Would it make any sense for Taysom to come back?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
KingCoug
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Would it make any sense for Taysom to come back?

Post by KingCoug »

I mean, would it make sense for BYU?

If it was a case of Mangum only playing a few games before Taysom came back, that would be one thing. But Mangum is our guy the rest of the year. And the years following. It wouldn't make much sense to play him all year and then bench him for Taysom next year, especially when I think it's a virtual certainty that Taysom would get injured again at some point. He just can't stay healthy.

I have no illusions that we may be in for some growing pains with Mangum. But he shows a lot of promise and the experience he gets now should pay off big in following years. All due respect to Taysom for everything he's done, and I wish him the best, but at this point Mangum is both the present and the future.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Would it make any sense for Taysom to come back?

Post by hawkwing »

What if Mangum doesn't work out?

What if Mangum gets injured?

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

Unless Tanner toltally sucks, I agree that I don't think you can bench him next year. It sounds totally ungrateful to say that since Taysom is such a stud and great guy, but it is what it is. You have to move on at some point for the good of the program.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
jbluesuu
Recruit

Post by jbluesuu »

I think this might be a matter of unfinished business for Taysom. If I were in his shoes I would try to come back. Maybe he is not like me, but maybe he is. I see this as a matter of not leaving anything on the table. If he can recover physically and he has the desire to come back, he should come back. all the other stuff can be figured out when we get there.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Not to BYU. If he comes back to football he'll go to Michigan with Harbaugh, and I would cheer heartily for him.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

DarthMagnus
BLUEshirt

Post by DarthMagnus »

Taysom is very keen on getting an excellent education. He's smart enough to know his shot at the NFL has been greatly diminished and that football is no longer his future. The undergrad finance program at BYU is exceptional but an opportunity to add Michigan post-grad to his resume WHILE playing football AND playing for Harbaugh--yeah, I'd be surprised if he didn't go that route.

imuakahuku
All-American

Post by imuakahuku »

Of course it makes sense. Why wouldn't you want the best player in college football to come back? His injury is a freak injury. Next year we could use that best player. My suggestion would be to prep both of them and give TM every third drive to keep his progressing going while TH totally dismantles the teams on his drives. And if they both do then even better. I think it could work because of the character of the two players.

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

imuakahuku wrote:Of course it makes sense. Why wouldn't you want the best player in college football to come back? His injury is a freak injury. Next year we could use that best player. My suggestion would be to prep both of them and give TM every third drive to keep his progressing going while TH totally dismantles the teams on his drives. And if they both do then even better. I think it could work because of the character of the two players.

A freak injury? He's been injured 3 straight years on a row. That's called a pattern. Nothing freak about it.

And assuming Mangum does well, it would be counterproductive to play him all year and then either bench him or switch him and Taysom out.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

This topic not only strikes me as premature, but as inappropriate. This topic is a bridge that will be crossed by Taysom and Bronco when they get there. Right now, Taysom is focused on recovering physically and Bronco is focused on winning games. This decision will happen sometime in 2016. I would love to see Taysom come back. He's the most exciting QB I have seen play in a long time. I would love to see Taysom prove the naysayers wrong.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Ddawg wrote:This topic not only strikes me as premature, but as inappropriate. This topic is a bridge that will be crossed by Taysom and Bronco when they get there. Right now, Taysom is focused on recovering physically and Bronco is focused on winning games. This decision will happen sometime in 2016. I would love to see Taysom come back. He's the most exciting QB I have seen play in a long time. I would love to see Taysom prove the naysayers wrong.

Totally agree. Tanner has a lot to prove. He's thrown 11 passes and had one of them change the course of 2 teams football seasons (so far).

If Taysom wants to come back I'm all for it. Weren't we talking heisman candidate just over one week ago? Who doesn't want that on his team

Michigan? were did these rumors come from? I doubt Hill has put much though into transferring already. A lot of people were saying that a healthy Hill was going to get us 10 wins, even with this brutal schedule. But fans seem to be plenty willing to ship him off as soon as possible and coronate Mangum as the starter for the next 4 years. I don't get it.

And yes, the injuries were more coincident than a pattern. No one is able to confidently say whether Hill could play all next year or get injured again at this point. No injury has been related to the other as far as we know. Tanner could be just as injury prone.