Statistics to Start Tanner

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Statistics to Start Tanner

Post by SpiffCoug »

It's not "thinking" that we don't play well against Utah. It's FACT that we don't play well against Utah.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
BOID
Junior

Post by BOID »

Let's not forget that the Utes also played poorly against BYU. The Cougar D really messed them up as well. The Utes coughed up six TO's, to state the obvious. So, what this means is that two, fairly well balanced teams were duking it out. BYU was in the driver's seat at the end, and the stands were full of distressed Ute fans, who believed at that moment that they would lose. Whit was beside himself and later said that the game gave him a gastric ulcer. The 2 point play could have worked, even though it didn't happen to.

I'm just trying to point out that BYU has nothing to be ashamed of. There were no bragging rights left over after that game for either side, regardless of who won.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

BOID wrote:Let's not forget that the Utes also played poorly against BYU. The Cougar D really messed them up as well. The Utes coughed up six TO's, to state the obvious. So, what this means is that two, fairly well balanced teams were duking it out. BYU was in the driver's seat at the end, and the stands were full of distressed Ute fans, who believed at that moment that they would lose. Whit was beside himself and later said that the game gave him a gastric ulcer. The 2 point play could have worked, even though it didn't happen to.

I'm just trying to point out that BYU has nothing to be ashamed of. There were no bragging rights left over after that game for either side, regardless of who won.
I have to say, we played much more poorly. With 6 forced TOs the offense should have put up closer to 30 points. This one shouldn't have been close, and certainly not a BYU loss.

BOID
Junior

Post by BOID »

How do you think the six turnovers occurred? I'm talking about a complete team performance, not just that of the offense. BYU's D gets some credit for those turnovers, and Utah's offense gets negative points for coughing them up. So it is not just BYU's offense that played poorly. Both teams had their good and bad moments, and it was fairly equal. So it was an ugly game for both sides, and BYU landed its equal share of blows. BYU held its own, and everyone could see that Utah was unable to dominate or control the game. The point score was quite an arbitrary, random development, and fortuitous for the Utes, but not indicative of a dominant performance.

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

I'll take Taysom in the new offense against the toughest 6-game stretch BYU has ever faced. Did you not see his 40-yard touchdown run? Did you not watch the oline's poor pass protection? Did you not see Taysom scramble to avoid sacks all night long? Did you not see the last drive that put BYU in a position to win the game in the final seconds?

If Taysom struggles against UCLA and West Virginia, then we can re-start the discussion. Even then, Taysom is likely our best hope against Michigan St.'s defense in a few weeks. I eye-witnessed the fiasco in Ann Arbor last year.

pikoi
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by pikoi »

At the very least Taysom scored less points for Utah this year than Tanner did last year...

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

I've been saying this while watching the game and after. BYU could have had Payton Manning during his prime in that game and it wouldn't have mattered. The offensive line play sucked for BYU and Taysom had very little time to throw the ball. The receivers sucked in that game and couldn't get off press coverage so Taysom had nowhere to go with the ball with the little time he had. There is more wrong with the offense than the QB. I believe in Ty Detmer and I feel he will get things turned around but a simple QB change isn't going to fix it right now. A new offensive line coach and receivers coach might help though.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Still, how can this be the case??
BYU is the only team in all of college football that hasn’t completed a 20 yard pass.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

byufan4ever wrote:Still, how can this be the case??
BYU is the only team in all of college football that hasn’t completed a 20 yard pass.
I don't know whether this is true or not, but Ican think of two drops / missed catches that would have been greater than 20 yards

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Last year the Utes turned over some guy from Cal 5 times...he only went on to be the 1st player drafted in the NFL.

Utah does this to a lot of really good players. The thing is, BYU did enough, and that QB did enough, to win the game. Just fell a little short. And go back and watch the final drive. He did a ton of amazing things.