Did Brian Logan name Bronco's woes?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Yzzazz
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Did Brian Logan name Bronco's woes?

Post by Yzzazz »

One the BYUTV postgame show, Brian Logan had this to say,

"You know how some BYU defensive players go to the NFL and said they found an NFL defense to be a step down [in complexity] from Bronco's?"

I hadn't ever heard that sentiment before, but if accurate it answers some important questions:

1. How did the Defense perform so well against Arizona, (ARIZONA!) when the DC and the scheme are in their first game of a brand new year / regime?

2. How was Frances Bernard able to do so well switching over?

3. How did Richmond put up 37 points on UVA?

For #2, I love the fact that Kalani Sitake pointed out that Bernard made some mistakes (UA's second touchdown perhaps?), but generally speaking Bernard was a surprise. You can't expect that to happen if the whole team week to week struggles to be "assignment sound."

For #3, is it possible that Bronco vastly underestimated how much he was asking of the typical player? A studious RM type at BYU might be able to keep up, but perhaps the typical 18-year old recruit at UVA is overtasked?

Thing about Bronco is he is an excellent system-builder. He'll start slow, but he'll build up nicely. I'll predict he takes the ACC within 5 years (if they don't can him too early!)

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Re: Did Brian Logan name Bronco's woes?

Post by frdbtr »

Bronco will be fine at UVA in the long run. he will get that team playing well. It is just a matter of time. It was the first game and his team was playing tight and tentative. Bronco is a good coach and will get it fixed. All the bitter haters on this board are just piling on because they are immature.

I am really excited about the possibilities of this season for BYU now that I have had my fears of our defense playing poorly under an inexperienced position coach. I think we can have a special year if the offense opens up soon.

Screamineagle
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Screamineagle »

I have tried to remain silent on this but Since this is turning into another Bronco thread here we go.I will always appreciate what Bronco did for the team he is a good coach and was the right person to right the ship after Crowton. I wish him the absolute best at Virginia and was honestly surprised how bad they got worked in that first game. There is a long history of good coaches stinking it up at the start of taking over a new program.How will he do long term? I have no idea but I hope well.Have we all forgotten what a mess he took over particularly in relation to the honor code at BYU? I personally think there is a strong possibility if he had not cleaned it up football would be gone at this point just my opinion. So I will always appreciate what Bronco did.

All of the above said I have warmed up to the idea of Kalani Sitake as the new head coach and all though there were issues in the first game most were correctable and I think the future remains bright.I like his emotion.I absolutely wish him the best.I am excited to see what happens this week.

bigbluepuma
All-American

Post by bigbluepuma »

Screamineagle wrote:I have tried to remain silent on this but Since this is turning into another Bronco thread here we go.I will always appreciate what Bronco did for the team he is a good coach and was the right person to right the ship after Crowton. I wish him the absolute best at Virginia and was honestly surprised how bad they got worked in that first game. There is a long history of good coaches stinking it up at the start of taking over a new program.How will he do long term? I have no idea but I hope well.Have we all forgotten what a mess he took over particularly in relation to the honor code at BYU? I personally think there is a strong possibility if he had not cleaned it up football would be gone at this point just my opinion. So I will always appreciate what Bronco did.

All of the above said I have warmed up to the idea of Kalani Sitake as the new head coach and all though there were issues in the first game most were correctable and I think the future remains bright.I like his emotion.I absolutely wish him the best.I am excited to see what happens this week.
+1

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by stuckinbig10country »

The UVA personnel issues are bad on defense. The defensive line isn't good at all.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

But boy didn't the architect of utahs former bad defense and OSUs D last year suck last week? Own it--you know who you are.

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

For the record, I find this to be an odd argument. Bronco's D is bad because it's more complex than many NFL defenses? No, it's because Howell isn't as talented, and Bronco is letting him run, hands-off.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

Mars wrote:For the record, I find this to be an odd argument. Bronco's D is bad because it's more complex than many NFL defenses? No, it's because Howell isn't as talented, and Bronco is letting him run, hands-off.
I wondered if that was the case. Sooner or later Bronco just had to realize that Howell doesn't have it.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.