loyd jr leaves BYU

BYU Cougars on the court.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: loyd jr leaves BYU

Post by Gunk »

snoscythe wrote:Yeah, Loyd's interview didn't really clear the air. At first, he paints it as an academic issue, but later on in the interview, it's plain it wasn't about academics, but all he does is talk in vagueries. Probably got caught donating money to the wrong side of Prop 8 in California.....at least that's my working theory right now.
Rose isn't talking definitively either:

"When it came right down to it, we just felt that the direction that we were going as a team and as a program, and the things that we felt were really, really important. ... Mike struggled with some of those issues," Rose said. "So the best thing for us to do was kinda go in different directions. And that is kind of how it happened." http://www.sltrib.com/D=g/ci_15027285

The words "kind of" doesn't sit well with me. It should be clear to Loyd why he was dismissed, and I hope it is. I hope he knows and is just not being forthcoming with it. I can certainly understand why he may not want to, but it's a clear reason that he understands and doesn't want to discuss it publicly than why wouldn't he just say, "It wasn't for X reason, but I don't want to discuss the details." Anyways, I just hope he knows why so he doesn't leave looking back wondering what he could have done differently. Does a man no good if doesn't know why.

Rose needs to be careful. Without clear cause - especially when his player is saying he doesn't know why he was dismissed and still wants to play - this could blow up in his face.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

I'm Rose knows why he dismissed/parted ways with Loyd. And I'm sure Rose would have conveyed those reasons to Loyd. This is the first player to transfer from BYU since Josh Reisman (back in Cleve's final year) - at least I can't think of anyone else leaving early off the top of my head. I don't think we're in danger of this blowing up in Rose's face and seeing mass defections from the program like we saw up north.

The only other player I can remember leaving early was Broadus - but that was more due to his DUI and other alcohol related issues.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Short_Change
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Short_Change »

kitic77 wrote:I'm Rose knows why he dismissed/parted ways with Loyd. And I'm sure Rose would have conveyed those reasons to Loyd. This is the first player to transfer from BYU since Josh Reisman (back in Cleve's final year) - at least I can't think of anyone else leaving early off the top of my head. I don't think we're in danger of this blowing up in Rose's face and seeing mass defections from the program like we saw up north.

The only other player I can remember leaving early was Broadus - but that was more due to his DUI and other alcohol related issues.
What about the dude that transferred to Oklahoma St? Bobbitt or something like that.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

kitic77 wrote:I'm Rose knows why he dismissed/parted ways with Loyd. And I'm sure Rose would have conveyed those reasons to Loyd. This is the first player to transfer from BYU since Josh Reisman (back in Cleve's final year) - at least I can't think of anyone else leaving early off the top of my head. I don't think we're in danger of this blowing up in Rose's face and seeing mass defections from the program like we saw up north.

While uncommon during the Rose years' it was sadly too common during the Cleveland years...

There was the ultra talented Ron Selleaze in Cleve's 1st couple seasons... who actually played for the Harlem Globetrotters for a while (he's still playing pro ball)
http://www.deltajammersplay2win.com/pro ... e_G_F.html
Selleaze was better than Keena Young by a long shot...

Daniel Bobik (the no defense playing guard/forward)

David Burgess who went from prep all america to BYU benchwarmer to Gonzaga benchwarmer.

and Shawn Oponui and Jake Chrisman who didn't get a lot of pt early and transferred to BYU Hawaii to have all america seasons in the NAIA (Chrisman really should have stayed at BYU)

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Short_Change wrote:

What about the dude that transferred to Oklahoma St? Bobbitt or something like that.
Daniel Bobik transferred under Cleveland.

(8.4x
..................ATT
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Didn't Selleaze leave due to the Honor Code. I thought he and a buddy were dismissed for smoking pot. I was on mission when it happened so I don't really remember.

(8.4x
..................ATT
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

I am sure Loyd Jr. knows why he was booted from the team. It sounds to me like it was fundamentally due to a - Bad Attitude and Lack of Respect. Coach Rose probably did the right thing. I still suggest Loyd Jr. consider getting his Bad Attitude quickly fixed and show up respectfully asking permission to walk on the team in the Fall and that he stay at BYU to graduate no matter what answer he gets.

Note that I not only have taken the extra L out of Loyd but added a capital J in Jr. just in case Mars starts runnin spell check on me. I apologize to Loyd and JJ for recent mispellings of their names. But Mars headline recently posted with Emminent in place of Imminent tops those gaffes. As I did previously to appease the spellchecking Mars - I will once again acknowledge - I am old, I have bad eyes, and I only memorize the correct spelling of a players name after they have started for a season or so. Even then - I may screw up 50% of the time. ANd I realize a tongue lashing from Mars is Imminent. Or is that Emminent? O yeah - tongue lashing from the Emminent Mars is Imminent!

None of it matters much - but hey - it is the off-season.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Lawboy wrote:I do not disagree. But I do wonder exactly what the kid did that was so wrong that went against what BYU believes in. His haircut? A tongue ring? If so, then it was an HC issue, in spite of what is being reported and talked about by all parties. Future academics? They are deciding he will already fail at BYU now? Not sure I like that precedent, if it is the case, especially seeing how Bronco and staff bent over backwards to help Manase Tonga. The what? I think the real story is not being told, and if it is, it is silliness.
Any questions now?

(8.4x
..................ATT
kjjson
Freshman

Post by kjjson »

craigoscarson wrote:

While uncommon during the Rose years' it was sadly too common during the Cleveland years...

There was the ultra talented Ron Selleaze in Cleve's 1st couple seasons... who actually played for the Harlem Globetrotters for a while (he's still playing pro ball)

David Burgess who went from prep all america to BYU benchwarmer to Gonzaga benchwarmer.

and Shawn Oponui and Jake Chrisman who didn't get a lot of pt early and transferred to BYU Hawaii to have all america seasons in the NAIA (Chrisman really should have stayed at BYU)
Another to transfer under Rose (I believe) was Jordan Cameron, who is now entering his Senior year at USC at Tight End. For USC Football, he has played limited time in 11 games and doesn't have a reception. He also played briefly in 3 basketball games in 2008, but didn't score a point.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

kjjson wrote:
craigoscarson wrote:

Another to transfer under Rose (I believe) was Jordan Cameron, who is now entering his Senior year at USC at Tight End. For USC Football, he has played limited time in 11 games and doesn't have a reception. He also played briefly in 3 basketball games in 2008, but didn't score a point.
He did us a favor by leaving; he was a tweener recruit during the time that the Cougs were struggling to recruit and make the transition through the dropoff of the last Cleveland years (though I loved the 02-04 teams)... He's another slow 3/undersized 4(Zylstra, Magnusson) that BYU has had a lot of, and when they start, we're not usually a top 25 team; though I don't mind them as bench players.

BTW - Jordan's sister Brynn was an all-american caliber college basketball player at USC, til Matt Leinart got her pregnant...

Both Jordan and Brynn were working really hard with USC hoops to try to get Kyle Collinsworth to attend there.