Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Adams State Performance

Post by byufan4ever »

Here is how BYU performed against Adams State:
ADST.PNG
And here is how the players have performed through 3 games:
BYU Summary 2015-11-20.PNG
BYU Summary 2015-11-20.PNG (21.95 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
Why did Kaufusi only play 13 minutes? He looked really sharp!! I liked the second half starters. Fischer and Toolson do not deserve to start. If they get hot give them more minutes but they need to earn it every game. I loved Emery's defense and no TOs!! Emery gets our first "awesome" game of the season! And from off the bench!

But that first half...at least they responded and made changes...

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Adams State Performance

Post by Qman »

Rose started Emery, Chatman, KC, Aytes and Kaufusi for the 2nd half. They played together for about 6 minutes and played very well defensively.

Emery was our best player tonight. It wasn't even close. He flashed a floater. He showed multiple different advanced moves that lead to layups. He finals got a couple of 3's to go. He looked quicker and more aggressive defensively. He jumped the passing lanes and get fast break points. It is probably time to start him. He is our 2nd or 3rd best player.

KC was good tonight and he didn't attempt a jumper. Not a lot to say about him--we already know what he is.

Kaufusi was very good in limited minutes. They didn't have anyone who could handle him in the post. I think his minutes were limited to allow other players (Davis and Aytes) more opportunites.

Fischer seems to be trying to do the correct things, he just can't make shots and finish plays. I wonder if we keep starting him as some kind of decoy/threat as a shooter.

Toolson still isn't playing to his strength. I don't see how he starts again unless he discovers how to be aggressive offensively--post ups and drives.

Davis is talented offensively and a poor defender. If he could just reduce the TO's it would be a real positive for this team. 4 more TO's tonight. I think they were charge, travel, bad pass and immediately double teamed on the catch. So I would say 3 of those are his fault.

Aytes had more of mixed game tonight. He was too powerful for his matchups so he got some easy ones around the hoop. Defensively he moves fairly well lateral. He got lost on D a few times and apparently was in the wrong place offensively a few times.

Chatman is proving to be a more of a Shooting Guard than a combo guard. But that is just fine because of his defensive abilities.

I think I have figured out why Calvert doesn't play more. He is pretty bad defensively right now.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byufan4ever »

Davis didn't have any blocks tonight, but he did have 2 in each of the first two games. Blocks aren't the only indicator of defense, but I don't think he's a poor defender.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Qman wrote:Rose started Emery, Chatman, KC, Aytes and Kaufusi for the 2nd half. They played together for about 6 minutes and played very well defensively.

Emery was our best player tonight. It wasn't even close. He flashed a floater. He showed multiple different advanced moves that lead to layups. He finals got a couple of 3's to go. He looked quicker and more aggressive defensively. He jumped the passing lanes and get fast break points. It is probably time to start him. He is our 2nd or 3rd best player.

KC was good tonight and he didn't attempt a jumper. Not a lot to say about him--we already know what he is.

Kaufusi was very good in limited minutes. They didn't have anyone who could handle him in the post. I think his minutes were limited to allow other players (Davis and Aytes) more opportunites.

Fischer seems to be trying to do the correct things, he just can't make shots and finish plays. I wonder if we keep starting him as some kind of decoy/threat as a shooter.

Toolson still isn't playing to his strength. I don't see how he starts again unless he discovers how to be aggressive offensively--post ups and drives.

Davis is talented offensively and a poor defender. If he could just reduce the TO's it would be a real positive for this team. 4 more TO's tonight. I think they were charge, travel, bad pass and immediately double teamed on the catch. So I would say 3 of those are his fault.

Aytes had more of mixed game tonight. He was too powerful for his matchups so he got some easy ones around the hoop. Defensively he moves fairly well lateral. He got lost on D a few times and apparently was in the wrong place offensively a few times.

Chatman is proving to be a more of a Shooting Guard than a combo guard. But that is just fine because of his defensive abilities.

I think I have figured out why Calvert doesn't play more. He is pretty bad defensively right now.
I agree with most points. except KC attempted a jumper from the foul line, left elbow.
Chapman is a combo--make no mistake. He showed glimpses in his limited minutes in first several games that he is a very solid all around player who can distribute and score. But with KC and Nick more capable PGs he will not get as many touches, but again, he didn't start second half as a fluke. And his D is better than fisher or toolson's.
Davis is not a poor defender. He's average at worst. Needs improvement? Yes.but so does this whole team. And most did in second half. In fact Roe said he started the second half with a defensive lineup. How's that for a noticeable shift in game philosophy by Rose? And still almost 100 points.
Yes, it was Adams state, but if BYU plays with this level of UNSELFISH play, and UNSLOPPY play, and DEFENSIVE EFFORT, this team is not only very WATCHABLE, but it is the team that I thought could develop into a 9-12 seed. A lot of work to do, but playing UNSELFISH and UNSLOPPY ball are very fixable but were a definite pattern in first few games.
Unselfish changes has to Start at the top:
KC has to stop trying to prove he belongs in the NBA by trying to hit outside shots. BYU has much better options. KEEP GOING TO THE HOLE my brother, get several triple doubles , keep your TOs down and MAKE YOUR FTs and you will land just fine in the NBA--look at Kawhi Leonard.
Fisher-whether a slump or not, stop feeling entitled to chuck with impunity.
Freshman- you are freshman. Pass first.
While team--feed the beasts and play inside out and watch the wins pile up.
Go Cougars!!

TheDean
Freshman

Post by TheDean »

This was one game where KC was more a detriment than a help.

IowaCougar
Junior

Post by IowaCougar »

I actually enjoyed this game more than most people did. My daughter and son-in-law went to Adams State, so it gave me some bragging rights. I was actually impressed that Adams State hung in there pretty well for most of the first half.

For those not familiar with the school, Adams State is know for Cross-Country dominance, and wins both men's and women's NCAA championships most years. I think they would finish near the top if they were competing in Division 1. My daughter was part of 4 of those national championship teams, and won the individual championship her senior year.