anyone still willing to back Loyd?

BYU Cougars on the court.
CougarClaw
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: anyone still willing to back Loyd?

Post by CougarClaw »

BYUBALLIN wrote:iam from chicago, so i think you guys gotta a better insight than me. It seems like the salt lake newspaper is always trying to take shots at BYU. Why post this story what point does this prove. Why drag loyd's name through the mud, why is it the whole worlds business that he got speeding tix.
I think the Trib paints a more liberal picture than the DN but you have to differentiate yourself somehow...

I agree the timing is suspect, but you don't think 9 speeding tickets is newsworthy information about someone who 'didn't fit in' at a high-standards university?

Even putting that aside, anyone caught drinking and driving(even with a legal blood alcohol limit) WITH weed in the car is certainly honor code noteworthy. I'm not sure something like this is dragging anyone's name through the mud when you agree to do one thing and choose another.

Can you imagine if this story had broken right after the Florida game and right before Kansas St? Holy distraction.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

Honestly, I like the timing. It makes Dave Rose look like a saint. If he did or didn't have info on Loyd, he didn't drag his dirty laundry into the media. He handled the situation with class.

People made it out to be a bad decision by Rose or that Loyd was justified in leaving a school that he just didn't fit in at. Truth is, Loyd was an irresponsible kid that didnt' intend on keeping the honor code and no one knows how many other times he was drinking or using pot; we just know the one time he got caught. (something he obviously hid from the coaching staff) This makes the issues of the mohawk, tongue ring, and skipping academic classes look small in comparison but those all show a pattern of behavior that just isn't suitable at BYU.

It had nothing to do with fitting in, and honestly 9 speeding tickets, a dui and possesion of marijuana is worthy of getting kicked out of any school in my opinion. (not that he would be kicked at other schools)

I'm glad that we filled his scholarship with a juco all america RM with 3 to play 3; and I'm glad that Loyd left before he was the face of BYU hoops (at the point position) his senior year and then screwed up for it to be national news.

I very rarely get the impression that Jay Drew has bad intentions and in this case I think it justifies BYU pushing Loyd out.

I like the timing and I like that it was the media that put it out there.

Selfishly and ironically, I also like the fact that we had Loyd long enough to win an NCAA tourney game... he earned his 3 yrs of free school that day. I'd say we're even....

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Eessh. Poor kid.

What I don't get is how Rose didn't know about this. I guess the same thing happened with Bronco, but it's still a bit puzzling. Guess it shows the circles Loyd was running with weren't the same circles the other players were running with.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

BYUBALLIN wrote:iam from chicago, so i think you guys gotta a better insight than me. It seems like the salt lake newspaper is always trying to take shots at BYU. Why post this story what point does this prove. Why drag loyd's name through the mud, why is it the whole worlds business that he got speeding tix.
More pathetic that they sighted each and every ticket, along with information on the specifics (location, date, etc.) of each one. Sure, he made dumb decisions, but leave the kid alone... the least we can do is try and not leave him hating BYU.

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

Italics wrote: Sure, he made dumb decisions, but leave the kid alone... the least we can do is try and not leave him hating BYU.
Well, if he hates BYU over something the Trib does, then there really is no appeasing him. I agree that we should "let it go" but to say that something is less newsworthy because we want a former standout to not "not like us" is a bit nonsensical.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

ABYUFAN wrote: Well, if he hates BYU over something the Trib does, then there really is no appeasing him. I agree that we should "let it go" but to say that something is less newsworthy because we want a former standout to not "not like us" is a bit nonsensical.
Bravo! It really is, isn't it?

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars