Dodd's Top 25

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Dodd's Top 25

Post by Mars »

Post-spring Top 25: Broncos in perfect position to buck establishment
by Dennis Dodd

" They're not talking expansion in Boise. At least not yet. Boise is poised to make a big hit on the title scene. There's the little matter of a national championship chase up in Idaho. While the rest of the country is playing "Big Tenopoly", moving game pieces all over the board, Boise State loves where it is right now. The Broncos have a legitimate chance to play for it all. The Boys of the Blue Turf will be ranked high enough to make a run in every major poll. They kick off the season with a high-profile game against Virginia Tech and, later, against Oregon State. They're certainly good enough with almost everyone back from a 14-0 team. That made it 26 wins in the past 27 and three undefeated regular seasons in the past six. That also included two Fiesta Bowl wins. Even Alabama hasn't done that. Oh yeah, I went there. But let's save the strength of schedule debate until at least August, shall we? For now, don't say you weren't warned as the next offseason Top 25 makes its debut. Armed with the knowledge of the past four months, it's obvious that after expansion and Alabama defending, Boise State is going to be the biggest story going into 2010. "

1. Alabama

2. Boise State: " No use bitching about how the Broncos don't belong here. It doesn't matter. They're going to start in the top five, which means if they win all their games, they will most likely play for the national championship. It's all about September when Boise plays the Hokies and Beavers. Win those two and the Broncos won't lose again in the soft WAC. Quarterback Kellen Moore is a legitimate preseason player of the year candidate, if not Heisman winner in December.

Leading the nation: ... in returning starters. Twenty-one of 22 return in addition to most of the two-deep. Yes, this team deserves to play for a national championship. "

4. Florida
5. TCU " Quarterback Andy Dalton should be a Heisman candidate. Of course in May, Pee Wee Herman is a Heisman candidate, but you get my drift. The next great TCU defensive end is Wayne Daniels, one of nine defensive starters back from the No. 5 scoring defense. Next goal: A July deadline to raise $100 million for stadium renovations that will make TCU look more like a BCS program. If the Big 12 gets raided by the Big Ten, the program might be big time sooner than it thinks. "
7. Texas
11. Virginia Tech
12. Oklahoma
15. USC
16. Florida State "Better than anyone thinks as Jimbo Fisher takes over. FSU is Alabama in miniature. 'Noles will win the ACC in 2011. The Lost Decade is over."

20/22/23 Pitt/Cincy/West Virginia

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... ablishment

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Dodd's Top 25

Post by Ddawg »

Boise St. will probably get a shot @ the National title game starting w/ that high a rating. The stand-out to me is USC. I think they will suffer 2 losses within the PAC-10 & drop a bit more. It's all way early - wait till the cleats get laced up & the pads start popping on Saturday. Bronco will work his magic.
8)

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Ddawg wrote: The stand-out to me is USC. I think they will suffer 2 losses within the PAC-10 & drop a bit more.
USC will have a hard time beating Oregon, Stanford, Oregon State, Cal, Arizona, and Washington individually, IMO.

I also have a hard time seeing Oklahoma lose so many key players and still finish in the Top 15, let alone the Top 25 (which they couldn't do last year).

crazycougar84601
BLUEshirt

Post by crazycougar84601 »

Mars wrote:
Ddawg wrote: The stand-out to me is USC. I think they will suffer 2 losses within the PAC-10 & drop a bit more.
USC will have a hard time beating Oregon, Stanford, Oregon State, Cal, Arizona, and Washington individually, IMO.

I also have a hard time seeing Oklahoma lose so many key players and still finish in the Top 15, let alone the Top 25 (which they couldn't do last year).
So if Oklahoma struggles this year does that open the door for Texas to be Big XII champs, or is there a dark horse? Nebraska maybe?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

BigCougsFan
All-American

Post by BigCougsFan »

crazycougar84601 wrote:
Mars wrote:

So if Oklahoma struggles this year does that open the door for Texas to be Big XII champs, or is there a dark horse? Nebraska maybe?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
I don't know exactly how many players Texas lost to graduation/draft, but I do know they lost Colt McCoy. I highly doubt they will be the Big XII Champs. They did lose a few to the draft, but I'm unaware of who they were. Since they were drafted... They must have been good, which will hurt Texas.

I figure OU will be the Big XII Champs with who they have returning. I can't say for certain how many on their D comes back, but I do know their QB(Jones), their best WR(Broyles) from last year, and their O-line with a year under their belt. I'm counting on them competing for conference champs.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Texas' new QB is the one that led the semi-comeback against Alabama last year. I had assumed that the Longhorns would win the Big XII easily this year, with no one in conference coming close against them. It could be another undefeated season for Texas, Alabama, Boise State, and TCU.

BigCougsFan
All-American

Post by BigCougsFan »

Mars wrote:
Texas' new QB is the one that led the semi-comeback against Alabama last year. I had assumed that the Longhorns would win the Big XII easily this year, with no one in conference coming close against them. It could be another undefeated season for Texas, Alabama, Boise State, and TCU.
Could be. But I see OU mixing things up.

Texas QB did lead that semi come back, but he blew it more than prospered it.

I think that game was similar to BYU/Utah game a few years ago when Brett Ratlif was Utahs QB. We had no idea what his style was. He was the opposite of Johnson, some would say.

Alabama was prepared to face the Heisman QB, not his backup. So they were thrown off cause of it.

I don't think Texas will be undefeated BUT I would love for them to. Cause that makes our Texas game all the better when we beat another National Champ runner up twice in three years.