The QB Poll

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.

Who do you think will win BYU's starting quarterback job?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:05 am

Riley Nelson
42%
Jake Heaps
58%
James Lark
No votes
Jason Munns
No votes

Total votes: 26

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: The QB Poll

Post by SpiffCoug »

Mars wrote:
Anyway, over the first 11 practices Nelson threw for 103 yards and 1 TD- during an endzone drill (less than 10 passing yards a day- including days where he threw for 2 yards and 0 yards... not confidence-inducing for a kid who could potentially start against Washington... were Heaps injured), while Heaps threw for 5 TDs and approximately 550 yards. This is where most of the "Nelson got blown away" comments and thoughts were solidly formed and founded. Justifiably so. Heaps also had at least two throws of over 50 yards that were dropped by WRs. Not intercepted, dropped. I don't think Nelson could even hope to throw a ball that far, and opposing defenses will know that.
I saw with my own two eyes Nelson throw two balls of 50yards in the air during the spring game. Question? Why did Heaps numbers fall off towards the end of camp? Why did five of his seven TDs come during the first two weeks? Those questions about early vs late production can go both way. Again, who cares when they come? Did those three TDs count less because they came late in the spring ball period?

I think we've hashed numbers enough. I think the race is close and I think it will continue deep into the fall camp. I think two weeks into spring ball the race was definitely shaping up to be in Heaps' favor. But Nelson clearly raised his game and made it into a competition.

Did he inspire enough confidence in coaches in teammates to show that the Cougs might be able to be patient with Heaps and let him have some time to develop? We'll find out in a few months.

I will say this, if fall camp starts the same way - with Heaps playing very well and Nelson struggling, I don't think the coaches will wait to see if Nelson can raise his game again. I think they would name Heaps the starter and start getting him ready for Washington. And I would fully agree and support that decision.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

In my mind nelson would be the less risky qb but more someone that would be adequate. Heaps seems like a qb that has way more upside and potential to really raise the team to new heights.

Seems to me that sooner or later jake is going to seperate himself substantially and take over the starting spot.

I think he should be eased in though. I want jake but think it seems more wise to start nelson absent jake putting some serious seperatiom between him and others come fall ball.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

jonnylingo wrote:In my mind nelson would be the less risky qb but more someone that would be adequate. Heaps seems like a qb that has way more upside and potential to really raise the team to new heights.

Seems to me that sooner or later jake is going to seperate himself substantially and take over the starting spot.

I think he should be eased in though. I want jake but think it seems more wise to start nelson absent jake putting some serious seperatiom between him and others come fall ball.

I don't like the easing in idea if you are talking about a mid-season change. Utah tried doing a planned phase in last year, trading Terrance Cain's 7-1 starting record for Wynn's 3-2. I don't know that Cain would've made a difference in the TCU game, but it could've been the difference in the BYU game. If we're talking about any other position on the field, a mid-season change isn't horrible, but changing a QB is a paradigm shift for the entire offense. You need to pick your horse early on and get the entire team behind them. If it's Heaps, everyone needs to get behind him and let him make mistakes and grow, and if it's Nelson, everyone needs to get behind him and trust that the coaches have a good reason to have him on the field instead of Heaps. Using a phase-in just leaves too much room for uncertainty and second guessing.

If you need to phase someone in, a back-up position or a redshirt season are best. Don't plan to change your horse midrace.

That being said, if the guy you picked consistently fails to get the job done, that's what the pine is for.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

snoscythe wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:In my mind nelson would be the less risky qb but more someone that would be adequate. Heaps seems like a qb that has way more upside and potential to really raise the team to new heights.

I don't like the easing in idea if you are talking about a mid-season change. Utah tried doing a planned phase in last year, trading Terrance Cain's 7-1 starting record for Wynn's 3-2. I don't know that Cain would've made a difference in the TCU game, but it could've been the difference in the BYU game. If we're talking about any other position on the field, a mid-season change isn't horrible, but changing a QB is a paradigm shift for the entire offense. You need to pick your horse early on and get the entire team behind them. If it's Heaps, everyone needs to get behind him and let him make mistakes and grow, and if it's Nelson, everyone needs to get behind him and trust that the coaches have a good reason to have him on the field instead of Heaps. Using a phase-in just leaves too much room for uncertainty and second guessing.

If you need to phase someone in, a back-up position or a redshirt season are best. Don't plan to change your horse midrace.

That being said, if the guy you picked consistently fails to get the job done, that's what the pine is for.
100% agreed. Especially when we have 2 such different styles of offense that each will run.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

Mars wrote:
Ddawg wrote: This is such a "shot in the dark" - because we are not at the practices actually watching. All the info. We are getting is 2nd hand & filtered. I'm taking a "wait & see" attitude. Either way - the right decision will be made. I expect changes to occur during the season as both QB's evolve & develop. No question - both QB's (Nelson & Heaps) are talented & bring real game to the table.
Maybe that the "right" approach, to refuse to take sides or be in any QBs camp at all. I'm just too opinionated to go that route, personally. Besides, it's supposed to be more fun to have a sports opinion than not.
I do have an opinion. I firmly believe that after just Spring Practice - it is too early to pick a QB. I think the Y Coaches feel the same way - or - they would have announced their choice by now. I don't think Bronco plays games. I believe Bronco is a straight shooter & there is a real competition going on for the starting QB spot.

That said - this team will be Jake's. The question is "when?" This Fall, next year? I don't have any idea. If I was able to attend every practice & watch the reps I could give you an informed opinion. As it is, I only get my info. from internet sites.

I'm certainly opinionated - but I will admit my insight if very limited. I have no inside contacts of friends associated w/ the team. I certainly appreciate yours & other folks comments that do have "inside contacts." Me - I'm just a BYU Football fan that wants to learn all I can about my team.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

kitic77 wrote:
Mars wrote: Anyway, over the first 11 practices Nelson threw for 103 yards and 1 TD- during an endzone drill (less than 10 passing yards a day- including days where he threw for 2 yards and 0 yards... not confidence-inducing for a kid who could potentially start against Washington... were Heaps injured), while Heaps threw for 5 TDs and approximately 550 yards. This is where most of the "Nelson got blown away" comments and thoughts were solidly formed and founded. Justifiably so.
Question? Why did Heaps numbers fall off towards the end of camp? Why did five of his seven TDs come during the first two weeks? Those questions about early vs late production can go both way. Again, who cares when they come? Did those three TDs count less because they came late in the spring ball period?

...I think two weeks into spring ball the race was definitely shaping up to be in Heaps' favor. But Nelson clearly raised his game and made it into a competition... I will say this, if fall camp starts the same way - with Heaps playing very well and Nelson struggling, I don't think the coaches will wait to see if Nelson can raise his game again. I think they would name Heaps the starter and start getting him ready for Washington. And I would fully agree and support that decision.
The entire camp was two weeks worth of practices (14 days).

Heaps went from 5 TDs and 550 yards in 11 days to 2 TDs and 200 yards in 3 days. That's actually a raise, not a drop-off.

Nelson had 1 TD, 103 yards over 11 days of practice, including days where he threw for 2 and 0 yards. That's shows both inconsistance and poor play, neither of which you want in a starter, especially on opening day against Washington.

Do scores in garbage time of blowout games mean less? Actually, to the informed viewer they do. And an informed viewer realizes that Nelson's last 4 TDs can't compare to Jake's first 5. 1st string vs. 3rd string D makes a huge, huge difference. As Unga's and Lark's long TD passes prove.

I don't think Nelson has raised his game. I think his game is still far below Heaps'. It's like Loyd coming in as a back-up and having one great game, and some people thinking imediately that he should start ahead of Jimmer. Nelson took advantage of getting 3 more series than Heaps in what were basically "goof off" practices. Good for him, but by then we had already seen who he truly was as a Div. I-A QB. His Scout team QB exploits don't do anything to change that.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars