Isaac Luatua - Where's BYU???

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Isaac Luatua - Where's BYU???

Post by Ddawg »

BYU better wake up w/ this kid. He's a high quality athlete - w/ Alabama, Oregon, Tennessee, UCLA, Boston College & others sniffing around. He's a Top 20 Offensive Guard, LDS, likes BYU & has not been offered yet. IMHO - you don't pass on quality athletes. Supposedly the Cougs are loaded w/ O-Guards. But guess what - injuries always happen - always.

Y 4 Ever
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Isaac Luatua - Where's BYU???

Post by Y 4 Ever »

Ddawg wrote:BYU better wake up w/ this kid. He's a high quality athlete - w/ Alabama, Oregon, Tennessee, UCLA, Boston College & others sniffing around. He's a Top 20 Offensive Guard, LDS, likes BYU & has not been offered yet. IMHO - you don't pass on quality athletes. Supposedly the Cougs are loaded w/ O-Guards. But guess what - injuries always happen - always.
Amen, brotha. And guess what - o/l guards can make EXCELLENT centers, and even right tackles (if they're athletic enough). If there's 2 "positions" (term used loosely) you can never have too many QUALITY players, it's o-line, and QB.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

Sounds like the lack of an offer from BYU has really cooled his interest. Too bad. Never can have enough quality linemen.

http://byu.scout.com/2/968448.html

gmj81
Junior

Post by gmj81 »

He does sound like a stud but BYU is loaded at both OG and C. We are really going to be hurting for quality OT though soon and that has obviously been the focus so far this class. Plus, sometimes these kids need to get themselves to camp in order for BYU coaches to really be able to see them up close if they want an offer. Also, if he had definite mission plans (a mission first approach would be even better) I think BYU would probably be all over him. But again, as it is, we are loaded at G, no matter how good he is.

Center/Guard:
Ryan Freeman
Houston Reynolds
Blair Tushaus
Terry Alleto
Fono Vakalahi
Braden Hansen
Terrence Brown
Marco Thorson
Jason Speredon
Nick Alleto
Walter Kaihailahi
Manu Mulitalo
Tuni Kanuch
Tui Crichton
Jordan Black
Lui Lapuaho

Tackle:
Nick Alleto (gone after this year)
Matt Reynolds (likely to leave after this year)
Braden Brown
Brad Wilcox
Michael Yeck
Brock Stringham
Jordan Black

A lot Cougar fans are always complaining that BYU is not quick/athletic enough and that our lineman are too fat but as soon as we seemingly pass (who knows, maybe BYU still might offer) on a 300 pounder (still a junior high school mind you) those same fans get a burr up their butt. You can't have it both ways people.

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

This kid looks really talented. He is one of 7 O/D linemen that I know of that BYU has been interestedly following for the 2011 recruiting class but has not offered yet. Another of those is OG Lopa, who I have been following closely and who has been highly recruited in the PAC-10, and also OG Cusick from Provo HS.

At the same time, BYU has 5 commits from O/D linemen for 2011, has offered 5 more (three 3-stars and a 4-star, with the 5th likely a 3 star player as soon as he is fully evaluated), plus has 3 others coming back from missions.

Check out this OG: http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p= ... id=4632400

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
gmj81
Junior

Post by gmj81 »

Mars brings up a good point. Sometimes a school gets turned on to one player and offers before they even become aware of another player. It's possible BYU offered Aiono before they even knew about Luatua and potentially only wanting to sign one guard this class, want to honor their offer to Aiono before they offer Luatua and say "first come first serve".

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

gmj81 wrote:Mars brings up a good point. Sometimes a school gets turned on to one player and offers before they even become aware of another player. It's possible BYU offered Aiono before they even knew about Luatua and potentially only wanting to sign one guard this class, want to honor their offer to Aiono before they offer Luatua and say "first come first serve".

I disagree with this approach, and I think Bronco has made it known that the kids who commit first get the schollies. As I recall, Ricky Heimuli lost out for that reason. If BYU wants him, and thinks he will commit now, they will offer him, and if another kid loses out due to looking around, that is not BYU's problem. First Come, First Served is exactly the approach BYU is taking, because they read first come to mean totally committed, and I agree with that.

gmj81
Junior

Post by gmj81 »

While I kind of agree with you on that point I think that BYU probably operates a little differently than most schools. This early in the game, they might feel they have to give the first kid time to think about his offer a bit before throwing in the "rush" factor. Getting a commitment from a kid who really doesn't know if he'll fit or wants to be at BYU but is just trying to grab up the offer before another player does doesn't help that kid or BYU at all in the long run if he ends up transferring down the road. Once they've kind of finished the summer camp thing and perhaps gotten a few more offers, then BYU can put the heat on them a little bit because they should have had quite a bit of time to think about things by then and won't feel like they have to jump on the offer right away or not have anything at all.

gmj81
Junior

Post by gmj81 »

Aiono also happens to have plans to serve his mission prior to enrolling so that may explain why he even has an offer at this point. It's possible BYU doesn't want any guards from this class who will occupy a scholarship in 2011.

YBrit
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by YBrit »

BYU isn't the big school on my mind anymore.

Sounds to me like another Notre Dame commit situation. Anybody that's interested in Tennessee, UCLA, USC, Notre Dame is enough for me to understand why they aren't pursuing. Plus his interest appears low.

twitter.com/Y4LYFE
Marsha's hiding in Lubbock, TX.

"We were boxed in and they weren't letting us breathe." -TH