Jason Buck has opinions

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Jason Buck has opinions

Post by snoscythe »

Jason Buck wrote:Nobody loves BYU more than I do, but man, I’ve never liked independence. I thought it hurts us in multiple ways and we’re always better off being in a conference. I use the example of Boise State and they have been to three Fiesta Bowls in the last 10-12 years. And we’ve been to zero.
Other highlights from the two different articles:

- He thinks BYU needs to go back to the MWC if the Big XII doesn't take BYU
- He thinks BSU stole our business model and mantle
- He thinks they need to both (a) expand the stadium, and (b) sell it out more.
- He wants to be a collegiate coach.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... e-MWC.html

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... tml?pg=all

vancouvercougar
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Jason Buck has opinions

Post by vancouvercougar »

I have opinions too, but nobody cares.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

He is dead wrong about the MWC. I would rather go to the American Conference. We should never go back to the MWC for any reason.

1967cougar
Junior

Post by 1967cougar »

frdbtr wrote:He is dead wrong about the MWC. I would rather go to the American Conference. We should never go back to the MWC for any reason.
Amen.....and Amen!!

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

He's wrong about the MWC.

He's wrong about BYU.

He's actually also wrong about expanding the stadium. They should actually put in bigger more comfortable seating and reduce capacity.

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

snoscythe wrote:
Jason Buck wrote:Nobody loves BYU more than I do, but man, I’ve never liked independence. I thought it hurts us in multiple ways and we’re always better off being in a conference. I use the example of Boise State and they have been to three Fiesta Bowls in the last 10-12 years. And we’ve been to zero.
Other highlights from the two different articles:

- He thinks BYU needs to go back to the MWC if the Big XII doesn't take BYU
- He thinks BSU stole our business model and mantle
- He thinks they need to both (a) expand the stadium, and (b) sell it out more.
- He wants to be a collegiate coach.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... e-MWC.html

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... tml?pg=all
Going back to the MWC is a self-evidently absurd.

He does have a point about Boise State taking our place.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

MWC is a non-starter. Although our ability to get into an NY6 game would go up, BYU would not likely continue to be recognized as a "P5" opponent by the B1G, SEC, and ACC.

And, the MWC schedule would destroy the nationwide fan access that has increased tremendously the past several years.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

I disagree on Boise State taking BYU's place. Other conferences have not considered Boise State a P-5 equivalent in their non-conference scheduling. Have they had some good years? Sure. Have they won a national championship? Nope. Have they won a Heisman? Nope. We beat Oklahoma too...during the regular season. I am not trying to be arrogant about it, but they are not close to where BYU is.

Actually, I take that back. They were where BYU was when BYU had not yet established its long term legacy...pre-national championship, Heisman, etc. They have had some nice wins as an up and comer. Think BYU around 1980-82.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

I would like to see BYU replace FCS payday home games with FBS payday home games. And, even get TWO payday games to get seven home games each year.

That is what the big-time programs do.

And, to enable BYU to get an easier opponent in the first couple of games but still have the chance to play quality P5 opponents, I'd like to see BYU play Hawaii or one of Hawaii's opponent's each year...then use the Hawaii exemption every year to get a Week 0 game in late August.

An easier opponent in the first couple of games would help the team workout some of the kinks and to pad the early-season win-loss record.

This is what the big-time programs do.

Attendance in late August for an easier opponent will be better than attendance for the same game in November. The weather in Provo is so much nicer. And fans will be excited to see the team play at the beginning of the new season.

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

Cougarfan87 wrote:I disagree on Boise State taking BYU's place. Other conferences have not considered Boise State a P-5 equivalent in their non-conference scheduling. Have they had some good years? Sure. Have they won a national championship? Nope. Have they won a Heisman? Nope. We beat Oklahoma too...during the regular season. I am not trying to be arrogant about it, but they are not close to where BYU is.

Actually, I take that back. They were where BYU was when BYU had not yet established its long term legacy...pre-national championship, Heisman, etc. They have had some nice wins as an up and comer. Think BYU around 1980-82.
There are differences for sure, but Boise St. finishes in the rankings more often than not - even better than BYU did in the '80's, '90's, and first decade this century with WAC and MWC schedules.

From 1980 to 2010, BYU finished in the top 25 15 times. That equates to every other year.

Since 2000, Boise State has finished in the top 25 10 times, and is currently ranked this season. That equates to about twice in 3 years against WAC and MWC schedules.

The Bowl Alliance and BCS did not consider BYU a peer., much like the P5 does not consider Boise St. a peer. The key difference right *now* is that BYU has a much better P5-like perception than Boise St. - but that doesn't help in the rankings if you're not winning.

If BYU wants to get back to consistent top-25 finishes, the MWC would certainly be a much easier way to achieve that - at the expense of the P5-like perception and the better regular season schedules.