BYU-Miss St series 2016 (Provo) and 2017 (Starkville)

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
jacksonman
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU-Miss St series 2016 (Provo) and 2017 (Starkville)

Post by jacksonman »

I have to agree with Schmoe here (shock!). Let's stop worrying about a national championship and focus more on an exciting and fun season playing great teams with tradition and rankings! Every week can be our "national championship" game when playing top-25 teams 4-6 times per year. And if we have a great team, we might be able to pull off a miracle and deserve a national championship shot. Scheduled like this also help recruiting and help excite the fan base (unless some dumb decisions and stubbornness by Bronco start costing us games again). But no complaints from me on these schedules (except more home games against the big teams would be nice but completely understand why we have to schedule the away game first most of the time). This was a great scheduling get by Holmoe!

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Two things I like most about the series are:
1) the first game is in Provo
2) the games aren't in Sept

We don't seem to have issues filling games in Sept. It was getting games in Oct & Nov that seemed have been posing the larger challenge.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Mars wrote:
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Schmoe wrote:Ah yes, because someone disagrees with you, they must be "irrational." It seems to me like a good home and home, with no pseudo-neutral games and that takes place in the near future, especially with us hosting first, is definitely something to celebrate. I don't see it as Holmoe selling us out or selling us short.

How many have complained that we haven't gotten "big wins" or beat teams that finished ranked? You know why some other schools have more of those wins? Because they play more of those games. If you have little faith that we can compete in a P5 conference, then I can see why you might be upset by playing a P5 schedule, but if you "irrationally" believe that we could compete in a P5 conference (not meaning that we'd go undefeated, but that we'll be competitive and take some games from big-name schools) then it seems like something to celebrate.
I have very little problem with people disagreeing. I have an issue with cowardice in down voting without having a debate. Actually I could care less about the weenie voting system on CC, particularly the negative votes. The more the better. The more that happen the closer CC is to seeing the silliness of this system.
Perhaps the system is in place to act as a red flag for those who can't tell for themselves how disagreeable their tone has become. Differing opinions are good, but bad attitudes can wear thin. We all suffer from that same problem from time to time, myself generously included. That's why we downvote posts, and not posters. We all have moods, and we can all change.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Don't worry, I know and could care less.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

SpiffCoug wrote:Two things I like most about the series are:
1) the first game is in Provo
2) the games aren't in Sept

We don't seem to have issues filling games in Sept. It was getting games in Oct & Nov that seemed have been posing the larger challenge.
Sure. Glass half full. Can't argue here.....until BYU starts getting over loaded with top opponents. Until then, most of you are right. But if, then, some of you will start to question the rationale and sacrifice of our boys, poor records piling up, lost recruits, and fans and media that turn on bronco for not being able to adapt, and bronco says I'm out.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

jacksonman wrote:I have to agree with Schmoe here (shock!). Let's stop worrying about a national championship and focus more on an exciting and fun season playing great teams with tradition and rankings! Every week can be our "national championship" game when playing top-25 teams 4-6 times per year. And if we have a great team, we might be able to pull off a miracle and deserve a national championship shot. Scheduled like this also help recruiting and help excite the fan base (unless some dumb decisions and stubbornness by Bronco start costing us games again). But no complaints from me on these schedules (except more home games against the big teams would be nice but completely understand why we have to schedule the away game first most of the time). This was a great scheduling get by Holmoe!
Exposure, good coaching personalities and most of all WINNING, brings recruits. Records are a distant fourth or fifth, particularly when 6-6 and Losing seasons, which loses recruits. Studs want to play with studs in a winning program

By the way, I'm sorry Bubblebathman, I had to give you a down vote for simply one Ioda of a negative attitude about bronco. Sorry bro. Go soak yourself.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Cougs_Rule wrote: Don't worry, I know and could care less.
So you're here to B&M, not to discuss BYU sports. If you don't want to participate in discussion, should we just ignore you? Because if you did want to discuss, tone is important, not something to dismiss entirely.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Why are we crying for our poor boys? The team, coaches, and admin all seem really excited for the opportunity.

BYU always gets slammed for playing weak schedules, not being in a P5 conference, losing to teams they shouldn't, etc. And that's just from the fans. The local and national press are nicer to the Cougs than some "fans" are.

I'm not perfect in my support, but the "oh, how are we ever going to compete," fans baffle me.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

stuckinbig10country wrote:Why are we crying for our poor boys? The team, coaches, and admin all seem really excited for the opportunity.

BYU always gets slammed for playing weak schedules, not being in a P5 conference, losing to teams they shouldn't, etc. And that's just from the fans. The local and national press are nicer to the Cougs than some "fans" are.

I'm not perfect in my support, but the "oh, how are we ever going to compete," fans baffle me.

So when BYU goes 4-8 or 5-7 or 6-6 for a couple of years, will you also not understand why they have gone all fair weather all of a sudden? Or will you just not understand the few jerks like me that say, I told you guys this was coming.
Besides, what else should our valiant boys be saying? "Ah this sucks we are going to get our arses kicked?" No, that won't happen until about the third or fourth tough away game and several bad injuries and the media whining, fans blaming, etc, etc. Before they come home and feel like a DII team all hammered and spent... Oh and losing to teams like Nevada and Utah state..........oh wait, that already happens. Ok, I'm about done with my "B&M" on this topic.
For the record, ya, it's exciting for the P5 acceptance. It's exciting to see what matchups come up and if we can actually get something for our one and done road campaigns.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

Cougs_Rule wrote:Some of you thin-veneered fans trying to dog pile me with down votes is not only laughable but you have given into the innanenesss of this sophomoric system. What's next? You going to give Sno a down vote for agreeing with me? Credit you Sno. My concerns on this topic are clearly challenging the "level of education" by some of the readers/posters of this site.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Perhaps the voting system is a form of feedback and should be consider to determine what it means for the user.