Monson: BYU should go back to Mountain West

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
cougarapologist
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Monson: BYU should go back to Mountain West

Post by cougarapologist »

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2018/07/1 ... d-swallow/

Interesting article. Some mistakes in logic that he needs to iron out. For one, BYU does not continue with the Power 5 scheduling it now gets if it goes back to the MW. Right now, as an independent, the Power 5 conferences allow a BYU game to count as a nonconference Power conference game. Go back to the MW and that goes away.

But we do get a shot at an NY6 bowl game automatic slot. I'd be in favor of a scheduling/bowl deal with the MW like Notre Dame does with the ACC for football and moving the rest of the programs back to the MW.

But football in the MW? I can see pros and cons.

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Monson: BYU should go back to Mountain West

Post by ABYUFAN »

So - According to Monson, a viable way to "breath life into the BYU program" is to earn less money and appear on fewer TV's with the hope that it may be lucky enough to maybe schedule only a small amount of fewer good programs in football. Seems brilliant!

That reminds me of the time that I thought that the best way to improve my opportunities at my current job was to quit that job and go back to my old job that paid less and was filled with people that I didn't get along with.

Commoner
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Commoner »

cougarapologist wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:57 am https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2018/07/1 ... d-swallow/

Interesting article. Some mistakes in logic that he needs to iron out. For one, BYU does not continue with the Power 5 scheduling it now gets if it goes back to the MW. Right now, as an independent, the Power 5 conferences allow a BYU game to count as a nonconference Power conference game. Go back to the MW and that goes away.

But we do get a shot at an NY6 bowl game automatic slot. I'd be in favor of a scheduling/bowl deal with the MW like Notre Dame does with the ACC for football and moving the rest of the programs back to the MW.

But football in the MW? I can see pros and cons.
The BIG considers UConn and Cincy as counting as an OOC P5 game. I suspect BYU would retain that distinction if it moved to the MWC.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

Not to mention the immediate cost of buying out all the future scheduled games that don't fit in the standard OOC schedule. This is not happening and it doesn't breathe life into the program from my point of view.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

UConn and Cincy aren't in the MWC.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

2 things makes me completely disregard this opinion piece, first it is written by Gordon monson, second he says we should go back to the mountain west. BYU should NEVER, i repeat NEVER go back to the mountain west. That is like a dog returning to its vomit. Like getting back together with your narcissistic ex wife. I would go to any other conference other than the mountain west.

SenorCougar
Sophomore

Post by SenorCougar »

Monsoon reminds me of the auditor who reviews the delinquent loan portfolio and asks why you funded the loan. Better said: he is the soldier that runs around the war zone and bayonets the already wounded. Criticizing AFTER the fact is “cajone-less”...

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

Monson should go back to his cave.

I've long stopped clicking or caring about anything with his name on it. I won't be baited into being his clickbait.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
crazycougar84601
BLUEshirt

Post by crazycougar84601 »

If gordan monson loves the mountain west so much why doesn't he just do us all a favor and cover Aztec or Bronco football?