RB's Need to be More Situational

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Italics
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

RB's Need to be More Situational

Post by Italics »

Di Luigi has put me on a mental roller coaster this year. So has Kariya. As much firepower as JJ gives us from time to time - I am beginning to get tired of watching RA go to him time after time despite when it becomes obvious that he's just not doing it against the current defense we're going up against.

JJ is great when he has large gaping holes to work with - but as we've all seen, he is a pushover. Simply breathe on him and he goes down. He hesitates too much in the back field, and so more aggressive and physical defenses eat him up alive. It's no coincidence that Kariya and Juice have gotten more done for us in such situations.

To be honest, I think at this point Quezada is where we need to be investing the most plays into. I'd like to see JJ come in for some option and play action plays. For straight power running, however, there is no reason that we should be going with JJ over Kariya or Quezada. Addionally - as we all know, JJ is a huge fumble threat, and he's already had some fumbles this year that have cost us big time and basically cancelled out any good runs he's had.

Much like the QB situation - our use of backs just hasn't made much sense yet this year.
Last edited by Italics on Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
kiwibacon
All-American

Re: RB's Need to be More Situational

Post by kiwibacon »

Not a lot has made sense this year. A lot of poor decisions have been made. The best decision, though late, was Hill being let go. Yes, we lost to TCU but I loved watching BYU's defense again.

As far as running backs not having Unga hurts but still our use of who we have could be done better by having the right personnel in doing certain plays.

Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

kiwibacon wrote:Not a lot has made sense this year. A lot of poor decisions have been made. The best decision, though late, was Hill being let go. Yes, we lost to TCU but I loved watching BYU's defense again.

As far as running backs not having Unga hurts but still our use of who we have could be done better by having the right personnel in doing certain plays.
The defense was a thing of beauty. You know, it's sadly funny - Anae even hurt our DEFENSE on Saturday. Without his playcalling, we'd have held TCU to 3 points in the entire half...

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

I definitely wouldn't label JJ as "soft", like Ashworth and Jacobsen. JJ has a mean stiff-arm. I agree that he does better when he dances less in the backfield though, and that he is a liability dropping passes and fumbling, though he's still our #1 playmaker on offense. And I also agree that Quezada, Hague, and Kariya are better Blue Zone and up-the-gut options. Just like how Kariya is a terrible around-the-end option.

Basically every RB is underused this season, aside from Kariya. And even Kariya is underused from the Power I. Anae is garbage in that most fans are smarter than he is.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars