BYU Sports Nation: Would it be a major accomplishment to get to 6 wins?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.

Would it be a major accomplishment to get to 6 wins?

Yes
30%
No
70%

Total votes: 23

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU Sports Nation: Would it be a major accomplishment to get to 6 wins?

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

What if he gets 6, and 1 of them is Utah? Hmmmm???

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

TulaneVandyRiceCoug wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:11 pm What if he gets 6, and 1 of them is Utah? Hmmmm???
Then he gets a 7-year extension!

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

For me, it all really depends on whether we see discipline back in the program or not. If we win 6 and the team looks in disarray but we get the wins because we have so many crappy teams on the schedule, then I think he should go. If we get 6 and one of them is the utes and the team looks improved, I say give him another year to evaluate again. If we win 6 because the offense is awesome and the defense is giving up 30 points per game, we need another house cleaning but this time the defensive staff.

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

Wow, what high expectations people have. Six wins is a very positive accomplishment and any less would be disappointing, but not a "major" accomplishment.

Only if BYU has less than five wins would I replace KS. Replacing KS would be devastating to recruiting.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

EM_Puma wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 11:45 amReplacing KS would be devastating to recruiting.
Meh.

Our recruiting master has turned in three sub-par recruiting classes. His best class to date would have had boosters' pitchforks out if he was named after a Ford product.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

EM_Puma wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 11:45 am Wow, what high expectations people have. Six wins is a very positive accomplishment and any less would be disappointing, but not a "major" accomplishment.

Only if BYU has less than five wins would I replace KS. Replacing KS would be devastating to recruiting.
I think that there is a difference between standards and expectations. I do not see BYU actually winning 6 games next year so that number is not my expectation. However, if BYU cannot meet that standard then the coach should be fired.

CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

ABYUFAN wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 12:41 pm
EM_Puma wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 11:45 am Wow, what high expectations people have. Six wins is a very positive accomplishment and any less would be disappointing, but not a "major" accomplishment.

I think that there is a difference between standards and expectations. I do not see BYU actually winning 6 games next year so that number is not my expectation. However, if BYU cannot meet that standard then the coach should be fired.
Agree.
The Minimum Acceptable Outcome is 6 wins and a respectable showing in a bowl game.
The Standard is 9 wins (just below our average over the Independence period, excluding last year's embarrassment)
An Accomplishment is anything above the standard. Unless BYU is no longer BYU, and we're taking the the Homer Simpson approach: "If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards." (I'm sure Sno could find a gif of that clip).
My Expectation is 5 wins, a loss to the Utes, and another season of grumpiness.
Should anything less than the minimum acceptable outcome occur, my further expectation is that a new coaching staff will be named come Christmas.
If the MAO is just barely met, then I expect a contract extension that stipulates that the Standard must be met within 2 years, and that if the MAO is not met, the HC will be replaced immediately with whichever coordinator sucks less acting as interim HC.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

My guess is that BYU will get to 5 wins and will face the Utes in the season finale. Whittingham will then beat his former protege, costing Sitake his job.

That's not a very blue-goggled outlook of me. I should change my icon. Sheesh.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

CrimsonCoug wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:54 pmThat's not a very blue-goggled outlook of me. I should change my icon.
Could I interest you in our rose-colored-blinders-on "Derik Stevenson + Kalani Sitake" model?

crazycougar84601
BLUEshirt

Post by crazycougar84601 »

6 wins is an accomplishment compared to last year and what the road schedule looks like this year. I was not a big fan of the Kalani hire from the start, but i can see his strengths and i am behind him as a fan. I hope he cleans up the locker room and gets these guys where they need to be. GO COUGARS!