USU game thread

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
TheDean
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: USU game thread

Post by TheDean »

Jarhead wrote:
TheDean wrote:BYU was lucky in this game. Lucky that Utah St. dropped 3rd down passes on the the 22 FG possesions where BYU blocked the FG and the FG bounced off the up right as had both been caught Utah St. would have had 2 more TDs to there 21-10 lead. Lucky that Utah St. made it only real defensive mistake in a well played first half to allow 2 BYU WRs to be open and Mathews not get tackled in Utah St. 2 attempt to stop him before he runs it in fr a TD. Lucky that Keeton drops the football and BYU player there to pick it up for a TD. Utah St. was within a hair of b,owing BYU off the field in the first half.

BYU's offense did fare much better in the 2nd half after looking sharp on the first drive of the 2nd half. The defense played much much better in the second half which is the sole reason BYU won.

All in all not one of BYUs better perfomances.
I appreciate that you pointed out some positive things. I agree that BYU didn't play their sharpest game (I was more worried about our defense in the first half than our offense). At the same time, BYU had some pretty spectacular plays, and they took advantage of big play opportunities. Given our recent history against Utah State, and given the fact that Utah State hadn't lost at home in a couple years; I'm happy.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
I think the coaches from both team gave a sigh of relief after the game ended and neither QB was injured.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

A couple of points. USU had not lost a game at home since the last time BYU had gone up there and beat them. 14 straight games. BYU ended that streak. 2nd point, USU had not allowed 50 points all season and BYU just put up a 50 spot on them in their own house. 3rd point, BYU just won its 9th game of the year breaking the 4 year streak of 8-5. There is nothing to be negative about today, even if you are irritated that BYU played sloppy at times today.

a1247
Heisman Winner

Post by a1247 »

frdbtr wrote:A couple of points. USU had not lost a game at home since the last time BYU had gone up there and beat them. 14 straight games. BYU ended that streak. 2nd point, USU had not allowed 50 points all season and BYU just put up a 50 spot on them in their own house. 3rd point, BYU just won its 9th game of the year breaking the 4 year streak of 8-5. There is nothing to be negative about today, even if you are irritated that BYU played sloppy at times today.
9 wins that sounds good to me. Some people just don't understand how difficult it is to win 9 games.

a1247
Heisman Winner

Post by a1247 »

urroner wrote:
a1247 wrote:You are right this was not one of byu's better performances and yet they won 51-28. If that can't make a fan happy then what in the he!! does?
You know what would make me happy.? Firstly, get rid of Bronco and Anae. They are totally clueless, CLUELESS I SAY, about football. Once those two bozos are gone, then we can finally get a team thaat would do the other things which would finally make me happy. Well a lmost happy.
1. Get rid of the dead weight at the top. (Already mentioned.)
2. Alwys hold other ream under 100 yardsi in yotal offense, evebn if it's Alabama.
3. The other team never scored, even a field goal. The defense should block every attempt. In fact, the defense should score on every series of play they are in.
4. The offense should score at least 60 polnts every game and the defense should score 60 points every game.
5. Every game ends with BYU scoring a minimum of 120 and the opponent score a maximum of 0.
6. BYU has at least 700 yards in in offense, well, in rushing offense. Another 700 tards in passing. I realize this will be rather difficult if the defense scores all the time, but that is not my problem.

Onl y if my demands are met, then i can even begin to think about being happy.
At least your realistic, you could have demanded that they lead the country in kick off and punt return yards too.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

a1247 wrote:
urroner wrote:
a1247 wrote:You are right this was not one of byu's better performances and yet they won 51-28. If that can't make a fan happy then what in the he!! does?
You know what would make me happy.? Firstly, get rid of Bronco and Anae. They are totally clueless, CLUELESS I SAY, about football. Once those two bozos are gone, then we can finally get a team thaat would do the other things which would finally make me happy. Well a lmost happy.
2. Alwys hold other ream under 100 yardsi in yotal offense, evebn if it's Alabama.
3. The other team never scored, even a field goal. The defense should block every attempt. In fact, the defense should score on every series of play they are in.
4. The offense should score at least 60 polnts every game and the defense should score 60 points every game.
5. Every game ends with BYU scoring a minimum of 120 and the opponent score a maximum of 0.
6. BYU has at least 700 yards in in offense, well, in rushing offense. Another 700 tards in passing. I realize this will be rather difficult if the defense scores all the time, but that is not my problem.

At least your realistic, you could have demanded that they lead the country in kick off and punt return yards too.

:D :D :D

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

a1247 wrote:
frdbtr wrote:A couple of points. USU had not lost a game at home since the last time BYU had gone up there and beat them. 14 straight games. BYU ended that streak. 2nd point, USU had not allowed 50 points all season and BYU just put up a 50 spot on them in their own house. 3rd point, BYU just won its 9th game of the year breaking the 4 year streak of 8-5. There is nothing to be negative about today, even if you are irritated that BYU played sloppy at times today.
9 wins that sounds good to me. Some people just don't understand how difficult it is to win 9 games.

9 wins after losing the starting running back before fall camp started, losing the starting QB 2 quarters into the season, yet Robert Anae sucks as an Ocoordinator. People don't understand that college football isn't like your thanksgiving turkey bowl. Offenses are complicated and are usually created and designed for your personnel all through the off season. BYU had to change the offense for Mangum, while getting him ready for each game and giving the offense the best chance to score with a freshman who was knocking doors 4 months ago. Mangum is exceptional but it wouldn't have mattered if the coaches hadn't done a phenomenal job designing the offense around him. There is nothing negative to be said about this season. This has been Bronco's finest coaching job since he has been the head coach at BYU. All you Debbie downers are just looking for an excuse to be negative. yes, it would have been more fun if BYU had made a few more plays in the UCLA game and the Missouri game but such is the breaks when you are watching a young team develop.

urroner
Heisman Winner

Post by urroner »

a1247 wrote:
urroner wrote:

Thanks for seeing my reasonableness. My reasonableness and awe inspiring humility are two of my greatest characteristics and I take great pride in them.

Where the hell am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
a1247
Heisman Winner

Post by a1247 »

urroner wrote:
a1247 wrote:
urroner wrote:

Thanks for seeing my reasonableness. My reasonableness and awe inspiring humility are two of my greatest characteristics and I take great pride in them.
You are as humble as the Deli Lama. A true inspiration for all us lesser men. ;)

Screamineagle
Freshman

Post by Screamineagle »

a1247 wrote:
urroner wrote:
a1247 wrote:
urroner wrote:

You are as humble as the Deli Lama. A true inspiration for all us lesser men. ;)

I hear rumors he slices one heck of a ham too.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

Players made plays and when that happens wins happen. Nothing too earth shattering there. BUT the coaches must have done something right, too, because after halftime BYU's defense shut down the Aggies. It was almost night and day. Maybe it was adjustments. Maybe it was calling different plays, but after half, we won 27-7.