In Bronco I Trust

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
CougarPeasant
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: In Bronco I Trust

Post by CougarPeasant »

I'm very much in the pro-Bronco and his staff camp. In fact, I used to use "In Bronco I Trust" in my signature back on the board that shall remain nameless. What I admire about Bronco is that through all this turmoil, he has not once thrown a player or coach under the bus. How often have we seen other coaches do that just in the MWC?!!!

This is turning into a transition season for our beloved Cougs. I was really hoping it would be a reloading year, like we saw in 2007, but unfortunately, it isn't. Yet, the team will improve over the season and the talent that is there will establish itself.

What I am seeing is that this is why other programs do not send their players out for 2 years to serve their church or to serve in the Peace Corp, or the like. BYU has so much talent just returned, but it came back when there was a dearth of talent and with no time to prepare for this season. Were BYU to keep their players for 4-5 straight years with no loses, this team would be absolutely killer right now. Munns or Lark would be the established starter right now. Hine would be anchoring the backfield. The TEs would be Pitta/George redux. But it wasn't to be. Juggling the missionary athletes is especially trying this season. Notice no one is complaining about BYU's unfair RM advantage this season as compared to last season. Would I change a thing about players serving missions? Only that they all serve in some capacity, if possible.

But this hinderance will be a thing of the past in time the way Bronco has set up the program for future success. (He seems to understand that he needs to space out his classes in such a way that the cupboard is always full, regardless of missions or injury.)

One thing I wish Bronco would do is publically embrace the fans more. He continually brings up the fact that he was booed his first season and if he did the same thing to day that he did that day, he'd be booed again. Enough with complaining about fans. One of the best ways to get the fans to love him even more than they do now is to embrace them, compliment them, and remember that the fans make BYU special as much as the players do.

(My apologies if my rant is a bit incoherent, too much Dr Pepper in my system right now. ;))

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

CougarPeasant wrote: One thing I wish Bronco would do is publically embrace the fans more. He continually brings up the fact that he was booed his first season and if he did the same thing to day that he did that day, he'd be booed again. Enough with complaining about fans. One of the best ways to get the fans to love him even more than they do now is to embrace them, compliment them, and remember that the fans make BYU special as much as the players do.
Agreed. Every time he brings it up I roll my eyes and wish I could slap some sense into him. Some things Bronco just doesn't get. He's a special individual alright, that's for sure.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

Fans are ignorant, generally speaking. Bronco knows it and any of you who do not know it are in serious denial. You can't amke th efans happy - except by winning every game by a large margin and winnign the national championship every year. that is reality.

BYU fans seem to me to be particularly spoiled and unrealistic.

BTW - my apologies for a post I made on another thread calling out MARS and LawBoy for being unsupportive of the coaches. Had I read this thread first - I would have needed to call out only MARS and perhaps others but not Lawboy.

The biggest mistake the coahces made was LAST YEAR in not following Unga around all last season and in not getting Nelson and others a bit more PT and turning them lose when they got it. But, if you recall, games like New Mexico that shoulda provided such opportunity - did not do so.

The coaches were geniuses at Oklahoma, idiots Vs Florida State, geniuses for a few weeks, idiots Vs TCU, geniuses for several weeks, and idiots in the Utah game until Max Hall, on an off day caused by a very good defense, threaded the needle.

What will Heaps do this year - the Utah Game is a "Must Win". RIght now - I think he throws to JJ who splits two defenders and breaks free for the winning score. more liley - JJ gets stopped on the 1 and we get a winning field goal.

Go Cougs

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

I think we learned once again that Bronco is a great FB coach. Not just in X's and O's for the defense, but that when he gets in and leads--his team follows. I was glad to see him get more hands on again, see him into it on the sideline, and this BYU team will benefit from it. Bronco is a leader, whether he understands it or not, and sometimes I think he fails to fully grasp it. Kids love playing for him, respect him, and want him to set the tone for them. I hope that is the lesson he learned the last 4+ weeks.

Also want to give props to Coach Anae, who called his best game of the year. Finally leaned on the O-line, did not make Jake and our poor WR/TE group have to win it, and played smash mouth football. I hope it continues because it is how this team needs to win this year.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

Lawboy wrote:I think we learned once again that Bronco is a great FB coach. Not just in X's and O's for the defense, but that when he gets in and leads--his team follows. I was glad to see him get more hands on again, see him into it on the sideline, and this BYU team will benefit from it. Bronco is a leader, whether he understands it or not, and sometimes I think he fails to fully grasp it. Kids love playing for him, respect him, and want him to set the tone for them. I hope that is the lesson he learned the last 4+ weeks.

Also want to give props to Coach Anae, who called his best game of the year. Finally leaned on the O-line, did not make Jake and our poor WR/TE group have to win it, and played smash mouth football. I hope it continues because it is how this team needs to win this year.
**BUMP**

Just want to reiterate my faith in Bronco. The changes in his defense over a 2 week period since he took over has been night and day. These guys have really come to play and look so much better. I mean, they look like the D we all hoped for this year--finally.

I trust that Bronco will not allow his offense to suffer for too much longer either. Bronco is a defense guy first, but obviously knows that his O is underachieving this year. I trust him to get the ship corrected--and fast. I suspect that the BYU O will play more smash mouth, less spread the rest of the way. I understand that we all expect the identity of BYU football to be passing, but when your strength is power football--you play to strength. 4-1 at worst, with a dream for 5-0 the rest of the way.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Lawboy wrote:
Lawboy wrote:I think we learned once again that Bronco is a great FB coach. Not just in X's and O's for the defense, but that when he gets in and leads--his team follows. I was glad to see him get more hands on again, see him into it on the sideline, and this BYU team will benefit from it. Bronco is a leader, whether he understands it or not, and sometimes I think he fails to fully grasp it. Kids love playing for him, respect him, and want him to set the tone for them. I hope that is the lesson he learned the last 4+ weeks.

**BUMP**

Just want to reiterate my faith in Bronco. The changes in his defense over a 2 week period since he took over has been night and day. These guys have really come to play and look so much better. I mean, they look like the D we all hoped for this year--finally.

I trust that Bronco will not allow his offense to suffer for too much longer either. Bronco is a defense guy first, but obviously knows that his O is underachieving this year. I trust him to get the ship corrected--and fast. I suspect that the BYU O will play more smash mouth, less spread the rest of the way. I understand that we all expect the identity of BYU football to be passing, but when your strength is power football--you play to strength. 4-1 at worst, with a dream for 5-0 the rest of the way.
You can't pass if you don't run. The power I is the best we've looked this year. Everyone sees it but vANAElla.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like: