Another lackluster preseason game

BYU Cougars on the court.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Another lackluster preseason game

Post by hawkwing »

BYU came out and looked worse in this preseason game than they did in the last one. They really have some kinks to work out, I think.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Another lackluster preseason game

Post by Brayden Green »

Kinks, and personnel to figure out. They'll be fine. It's hard to come out and play stellar against lower division opponents in basketball. You end up slowing your game and not playing the way you want to play when you aren't getting pushed back.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Brayden Green wrote:Kinks, and personnel to figure out. They'll be fine. It's hard to come out and play stellar against lower division opponents in basketball. You end up slowing your game and not playing the way you want to play when you aren't getting pushed back.
Hope you're right, certainly could be. My outlook on BYU basketball this year is down.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

BroncoBot wrote:
Brayden Green wrote:Kinks, and personnel to figure out. They'll be fine. It's hard to come out and play stellar against lower division opponents in basketball. You end up slowing your game and not playing the way you want to play when you aren't getting pushed back.
Hope you're right, certainly could be. My outlook on BYU basketball this year is down.
I think that Rose has some issues with who he is starting. I'm really high on Calvert and Emery at the guard spot. Rose seems entrenched with KC at point (which anyone that has been around the boards for a season or two knows I have issues with) and at two guard he seems to be going with Fischer. I don't mind Fischer, but I see Emery and/or Calvert as the better play. They both play MUCH better man defense, and that is the defense that BYU should play. I also hope that Austin doesn't start. I like Austin, a lot, but Davis and Kaufusi are much better players.

It's one of those things where we are getting such good talent that Seniors are going to have to sit for freshman and sophomores, and that is a touchy subject on the team and in the locker room, and one that Rose has not always proven adept at handling correctly.

My guess is that the two spot is Fischers until he plays his way off the court, which is a good way to do it, i suppose. I just hope that when it comes time, Calvert, Emery, and Toolson get a chance to play, because they are bigtime players. I think Toolson needs to improve his defense, but it is hard to keep that shooting off the floor.

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

I'm not ready to give up on this team due to two exhibition games. There are so many new faces to work in and lots of starters minutes lost see two games. I'm sure the goal of these games isn't to win, but to try different things. I don't think defense was likely their main focus either. The coaches just need to get a feel for how each player fits into this team. Once they tighten up the rotations this team will play a lot better brand of basketball.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

BYULV wrote:I'm not ready to give up on this team due to two exhibition games. There are so many new faces to work in and lots of starters minutes lost see two games. I'm sure the goal of these games isn't to win, but to try different things. I don't think defense was likely their main focus either. The coaches just need to get a feel for how each player fits into this team. Once they tighten up the rotations this team will play a lot better brand of basketball.
Exactly. These games are less about winning in a dominant fashion, and more about narrowing a roster that will beat Utah in game #5. Expect more of the same against Utah Valley.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Hawk, i assume you are posting at least partially TIC with an anti-anti-football tack to mock the football doubters.
THe first exhibition game was not all that bad. Tell me one P5 school that doesnt warm up or into their meatier schedule with cupcakes that they can not play perfect games to learn of personell and schemes!
If you are mocking CC football critics, do two wrongs make a right? Your lack of objectivity is fairly conspicuous on this thread and historically.
If i returned some of the same treatment of football and Bronco critics, wouldnt i say, go ahead and cheer for another team, say like UVU? or maybe just stick to football?
No, i wouldnt. but im just calling it out. You sound like Eeyore. Can i get a "Oh bother" out of you? that wording might be more congruent with your OP. ;-)

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Cougs_Rule wrote:Hawk, i assume you are posting at least partially TIC with an anti-anti-football tack to mock the football doubters.
THe first exhibition game was not all that bad. Tell me one P5 school that doesnt warm up or into their meatier schedule with cupcakes that they can not play perfect games to learn of personell and schemes!
If you are mocking CC football critics, do two wrongs make a right? Your lack of objectivity is fairly conspicuous on this thread and historically.
If i returned some of the same treatment of football and Bronco critics, wouldnt i say, go ahead and cheer for another team, say like UVU? or maybe just stick to football?
No, i wouldnt. but im just calling it out. You sound like Eeyore. Can i get a "Oh bother" out of you? that wording might be more congruent with your OP. ;-)
Oh bother! Thanks for noticing me.

But in all honesty, I'm concerned about the direction of our basketball team this season.

Wolverine
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Wolverine »

hawkwing wrote:
Cougs_Rule wrote:Hawk, i assume you are posting at least partially TIC with an anti-anti-football tack to mock the football doubters.
Oh bother! Thanks for noticing me.

But in all honesty, I'm concerned about the direction of our basketball team this season.
I can see why you would have concerns about this season. The team lost the school's career scoring leader (Haws), probably it's best perimeter defender (Winder), and a "glue guy" (Halford). There are so many unproven pieces to this team that only time will tell which direction it will go. I think KC, Fischer, and Austin will provide enough leadership and experience to help this team through some early growing pains. There is a lot of potential for the newcomers and it will be interesting to see who rises to the top, what roles they take on, and who ends up with consistent and productive minutes. I too have concerns, but I like the upside and potential that I can see in this team. I will remain optimistic until results on the court force me to rethink my current optimistic outlook ;)

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

Every team goes through this early in the season. BYU actually has handled it better than most over the years because they have to. They usually jump right into some very tough games in the pre-conference schedule. Most teams from the best conferences have the luxury of playing mostly cupcakes for at least a month and a half before they play good teams. That's where they work our their kinks and is also the reason it's really hard to get them to play a team like us in November or December. BYU has also had things disrupted quite a bit because of injuries. It will work itself out.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...