk a foul. Check.
Step two: push him to weak hand. Step three: double down with someone (sharp, not Nixon) quick who can recover and get back on own man. Check. Solid game plan.
Two biggest reasons for win: BYU shot over 60% from 3 for most of the game and SMU shot 20%. BYU out rebounded SMU by 12 and in Moraga under by 13. 25 rebound swing. BALLGAME.