The Offense: Talent or Coaching?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
mizzoucoug
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

The Offense: Talent or Coaching?

Post by mizzoucoug »

Which is it? I think looking at the D is fair...they have been coached by Bronco for 2 weeks and now we see some guys stepping up and making big plays. For instance, how many tackles for a loss were there in this game? Now compare that to the games Hill was calling. It's night and day.

Problem is it's so hard to tell because when we can legitimately count 10 drops per game by our receivers, you cannot blame that on Anae. But in general, this offense is about as boring as can be. I see zero speed and zero separation by anyone. And Heaps can't hit the broad side of LES on a clear day.

So what's the answer?

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: The Offense: Talent or Coaching?

Post by BroncoBot »

mizzoucoug wrote:Which is it? I think looking at the D is fair...they have been coached by Bronco for 2 weeks and now we see some guys stepping up and making big plays. For instance, how many tackles for a loss were there in this game? Now compare that to the games Hill was calling. It's night and day.

Problem is it's so hard to tell because when we can legitimately count 10 drops per game by our receivers, you cannot blame that on Anae. But in general, this offense is about as boring as can be. I see zero speed and zero separation by anyone. And Heaps can't hit the broad side of LES on a clear day.

So what's the answer?
I can handle boring play calling. Drops, bad routes, giving up on plays; that's what drives me crazy. probably just a combo of coaching and personnel on the field. it's definitely not talent.

This BYU team has more Talent than most of the 80s or 90s teams, but they don't have any killer instinct. No Max Hall type fire in the belly. Nothing. Just going through the motions.

YBrit
All-American

Post by YBrit »

Lets start with WRs: Ashworth-how the heck did he get back into playing football?
Mckay-where the heck were you. Drop at the end right?
Chambers-should've stayed in Provo. In fact, transfer to Mike Loyd's school.

RBs-takes the brunt of the game, JJ and Anae have some sort of agreement that I don't think is productive.

QB-Okay, something isn't working and Heaps isn't playing to his strengths, balanced, and when he does make a good pass it's only 1-2 yards, or receivers dropping the ball. I think people should be fired to send another defensive message.

twitter.com/Y4LYFE
Marsha's hiding in Lubbock, TX.

"We were boxed in and they weren't letting us breathe." -TH
cougman
Freshman

Post by cougman »

Both. We're 2-5. We've lost to Utah St and Air Force (I know AF is decent but we own that team). This board is exploding over Anae, and rightfully so. Outside of Di Luigi, we have no playmakers whatsoever. So talent is an issue. That doesn't mean that we don't have talented players (Heaps, Di Luigi, Van Noy come to mind), but not like the past 5 years or so. Anae's offenses are built around money Tight Ends and in case you haven't noticed, we're severely hurting in that category right now.

SenorCougar
Sophomore

Post by SenorCougar »

cougman wrote:Both. We're 2-5. We've lost to Utah St and Air Force (I know AF is decent but we own that team). This board is exploding over Anae, and rightfully so. Outside of Di Luigi, we have no playmakers whatsoever. So talent is an issue. That doesn't mean that we don't have talented players (Heaps, Di Luigi, Van Noy come to mind), but not like the past 5 years or so. Anae's offenses are built around money Tight Ends and in case you haven't noticed, we're severely hurting in that category right now.
Then it is up to Anae to adjust. Look at your strengths, your experience and players mastery of the plays. Then develop a game plan to their level. And inspire the players. I get the feeling that maybe the confidence of the offense is shaken and needs an injection of inspiration. The offensive coaching staff seems unable to positively provide motivation....

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

Both. As a point of comparison BSU playing a sucky SJSU did not call the same play twice in the first half. Well that is an overstatement--they did several sweeps and off tackle runs. The play calling was excellent in my view because it was completely unpredictable. But they also have better skill position players. The OLine is better too. (They have yet to give up a sack). The WRs are fast and catch the ball, the TE gets open, and they have runners who can bang and burn. We have quite a ways to go.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

BoiseBYU wrote:Both. As a point of comparison BSU playing a sucky SJSU did not call the same play twice in the first half. Well that is an overstatement--they did several sweeps and off tackle runs. The play calling was excellent in my view because it was completely unpredictable. But they also have better skill position players. The OLine is better too. (They have yet to give up a sack). The WRs are fast and catch the ball, the TE gets open, and they have runners who can bang and burn. We have quite a ways to go.

Let me sum your post up:
BSU has offense playmakers that could contribute THIS WEEK in the NFL. BYU does not. :sulk:

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

declocoug wrote:
BoiseBYU wrote:Both. As a point of comparison BSU playing a sucky SJSU did not call the same play twice in the first half. Well that is an overstatement--they did several sweeps and off tackle runs. The play calling was excellent in my view because it was completely unpredictable. But they also have better skill position players. The OLine is better too. (They have yet to give up a sack). The WRs are fast and catch the ball, the TE gets open, and they have runners who can bang and burn. We have quite a ways to go.

Let me sum your post up:
BSU has offense playmakers that could contribute THIS WEEK in the NFL. BYU does not. :sulk:
Probably have coaches who could make a difference in the NFL too :sulk: