Zach Wilson

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Zach Wilson

Post by hawkwing »

nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Zach Wilson

Post by nuk13 »

What is clean passer rating? He was very good last year and I hope he's even better this year.
Last edited by nuk13 on Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

For perspective, Wilson was good against bad competition. Three quarters of the Utah game excepted.

Not bagging on Zach, just saying he's still young and learning. A September sophomore slump wouldn't be a surprise if it were to happen.

His 100% in the bowl game was way impressive. But he also got lucky on penalties and bailed out by his TE. He's good, but his numbers alone inflate his actual demonstrated ability.
Last edited by CrimsonCoug on Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

CrimsonCoug wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:36 pm But he also got lucky on penalties and bailed out by his TE. He's good, but his numbers alone inflate his actual demonstrated ability.
Someone over at CougarBoard posted highlights of Jim McMahon's career in the last month and the great stats he had. I saw in those highlights quite a few catches that were phenomenal and I posted that some of the greatness of JM was that he had some above average receivers. Same will go for ZW. He'll only be as good as those catching for him. If JM had had some of the package of receivers we've had over the last few years, he might not have broken so many NCAA records.

CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

Totally agree! But were those poor passes/decisions where the receiver bailed him out, or passes where the receiver made an athletic play? Probably a bit of both but more the latter than the former.

I'm just saying, Zach's good but we don't really know how good. We (or at least I) should temper the enthusiasm, not buy into the off-season hype and be prepared that he may not be as good against tough competition as he looked against weak competition.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

CrimsonCoug wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:36 pm For perspective, Wilson was good against bad competition. Three quarters of the Utah game excepted.

Not bagging on Zach, just saying he's still young and learning. A September sophomore slump wouldn't be a surprise if it were to happen.

Hi 100% in the bowl game was way impressive. But he also got lucky on penalties and bailed out by his TE. He's good, but his numbers alone inflate his actual demonstrated ability.
I don't see it. Wilson is a film junkie like BYU Has not seen at QB since John Beck. As in he watches SO MUCH GAME FILM. This kid loves football and the preparation grind. Grimes even mentioned it today about how much Wilson loves football. Wilson is putting in the prep in to avoid the slump and to take the next step. And his WR/TEs are ready to with him because they see his prep and are doing it more too. Best offseason of the SItake era. Not an exaggeration. Guys are doing the work. Hope it translates to more Ws.