An AQ for the MWC will make it all better

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
allcoug
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

An AQ for the MWC will make it all better

Post by allcoug »

Now that the conference changes seem to be coming to an end the realities of the future are starting to settle in...I don't think it looks all that bad for BYU. All the MWC needs is an automatic bid to the BCS. If/when this happens we may look back at this day the thank Utah for leaving.

If the MWC had an automatic bid then we would be playing for a national championship every year - and we wouldn't have to get caught up in the rivalry game which has become very mean spirited over the years. Let's not forget that BSU has made just as much a name for themselves as Utah has over the last 5 years. The competition between TCU, BSU and BYU would be fierce competition, which is great, but it would eliminate the side show of the rivalry that the media loves but the fans (BYU and Utah) hate. And maybe the 'Holy War' term will be dead forever.

And even better, if we do get an automatic bid we will be the big dog of the conference, we won't be the step child of the PAC 10 or the Big 12, which means we will have the opportunity to increase our TV revenues and possibly implement a pro-rated share of the conference revenues, similar to Texas and OU. And the with an AQ bid the other teams will get better. We will ensure ourselves as the owner of the SLC TV market, which is the main reason the PAC 10 wants UT.

If I had to choose today I would keep the MWC as is with an automatic bid over joining the Big 12. Sounds crazy, but I really believe this would be the best situation. Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for. I think all BYU needs (and the MWC) is access to the big game - if we join any other conference we will always play in somebody's shadow.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Re: An AQ for the MWC will make it all better

Post by Lawboy »

I'd rather be a top middle team in the Big 12 and get that $$$ and recognition from it, then win the MWC every 2-3 years. Something to be said for playing Texas and OU in football, Kansas and Missouri in hoops on an ongoing basis. Plus, the MWC may get BCS $$$, but that is a drop in the bucket now, and the TV money is getting silly. The MWC $1.25M per year is a pittance and I;d rather get $10-12M from a Big 12 deal, with an outside shot at a BCS bowl. Come on, Texas at LES and Kansas and the MC trumps anything the MWC can offer.

allcoug
Recruit

Post by allcoug »

I agree with all of that - and if BYU gets invited to the Big 12 then great. The football schedule would be simply awesome AND we could focus on real football instead of the stupid sideshow that the rivalry game has become. All I'm saying is that all hope isn't lost if we don't get invited. An AQ to the BCS would really make the MWC interesting. I do have to say that the lack of pubilc commitment to the MWC and the continued silence by the BYU admin is a pretty obvious sign that some back room discussions are taking place.

BigCougsFan
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BigCougsFan »

What's up with all the speculation of BYU going to the Big XII?

I thought Dan Beebe made it clear they weren't going to expand and shoot for a Championship game with only 10 schools.

Am I missing something?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

BigCougsFan wrote:What's up with all the speculation of BYU going to the Big XII?

I thought Dan Beebe made it clear they weren't going to expand and shoot for a Championship game with only 10 schools.

Am I missing something?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Steve Jobs: "We're not interested in the cell phone market"
Apple: Releases iphone

Steve Jobs: "tablets are pointless"
Apple: Releases iPad

I think Beebe is telling the truth. Until he isn't anymore.

CAFB_04-12
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

Steve Jobs was dragged into the phone and tablet business reluctantly and only when his developers produced a GAME CHANGING product.

That said, does anyone think that the MWC will get an AQ bid during the next cycle? Without Utah on board I don't think it happens. And talk of a Big-12 invite is just bunk. We could conjecture all day on back-room deals, but this is just wishful jealousy right now.

I would have preferred Utah stay in the MWC and become a lock for AQ status.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Do you believe everything that you are told?