Tanner Mangum to redshirt?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Tanner Mangum to redshirt?

Post by Fido »

This would actually not be a bad plan if they can keep Taysom healthy all season.

QB Depth chart:
Taysom Hill (Sr)
Beau Hoge (So)
Koy Detmer (So)
Hayden Livingston (Fr)
Tanner Mangum (So - Redshirt?)

Thoughts?

Fido
All Star

Re: Tanner Mangum to redshirt?

Post by Fido »

2017 QB Depth chart:
Tanner Mangum (So)
Beau Hoge (Jr)
Koy Detmer (Jr)
Kody Wilstead (Fr)

Hayden Livingston has mission plans and could also redshirt in 2016 to come back as a Freshman.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

If Taysom wins the job (and I think he will), the coaches should do everything in their power to keep Tanner off the field so he can save a year of eligibility.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I would love to have Tanner redshirt and then have 3 years to play 3.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

No. Go back to the best way to develop your next QB. Let him play in the 4th quarter when the outcome is certain and get game-time better for his Jr and Sr seasons. Develop your talent in game situations so the adjustment to starter is a smoother transfer.

I'm not keen on the idea of having your starting quarterback taking over after not playing in a real game for 20 months.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

snoscythe wrote:No. Go back to the best way to develop your next QB. Let him play in the 4th quarter when the outcome is certain and get game-time better for his Jr and Sr seasons. Develop your talent in game situations so the adjustment to starter is a smoother transfer.

I'm not keen on the idea of having your starting quarterback taking over after not playing in a real game for 20 months.
It wouldn't help Tanner to come in and waste eligibility in the 4th quarter of blowouts (with this schedule I don't see many of those anyway). Max Hall did fine after redshirting, and Tanner did great last year after only being in the program for fall camp after returning from a mission. Redshirt to save eligibility is the best option.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Tanner is going to the league after next year anyway, at the latest, so play him this year if you need to.

BOID
Junior

Post by BOID »

That would have to be the most amazing sophomore season ever, to have big NFL draft stock. No, Tanner would need to finish a junior season, and an exceptional one at that. Even then, I would bet on him staying for his senior season if BYU was on the cusp of something special at that time.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

I'll caveat my original post with IF Hill can stay healthy--because it has been quite a while since he has been able to. The season is a long one for the injury prone. I'm betting that Mangum will be pressed into duty at some point--though it would be nice to be able to redshirt him should they get all the way through the tough games without using him.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Sure, he was good as a frosh, and Hall was good as a sophomore, but I don't see how that means redshirting is better. Mangum didn't have a choice but to play last year, and Hall didn't have the option of playing the season before he won the starting job--he had to sit out as an ASU transfer. I believe both would have been better if they had mop-up time to develop.

I believe the ideal formula for developing a QB is to get mop up time as a Freshman and Sophomore, and then start for the final two seasons. Redshirts should be saved for instances where injury or transfers affect your succession plan and you need to delay that optimal development pattern. Planning on redshirting your next season's starter is fools gold unless you have another starter-quality QB in the wings who can be your backup. You run the risk of sitting the guy out the whole season, and then burning the redshirt in November when the starter goes down, meaning you lost all opportunities to help develop the kid in games over the first two months and still lost the season of eligibility.

I don't have enough faith in Hoge or Detmer Jr. to plan on redshirting Mangum.