On Your Honor

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: On Your Honor

Post by Gunk »

Remember that time when a bunch men thought that in order to ensure they live the gospel they came up with a bunch of secondary rules, including certain things they were supposed to wear. Then they created a governing body to ensure everyone adhered to the rules. Things didn't turn out so well for them.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byufan4ever »

So for everyone that loves the Honor Code enforcement would you be down with your local ward and bishop doing the same to you and your family?

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

byufan4ever wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:21 pm So for everyone that loves the Honor Code enforcement would you be down with your local ward and bishop doing the same to you and your family?
Ha! So true.

In discussions like this I am always reminded of MTC security, circling the MTC in their white vans not to make sure the missionaries are safe inside, but to make sure no missionary leaves. You know, the grown adults that volunteered and are paying to be there. Can't let them escape!

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Gunk wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:03 pm
byufan4ever wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:21 pm So for everyone that loves the Honor Code enforcement would you be down with your local ward and bishop doing the same to you and your family?
Ha! So true.

In discussions like this I am always reminded of MTC security, circling the MTC in their white vans not to make sure the missionaries are safe inside, but to make sure no missionary leaves. You know, the grown adults that volunteered and are paying to be there. Can't let them escape!
Maybe I'm misremembering, but when I was at the MTC anyone was free to leave at any time. Just go to the office and tell them that you were ending your mission. They would promptly provide passage back to where you were from. This happened to a few missionaries in the MTC that I knew.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

For what its worth my experience with my local ward is exactly the same as it was at my time at BYU.

Isola
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Isola »

ABYUFAN wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:48 am
For what its worth my experience with my local ward is exactly the same as it was at my time at BYU.
I agree. If my neighbor was in my ward, and I'm throwing keggers or screwing the nanny, I would expect them to say something to the Bishop. To which I would respond "But they taught me correct principles, now let me govern myself!"

As for the grooming standards, I saw some news segment where they interviewed a bunch of University of Oregon students and it made me really grateful BYU has a grooming code. I think most of us would agree that there should be some sort of grooming standard (if you don't agree don't bother trying to convince me). I think most of them are what they are, to keep enforcement simpler. Imagine trying to enforce "Beards must be kept neatly trimmed." How on earth do you check that? How neat is neat enough? Instead of trying to define and enforce a "neat beard" rule is impossible, so instead you make the rule clean shaven.

And for those who oppose enforcement, a rule without enforcement is not even a suggestion.