Your 2010-2011 BYU Cougars

BYU Cougars on the court.
CougarPeasant
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Your 2010-2011 BYU Cougars

Post by CougarPeasant »

If I recall correctly, Martineau was/is a walkon who had a full ride academic scholie when he came to BYU. (And he turned down a spot on the FB team to play basketball instead.)

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

CougarPeasant wrote:If I recall correctly, Martineau was/is a walkon who had a full ride academic scholie when he came to BYU. (And he turned down a spot on the FB team to play basketball instead.)
Martineau was promised at least 1 year of hoops scholarship when he got home from his mission. There will be 14 guys on the team next season for 13 scholarships. Either Zylstra or Martineau will not have one.

If the Cougs can get Smoot, Harrison and one of the guards (Kingma, Corbin, or Miller) for '11 then Dave Rose really needs to consider letting both stay as nonscholarship players or help them find another home.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

craigoscarson wrote: There will be 14 guys on the team next season for 13 scholarships. Either Zylstra or Martineau will not have one.
It's my assumption that Zylstra will lose his scholarship this year, and my guess that Martineau will lose his next year. Neither were ever promised permanent full-ride scholarships, with both it was a case of Dave Rose not using a scholarship for a year and temporarily rewarding a walk-on. There are almost half a dozen kids on the team currently, like Rose, that are still there every practice playing for the love of the game, no financial incentives needed.

Magnusson should make it through his entire BYU career on scholarship. Anderson hopes to be as lucky. I wouldn't be too shocked if his career ended the summer before his senior year due to "reoccuring injuries" though.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

scott715 wrote:Looking ahead another year, we lose Jimmer and Magnussum to graduation and Kyle C to a mission. Who is coming back from a mission? There are a couple of centers right? Anyone else? One scholarship to offer?
Emery is a Senior next season.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

So with Loyd leaving who is our backup point and who will be the year after? Bring in a freshman the year after and he would move in to the starting lineup? Maybe get a JC to take the spot. Perhaps our incoming players can fill the role but this is now an issue.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

scott715 wrote: So with Loyd leaving who is our backup point and who will be the year after?
Winder/Martineau this year.
PG Bret Kingma is expected to come in as a freshman next year and battle for the starting spot immediately. He averages 26 points a game in Washington.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars