3 Recruits Expected to Sign Wed for #35 Class

BYU Cougars on the court.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: 3 Recruits Expected to Sign Wed for #35 Class

Post by hawkwing »

BlueK wrote: If you don't believe basketball at BYU is going to get pretty exciting over the next few years, then you have to believe the new players coming are not really any better than the ones they've had before and all the recruiting services have missed on all of them. Possible, but not likely.
You could also doubt in the coaching staff's ability to take great athletes and get to the next level.

BlueK
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BlueK »

hawkwing wrote:
BlueK wrote: If you don't believe basketball at BYU is going to get pretty exciting over the next few years, then you have to believe the new players coming are not really any better than the ones they've had before and all the recruiting services have missed on all of them. Possible, but not likely.
You could also doubt in the coaching staff's ability to take great athletes and get to the next level.
The problem with that reasoning is that few would argue that previous recruiting classes had many "great athletes." At least the recruiting experts didn't rate those guys that way.

We already know Jimmer was not highly recruited but became a star. He can help a player do that at least at the college level.

I guess another option would be to say Rose gets more out of the less than 4star guys than he should but at the same time will get LESS than what he should from the higher recruited guys. But I don't think that's very logical. I think it's that Rose has just gotten better at recruiting combined with the talent level of LDS players increasing. And now those players are just starting to arrive and we should expect more.

But we'll know soon enough. I think we take a big step forward starting this season already and another one next year.

If you search the message boards from 2011 we got off to a great start but there was still a lot of typical skepticism from the fans up until the conference opener at UNLV. Even though we were 14-1 there were a lot of posts from fans saying they didn't really believe it until we could win at UNLV, which most thought we couldn't do since we'd had trouble there in the past. But we did win that game pretty convincingly and suddenly the bandwagon was overflowing.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

We kind of had this discussion a few weeks ago about BYU's ability to get players to progress. I'm still waiting to hear which players BYU has had that should have progressed to the NBA, but didn't. There may be a few, but it seems that whenever we have a player go to the NBA they are overachievers rather than high recruits that have progressed; including Jimmer and Davies most recently. Before that, Hansen, Araujo. None of these guys were top 100 recruits. Have we ever had a top 50 or top 100 recruit not go to the NBA?

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

BYULV wrote:We kind of had this discussion a few weeks ago about BYU's ability to get players to progress. I'm still waiting to hear which players BYU has had that should have progressed to the NBA, but didn't. There may be a few, but it seems that whenever we have a player go to the NBA they are overachievers rather than high recruits that have progressed; including Jimmer and Davies most recently. Before that, Hansen, Araujo. None of these guys were top 100 recruits. Have we ever had a top 50 or top 100 recruit not go to the NBA?
I agree. Good coaches can get their players to reach the maximum level their talent can get them to, and I think Rose actually does really well in that area. The problem is that the natural athletic talent level in the NBA is so high that a lesser athlete who works hard and has reached his peak still won't make it there for very long if at all. Also, there are top athletes who still don't make the NBA because they didn't work hard enough (or injuries), but I can't think of a single example of a player like that who went to BYU.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...