MTN just can't leave it alone

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: MTN just can't leave it alone

Post by Lawboy »

If a bear takes a crap in the woods, does it really happen?

Yes, there is still a pile of steaming crap, and it is still in the woods where no one will see it.....

imuakahuku
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by imuakahuku »

Isola wrote:I always have to laugh at this argument because any team in the country could do it. It isn't as though BYU gets some special exception.

Can you imagine some GA at SDSU pitching the idea to Hoke...

GA: Coach I've got a great new idea! I call it "Sign, Send, & Sit".

Hoke: How does it work?

GA: When we sign a young talented freshman class the first thing we do is send themout for a two year stint in the Peace Corps...hence "Sign, Send & Sit".

Hoke: Are they going to practice football in the Peace Corps?

GA: Nope. Not a bit. They just do Peace Corps stuff.

Hoke: Aren't they going to be a bit rusty when they get back?

GA: Oh, of course...but that is where the "sit" comes in. When they get back we will sit them for a year.

Hoke: Ah yes..."Sign, Send & Sit"...Now when they go to the Peace Corps we are guaranteed that they will come back to the Mesa, right?

GA: Well...no. After they have been out a year then they are actually uncommitted and they can commit to any other school but I can't imagine that being a problem. Plus the upside is more than worth the risk. Are you ready for the upside?

Hoke: Sure. Hit me with it.

GA: They won't even start playing until they are around 22 and they won't run out of eligibility until they are 26! Imagine we could have 26 year olds playing against other teams' 18 year olds!

Hoke: Well won't they normally be playing against other teams' 21 or 22 year old seniors?

GA: That's the glass-half-empty way of looking at it.

Hoke: What if the kid has NFL type talent? I can't imagine he will want to wait until he is 26 to get to the League.

GA: Coach...if we had kids with NFL type talent we wouldn't be losing to FCS schools.

Hoke:....

GA: Besides, if they have NFL talent then we would basically have Pro-Bowlers playing against other teams' 18 year olds.

Hoke: Brilliant! [grabs Guinness]
FYI Hoke is the one on the left.

CAFB_04-12
All-American

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

tmoney35 wrote:
CAFB_04-12 wrote:I'm telling you, just stop watching anything on the Mtn that doesn't involve the actual game. It's like reading the comments section on a BYU article on the Trib (or the DesNews for that matter).

Anytime I read one of the stories in the News Bites, the first 3 or 4 comments are almost always :utard:
They have serious issues over there.
Seriously! There is one poster on DesNews, ChrisB, who is ALWAYS the first to post on any BYU article. Problem is? He's a freaking Ute and BYU hater. I've stopped reading comments, which is easier now since the DesNews makes it harder to see them on the article page.
Last edited by CAFB_04-12 on Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dcr36
All-American

Post by Dcr36 »

CAFB_04-12 wrote:
tmoney35 wrote:
CAFB_04-12 wrote:I'm telling you, just stop watching anything on the Mtn that doesn't involve the actual game. It's like reading the comments section on a BYU article on the Trib (or the DesNews for that matter).

Anytime I read one of the stories in the News Bites, the first 3 or 4 comments are almost always :utard:
They have serious issues over there.
Seriously! There is one poster on DesNews, ChrisB, who is ALWAYS the first to post on any BYU article. Problem is? He's a freaking Ute and BYU hater. I've stopped reading comments, which is easier now since the DesNews makes it harder to see them on the article page.
I have a weird fascination with reading Gordon Monson's columns about BYU, even though they piss me off nine out of ten times. Having said that, I never scroll down to the comments anymore. There was a particularly nasty thread under one of his articles about BYU independence a few months ago. Somehow, some of those readers were able to a) slight the football team/coach/program b) slight the university's academic standing/academic freedom, c) slight the fanbase (whether or not that implicated the church is sort of an "eye of the beholder" thing), and then brush it off nonchalantly with "Oh well, I'm gonna be watching Pac-12 football next year, so I don't really care." All in like 3 sentences! I'd call that spectacular trolling if it weren't for the fact that they seemed pretty dang sincere.

I'm trying to take Pres. Uchtdorf's message to heart, so that's all I'll say about Utah fans on the Trib comments section. ;) Actually, I think news comment sections are generally awful. Both my father-in-law and brother-in-law decided on their own at different times that DesNews/Trib comment sections (sports and otherwise) were non-informative and a risk to blood pressure and stopped reading them.

BYUgeezer
Recruit

Post by BYUgeezer »

Actually I think these young men coming to BYU and planning to serve missions are more mature as Freshman than many of their counter parts at other schools.

CAFB_04-12
All-American

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

I don't like Monson, but I will read what he has to say because it's out there and it's about BYU. But I won't read comments on the Trib or the DesNews because it makes me hate my fellow man. And that doesn't make me feel good.

imuakahuku
All-American

Post by imuakahuku »

CAFB_04-12 wrote:I don't like Monson, but I will read what he has to say because it's out there and it's about BYU. But I won't read comments on the Trib or the DesNews because it makes me hate my fellow man. And that doesn't make me feel good.
C'mon, you know you don't hate them, you just hate what they say. It is perfectly fine to abhorr evil.

Cougy_Monster
Sophomore

Post by Cougy_Monster »

Dcr36 wrote:Somehow, some of those readers were able to a) slight the football team/coach/program b) slight the university's academic standing/academic freedom, c) slight the fanbase (whether or not that implicated the church is sort of an "eye of the beholder" thing), and then brush it off nonchalantly with "Oh well, I'm gonna be watching Pac-12 football next year, so I don't really care." All in like 3 sentences! I'd call that spectacular trolling if it weren't for the fact that they seemed pretty dang sincere.
The funny part is that yewt fans think they're going to have a great time watching pac12 football.....when in reality none of the "fans" will be watching a few games into the yewts losing season.