utah's last drive

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

utah's last drive

Post by frdbtr »

Here's a thought for all of you that want Taysom replaced as our starting QB. If BYU's defense doesn't allow an 18 play 11 minute drive that put the utes up 20-13 and Taysom drives down the field, runs in for the TD and BYU wins 20-17, how many of you would still be calling for his benching? Would he then be the hero for 2 game winning drives in the 4th quarter this year?

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: utah's last drive

Post by BroncoBot »

good point.

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by jvquarterback »

It was a huge mistake not to go for it on 4th and 3.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

Also, the only reason we even had a chance at the end is because Kyle didn't go for it on fourth and inches. Not that I blame him, necessarily, but I am pretty sure he would have picked up those inches the way the refs were marking the ball. If that happens, we don't even get the thrilling ending...up until the 2 pt try. It was a well fought game against a team that plays great defense. No one should be hanging their heads. We just didn't make enough plays to win, and they did. But we were in it to win it. I would have rather gone for the extra point and played in overtime, but even that does not guarantee a win. A lot of people agree with Sitake that you go for the win on the road. Considering we didn't have two safeties and our RB, I think that was probably BYU's best chance. It comes down to execution, and the line just did not execute that play. Let's not get crazy and throw out the baby with the bathwater on a new season and new coaching staff. Kalani is 0-1 against Utah in a one point loss on the road. He is not responsible for the prior history.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by stuckinbig10country »

The bigger play was letting them get a TD right before half time. Hold them to a FG, up 3 at half, not down 1.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

stuckinbig10country wrote:The bigger play was letting them get a TD right before half time. Hold them to a FG, up 3 at half, not down 1.
There were a few defensive break downs in the game. I am not satisfied with the offensive performance either. BYU got 6 turnovers from the utes and still lost, that is unacceptable but to put it all on Taysom and make statements like he should be moved to RB are ignorant in the very least.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Taysom doesn't throw it to the defender on the first play of the game and BYU wins. We can play this game all day...

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Gunk wrote:Taysom doesn't throw it to the defender on the first play of the game and BYU wins. We can play this game all day...
He didn't throw it to the defender, he threw it to the BYU receiver who tipped it up in the air into the defenders arms. And anyway, you prove my point with your attempt to discredit it. My point for this entire thread is that BYU lost as a team, there is plenty of blame to go around, from coaches to players on both sides of the ball and a simple QB change would not have changed anything.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

frdbtr wrote:
Gunk wrote:Taysom doesn't throw it to the defender on the first play of the game and BYU wins. We can play this game all day...
He didn't throw it to the defender, he threw it to the BYU receiver who tipped it up in the air into the defenders arms. And anyway, you prove my point with your attempt to discredit it. My point for this entire thread is that BYU lost as a team, there is plenty of blame to go around, from coaches to players on both sides of the ball and a simple QB change would not have changed anything.
The ball was thrown way past the receiver. It was a poorly thrown ball. First play of the game.

Course, if Detmer called a run play for the 1st play of the game, we wouldn't have spotted Utah 7 points in the first 30 seconds of the game.

I get your point. Plenty of mistakes were made all around. There are plenty of shoulda's woulda's and coulda's. The fact of the matter is, though, the QB has his hands on the ball the vaste majority of the game. It's his job to direct the football. So the microscope on Taysom isn't particularly uncalled for.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Gunk wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
The ball was thrown way past the receiver. It was a poorly thrown ball. First play of the game.

Course, if Detmer called a run play for the 1st play of the game, we wouldn't have spotted Utah 7 points in the first 30 seconds of the game.

I get your point. Plenty of mistakes were made all around. There are plenty of shoulda's woulda's and coulda's. The fact of the matter is, though, the QB has his hands on the ball the vaste majority of the game. It's his job to direct the football. So the microscope on Taysom isn't particularly uncalled for.
Not to nitpick too much but on After further review, it was part of their analysis that the receiver ran the wrong route on that which messed up the timing and caused the pass to be mis thrown. But like has been discussed, there was plenty of blame to go around. My point is that to ask for Taysom's benching at this point in the year is ignorant.