Expectation control and pleasant surprises

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Expectation control and pleasant surprises

Post by BoiseBYU »

We have room for improvement and some of you have pointed that out well. Here's a few things I was pleasantly surprised with ( recognizing it's just one game)

The team played disciplined. Very few penalties. A real improvement!

Anne called a good game. Gaining over 500 yards, let alone it being against NE at NE is quite good

OLine. Sure there were 7 TFL of which 3 were sacks, BUT QBs generally had time to check off and make plays. And only two holding penalties.

Receivers dropped a couple but they were open a lot and Houk and Kurtz had some very nice catches. And then there was Matthew's catch. Wow.

Tanner played well and with composure. I'm bragging I know, and it's not like I'm the only one, but I've been saying that when the time came BYU fans would be very pleased with him. He's a leader with a very good arm. Very good. He is a special player.

That brings me to expectation control. The team just lost its heart and soul. You can't replace Taysom. Tanner will be a great QB but he is just three months off his mission and now that teams can scheme for him, he'll no doubt have some setbacks and challenges. BSU's bringing to Provo perhaps the best D they've ever had. Totally dominated Washington. It will be interesting to see how Tanner and the rest of the O respond. I just hope fans aren't expecting too much too soon.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Expectation control and pleasant surprises

Post by frdbtr »

BoiseBYU wrote:We have room for improvement and some of you have pointed that out well. Here's a few things I was pleasantly surprised with ( recognizing it's just one game)

The team played disciplined. Very few penalties. A real improvement!

Anne called a good game. Gaining over 500 yards, let alone it being against NE at NE is quite good

OLine. Sure there were 7 TFL of which 3 were sacks, BUT QBs generally had time to check off and make plays. And only two holding penalties.

Receivers dropped a couple but they were open a lot and Houk and Kurtz had some very nice catches. And then there was Matthew's catch. Wow.

Tanner played well and with composure. I'm bragging I know, and it's not like I'm the only one, but I've been saying that when the time came BYU fans would be very pleased with him. He's a leader with a very good arm. Very good. He is a special player.

That brings me to expectation control. The team just lost its heart and soul. You can't replace Taysom. Tanner will be a great QB but he is just three months off his mission and now that teams can scheme for him, he'll no doubt have some setbacks and challenges. BSU's bringing to Provo perhaps the best D they've ever had. Totally dominated Washington. It will be interesting to see how Tanner and the rest of the O respond. I just hope fans aren't expecting too much too soon.
I watched that Washington game and while I am sure BSU's defense is good, that WA QB was horrible. With an average QB, Washington wins that game. Tanner didn't play enough in the NE game in order to give away too many things that teams can game plan for but after that we will see. I am interested in seeing if he shows the same composure in the BSU game that he did coming in unexpectedly in the NE game after having had to prepare all week and have those nerves of knowing he is the starter. If he looks as composed, we may have something special. Hope he develops quickly, or this year could end up being one to forget as a cougar fan.

MesaCougFan
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by MesaCougFan »

I think we learned a ton about Tanner's composure on Saturday. I can't imagine that there is a scenario that he could have been thrown into that could have created more pressure than at Nebraska. His first throw was a work of art, rolling right far sideline on the run, and it was on the money! Very difficult throw. It shows a level of instinct that can't be taught. I would guess a game against his hometown team in LES has been high on his list forever. This one is gonna be special for him. Expectations are low (he's a freshman, 3 months removed from his mission, he's replacing probably the best athlete that BYU has ever had at QB, he'll never be as good as Taysom). When the expectations are lower, the pressure is lower. It's going to be a great 2nd stop on my "4 for 40". How can the team one up what they did on Saturday in Nebraska?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

MesaCougFan wrote:I think we learned a ton about Tanner's composure on Saturday. I can't imagine that there is a scenario that he could have been thrown into that could have created more pressure than at Nebraska. His first throw was a work of art, rolling right far sideline on the run, and it was on the money! Very difficult throw. It shows a level of instinct that can't be taught. I would guess a game against his hometown team in LES has been high on his list forever. This one is gonna be special for him. Expectations are low (he's a freshman, 3 months removed from his mission, he's replacing probably the best athlete that BYU has ever had at QB, he'll never be as good as Taysom). When the expectations are lower, the pressure is lower. It's going to be a great 2nd stop on my "4 for 40". How can the team one up what they did on Saturday in Nebraska?

They can one up it by WINNING at home. But they can more easily one down it by losing focus from emotional win and emotional loss of THill and lose at home. BSUs D is strong but not indomitable as suggested. And their O is way down from last year.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Mangum's performance in this one game put to bed any residual concern I had about him as a highly touted high school player after the bad taste JH left with me.

I never saw Heaps coming right out of high school show any inkling of the guts that Mangum showed on Saturday more than two years removed from any sort of real game experience. Mangum got absolutely planted on his 4th-and-1 throw up the sideline to Kurtz, and then he go up and took stood in the pocket and scrambled up the field taking more hits without flinching.

He'll have to protect himself as our bench just got a LOT shallower, but he showed the heart JH lacked, and showed the ability to make the throws. I can be patient with this kid.

billbillbillbill
BLUEshirt

Post by billbillbillbill »

A agree about him having guts. It seems whenever backup quarterbacks come in, it is 3 plays in a row of hand offs. Even for that quick series in the 2nd quarter, Mangum was throwing and moving the ball. I am cautiously excited.

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

I think we can still handle BSU without Taysom. There was an impressive team-level performance against Nebraska, and we will have it on Saturday. I am hesitant now to say better than 2-2 for September. But, I think we will still start 2-0.

Can we expect a freshman to take a victory from the Rose Bowl? The big house? I have no idea, but I won't count it out. My bold prediction is we steal one of those two. My regular prediction, and this is due to the full team effort I saw ahainst NU...we will take down Boise State. Cheer it loud, gents. We need the home crowd thumping on Saturday night!

Y 4 Ever
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Y 4 Ever »

Think about it this way - BYU just lost their best Offensive player and team leader, AND their best D player (arguably...per Bronco), during the game, and still beat Nebraska, on the road.

You can't tell me that the BSU game will be tougher than Nebraska.

I watched that BSU / UW game. I'm sure that UW has some athletes on D, but they held BSU in check for most of that game. BSU QB looked pretty pedestrian. Their RB looked decent, but we can handle a good RB. I'd be surprised if our D can't hold them in check, especially after getting Nacua back.

I expect BYU to win, pulling away in the 2nd half. And I expect this to be Tanner's real coming out party. He and Matthews and Kurta and Houk and Juergens and Blackmon are going to have a field day, I believe.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I think the impact of losing Travis Tuiloma may have been a bit exacerbated last week. When he went down, we also lost a starting ILB in Pikula (?) whose backup was already playing out of position due to the Takitaki suspension, so he was essentially replaced by the third option at that position. Pikula will be back for BSU.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

TulaneVandyRiceCoug wrote:I think we can still handle BSU without Taysom. There was an impressive team-level performance against Nebraska, and we will have it on Saturday. I am hesitant now to say better than 2-2 for September. But, I think we will still start 2-0.

Can we expect a freshman to take a victory from the Rose Bowl? The big house? I have no idea, but I won't count it out. My bold prediction is we steal one of those two. My regular prediction, and this is due to the full team effort I saw ahainst NU...we will take down Boise State. Cheer it loud, gents. We need the home crowd thumping on Saturday night!

BYU will not lose to UCLA or Mich Bc the crowd is loud or intimidating. UCLA is not as loud as Nebraska. And although Mich has like 10k more fans than Neb, Mangum will not be initmidated as many other QBs can be. Now, he may get sacked and abused by Mich D, but that is a different matter. He has already passed the loud crowd test.

As for another post, BSUs strength is in its D. Our D will hold their O. So If BYU can avoid turnovers and protect our QB to give him time to throw, BYU will win this game.