offense is too slow...

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: offense is too slow...

Post by SpiffCoug »

TheDean wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:Detmer clearly learned from the INT as well. The Toledo game came down to a very similar situation. BYU was driving, had timeouts and needed at least a FG. Instead of getting greedy, Detmer managed the clock well, kept the playbook open and ran good offensive plays that continued to move the ball.

BYU might be 3-2 if they had played the final minute of the WVU game like they played the final minute of Toledo.
BYU did but then decided to go for too much to quickly meaning they were to aggressive to the point of recklessness.
When did BYU try to go for too much vs Toledo?

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

frdbtr wrote:
Brayden Green wrote:I'm a little late to the party, but Detmer didn't throw the ball. Just because the route goes deep it doesn't mean that you *have* to throw the ball. They were already in field goal range, and as others have mentioned, you trust your SENIOR quarterback to make good decisions. He didn't. Multiple times. We lost. Detmer didn't tell him to throw an arc to a stopped route for a pick 6, either.
Well, unless you believe the play caller himself on that play. Detmer himself said in the coaches corner that Taysom made the correct read, threw the ball to the correct spot and the receiver didn't play the ball correctly. I disagree with all of you that it was the wrong play, if it had worked everyone would be wanting to crown Detmer king and Taysom his prince. It was a risky call, high risk, high reward type of play that with a little bad luck turned out to be too high risk. I like the play call, when BYU lost to utah a few years ago (2010) when Anae went conservative at the end of the game because a FG was going to win the game for us, everyone in the media and fanbase demanded his job for not "playing like a winner". Can't have it both ways guys.
Exactly this.

The play was fine. The throw was fine. You had an inexperienced kicker on the road. If the ball isn't tipped up, no one is talking about the play.

No one is complaining about basically the same play against Toledo on the final drive, because it was a catch.

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

stuckinbig10country wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
Brayden Green wrote:I'm a little late to the party, but Detmer didn't throw the ball. Just because the route goes deep it doesn't mean that you *have* to throw the ball. They were already in field goal range, and as others have mentioned, you trust your SENIOR quarterback to make good decisions. He didn't. Multiple times. We lost. Detmer didn't tell him to throw an arc to a stopped route for a pick 6, either.
Well, unless you believe the play caller himself on that play. Detmer himself said in the coaches corner that Taysom made the correct read, threw the ball to the correct spot and the receiver didn't play the ball correctly. I disagree with all of you that it was the wrong play, if it had worked everyone would be wanting to crown Detmer king and Taysom his prince. It was a risky call, high risk, high reward type of play that with a little bad luck turned out to be too high risk. I like the play call, when BYU lost to utah a few years ago (2010) when Anae went conservative at the end of the game because a FG was going to win the game for us, everyone in the media and fanbase demanded his job for not "playing like a winner". Can't have it both ways guys.
Exactly this.

The play was fine. The throw was fine. You had an inexperienced kicker on the road. If the ball isn't tipped up, no one is talking about the play.

No one is complaining about basically the same play against Toledo on the final drive, because it was a catch.
And I disagree with you guys for reasons already stated in length previously (I agree about it being Detmer's call). A major part of my problem would have been leaving West Virginia a full minute with Two timeouts to come back and win the game anyway. Detmer figured out a way to score last against Toledo (i.e. no time left) which was a key to winning the game.

TheDean
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by TheDean »

SpiffCoug wrote:
TheDean wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:Detmer clearly learned from the INT as well. The Toledo game came down to a very similar situation. BYU was driving, had timeouts and needed at least a FG. Instead of getting greedy, Detmer managed the clock well, kept the playbook open and ran good offensive plays that continued to move the ball.

BYU might be 3-2 if they had played the final minute of the WVU game like they played the final minute of Toledo.
BYU did but then decided to go for too much to quickly meaning they were to aggressive to the point of recklessness.
When did BYU try to go for too much vs Toledo?
I never said it was against Toledo, silly goose, as I answered the quote "BYU might be 3-2 if they had played the final minute of the WVU game like they played the final minute of Toledo." and BYU did play the last minutes against WVU like they did against Toledo but then went for too much too quickly.

TheDean
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by TheDean »

frdbtr wrote:
Exactly this.

The play wasn't fine as the ball was thrown to high hence the tip up and that is why people are talking about that and not the one against Toledo which was on target hence the catch.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

TheDean wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
Exactly this.

The play wasn't fine as the ball was thrown to high hence the tip up and that is why people are talking about that and not the one against Toledo which was on target hence the catch.
Well, since I think Ty Detmer knows more about his offense than you, I will take his word for it instead of yours. He said the ball was placed exactly where it should have been but the receiver didn't play the ball the way he was supposed to and the defender got his hand in there because of it.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

frdbtr wrote:
TheDean wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
Exactly this.

Well, since I think Ty Detmer knows more about his offense than you, I will take his word for it instead of yours. He said the ball was placed exactly where it should have been but the receiver didn't play the ball the way he was supposed to and the defender got his hand in there because of it.
Gonna side with Ty Detmer on this one as well. Aleva Hifo, and I hope he emerges into a great WR, has been suspect so far. PAss off the hands for a pick six v utah, game winner tipped against WVU, and today he had a ball thrown his way that he mis-timed and dropped that would have extended BYU's first drive against MSU. He's still learning. LAst year Tanner had the benefit of some of the greatest ball hawk receivers BYU has seen in quite some time in Matthews and Houk. Tanner was throwing the same ball as Taysom threw at the end of WVU and those guys were great at stopping and getting the jumpball. I think Hifo could have done the same but was trying to extend his route and catch the ball in stride.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Taysom isn't throwing the ball the same as Tanner. Tanner is a much better thrower, and anticipates receivers out of their break better (instead of not doing it at all).

This debate is stale. Taysom is playing better, I hope the trend continues. It was pretty miserable for a while there.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Brayden Green wrote:Taysom isn't throwing the ball the same as Tanner. Tanner is a much better thrower, and anticipates receivers out of their break better (instead of not doing it at all).

This debate is stale. Taysom is playing better, I hope the trend continues. It was pretty miserable for a while there.
Michigan State showed yesterday that when your offense has more than just the QB playing poorly, a change in QB doesn't fix the other problems.

Playing Tanner wouldn't have solved what was wrong with the BYU offense early in the year. Taysom - and the other positions - are now playing better. Props to the coaches for showing patience.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

SpiffCoug wrote:
Brayden Green wrote:Taysom isn't throwing the ball the same as Tanner. Tanner is a much better thrower, and anticipates receivers out of their break better (instead of not doing it at all).

Michigan State showed yesterday that when your offense has more than just the QB playing poorly, a change in QB doesn't fix the other problems.

Playing Tanner wouldn't have solved what was wrong with the BYU offense early in the year. Taysom - and the other positions - are now playing better. Props to the coaches for showing patience.
I agree. BYU's offense is playing better at every position. I still think our receivers could show more toughness but they are improving.