The Pukes

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: The Pukes

Post by BoiseBYU »

The only thing worse than ute envy is penis envy. Come on already! The fact that the Utes have a good gig going this year does not mean our season is any less exciting, satisfying and interesting, at least to me. It is not a zero sum game. The Pac12 is way overrated this year and the Utes are riding it well, because they are well coached, have seniors in key positions and have avoided the injury bug. So give them their due. Their wins do not mean their coaches are now classy. It does not mean the student body is smarter. It does mean their football team is doing well and in the setup we have it means they get extra attention as a result of the arrangement the power 5 have concocted. Let them have it. For me, I don't even follow them much at all. I'm too busy enjoying miracle finishes, wondering how we overcome significant injuries and doing it all with the fourth toughest schedule so far this year.

Montana Coug
Gray Shirt

Post by Montana Coug »

I get what you are saying. I think that saying people envy the U would not be accurate from my perspective. My feelings are not feelings of envy, they are feelings of concern. When our biggest recruiting rival has the record to hold up that they have I would have to believe it has to impact recruitment....especially instate. We will still get our share, but I'm sure we lose out on some prospective players. Which is a huge problem due to our lack of depth. If a recruit commits after seeing BYU beat Nebraska or BSU you can bet we will lose out on some if the U is in the playoffs and gathering all that exposure. I still think that BYU not being in a P5 conference hurts us (not that this is all up to us) AND that having the U in the PAC 12 really hurts us (more then BYU not being in a conference). There are so many terrific LDS athletes in California and Arizona and if I lived there and had a son AND no previous alleged to either school I would really prefer to see my son or daughter in the U in the PAC 12 so I could easily see them at their USC, ASU, Ariz, and UCLA games. I'm convinced that if BYU had gotten the PAC 12 invite we would be a premier team quickly due to our ability to sell parents on BYU and their ability to regular watch their child.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Stirfry
All-American

Post by Stirfry »

I think about 1/2 of you are losing your minds like an AP voter. Every 4-5 years utah does something amazing? When was the last time? I remember 2010 when they started 7-0 and said they were disrespected to only be ranked 7/8 or something. Problem was anyone looking at their schedule in August saw that if they beat Pitt they wouldn't lose until week 8. They then went 2-2 and those two wins were extremely fortunate.

They have done something amazing 1 time with kwitt and it required a lot of good fortune on the way.

We lose a game we shouldn't every year and they don't? Pick season outside of 2008 and you'll find a game that they forgot to show up for.
They beat Michigan in game 1 and squeaked by Cal in the last minute at home despite 6 turnovers. Their Dline is awesome but Whitts indifference towards the offense will catch up to them. Az state and USC have both underperformed and could get it together. Washington could beat them. UCLA could beat them. Their offense is way to big of a liability.

They hit the ranking lottery with beating Oregon before they were totally exposed. Then a whole lot of teams lost on the right weekend. They're good and probably in the 10-15 range if Booker and Wilson stay healthy. The mighty Pac is so jacked up right now that a 2 lose team in the south might make it out though.

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it
sandiegoblue
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by sandiegoblue »

I used to hate the Utes. Now I strive to root for them albeit with my blue goggles on. What happened? Over the last few years, I have developed a massive distaste for the hate between the 2 teams and the fans. I got so sick of hearing the sewage spill out on both sides. So, a couple years ago I made a decision to stop hating and start rooting for the Utes as a casual supportive fan.

BYU is my favorite team and my passion when rooting. And when the Utes play, I exercise mental/emotional discipline to see them in a positive light. I don't care how ridiculous this seems. Consequently, it's slowly creating a healthier balance of fandom for me. I have always love college sports, and now I enjoy it even more.

Ute and Cougar friends of mine scratch their heads at my decision, but it works for me.

Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarfan87 »

sandiegoblue wrote:I used to hate the Utes. Now I strive to root for them albeit with my blue goggles on. What happened? Over the last few years, I have developed a massive distaste for the hate between the 2 teams and the fans. I got so sick of hearing the sewage spill out on both sides. So, a couple years ago I made a decision to stop hating and start rooting for the Utes as a casual supportive fan.

BYU is my favorite team and my passion when rooting. And when the Utes play, I exercise mental/emotional discipline to see them in a positive light. I don't care how ridiculous this seems. Consequently, it's slowly creating a healthier balance of fandom for me. I have always love college sports, and now I enjoy it even more.

Ute and Cougar friends of mine scratch their heads at my decision, but it works for me.
I happened to be in Utah for the ECU game, and was up at temple square wearing my BYU gear. A man walked by in his full Ute gear and said, "Go cougs." It actually dumbfounded me a bit. I didn't know how to respond. I think I muttered "Good morning," even though it was afternoon. He was probably thinking "Poor zoob, doesn't even know what time of day it is." :blush:

But seriously, we have a lot of former BYU players that have family members as Utes. There are good LDS kids playing there. I even have family members that have graduated from the U recently. So, in my own personal life, I am trying not to hate them so much. Well, it's a start anyway. ;)

Perhaps the break from the rivalry game can be a good thing if fans approach eachother with some perspective and courtesy.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
TheDean
Freshman

Post by TheDean »

I used to like rooting for the Utes to win ans liked to wish them well until Urban Meyer ruined it by taking a friendly rivalry and turning it into a bitter feud. This was so unneccesary and now the Ute fans are so arrogant and think they are kings of the world even when sitting at the bottom of the Pac 12 as such I can no longer root for them to win only to lose in the hopes that maybe if they lose enough the Ute fans will find sxome humility. Until then I hope the Utes lose.

bamf3000
BLUEshirt

Post by bamf3000 »

I'm more surprised that BYU continues to do well despite most of the players being LDS and a lot of top talent wouldnt even consider a dry campus and religious school. I think the Utes are good this year and Booker is very impressive. I also think Witt is a smart coach and keeps his team focused. Bronco just isnt a tough, inspiring coach.

I also think the Utes will lose a couple this year and have had some luck thrown their way and have remained healthy. We have seen injuries and had some luck thrown our way too. Just gotta take them winning as something independent of us winning.

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

Now if Utah can just lose tomorrow that will make it a perfect weekend...

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

KingCoug wrote:Now if Utah can just lose tomorrow that will make it a perfect weekend...

Honestly, won't matter a bit to me.

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

BroncoBot wrote:
KingCoug wrote:Now if Utah can just lose tomorrow that will make it a perfect weekend...

Honestly, won't matter a bit to me.
It should.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director