Dysfunction among BYU Coaches

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Dysfunction among BYU Coaches

Post by hawkwing »

http://www.deseretnews.com/blog/76/1001 ... aches.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By Vai Sikahema
Vai wrote:Earlier this season, I mentioned to Michael Vick that Ty is a good friend. Vick's face lit up. Vick told me that Ty was the most knowledgeable teammate he ever played with. He assumed Ty was coaching somewhere. I told him he was in Texas running a hunting business on his ranch. "Figures," said Vick. "He's either hunting, fishing or diagramming plays." After chuckling, he got serious and said to me almost in a whisper, "Ya know, if I had been more like Ty off the field, I wouldn't have had the problems I had."

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Dysfunction among BYU Coaches

Post by scott715 »

Duh. Live right and you won't go to jail.

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

Hopefully a key decision maker @ BYU has a light bulb go on - and they make Ty Detmer an offer he cannot refuse!!! Lock him up & bring him in.

imuakahuku
All-American

Post by imuakahuku »

I think he is exactly right. Ty would be a college football's Mariano Rivera for closing. What kid that loves BYU (and especially his parents) wouldn't be in awe of having Ty Detmer in their living room. And Ty is a great speaker and motivator so I can see him in that Texas drawl of his sealing the deal. And as the QB coach, ha to every other QB coach out there. They don't even measure to his knees. It would be slam dunk for QB recruits. Didn't even think of Markey but he would be a slam dunk for the island kids (Hawaii, Samoa, Tonga) and especially the Kahuku clan. I bet he could have talked Kona into dropping the ND trip.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

We don't have trouble getting the kids that love BYU. And all the kids we're recruiting today weren't even alive when Detmer was the man at BYU.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

kitic77 wrote:We don't have trouble getting the kids that love BYU. And all the kids we're recruiting today weren't even alive when Detmer was the man at BYU.
It doesn't matter if they knew Ty Detmer of not. I have a friend that lives in the shadow of Penn St. He talked to me about Joe Paterno & how he recruits. He's amazing when he sits down in their living room & kicks his shoes off & just starts talking.

How many kids - and parents would be amazed to just sit and listen to all the insight & stories Ty Detmer could tell about his experiences @ BYU & the NFL?? You'd never want him to stop or leave. I believe Ty Detmer would be super effective - coaching - recruiting - the whole tamale!

Merry Christmas !!!

vancouvercougar
All-American

Post by vancouvercougar »

Thanks Hawk for linking the article by Vai Sikahema. Vai is one of the reasons I love BYU (and more specifically BYU football).

Vai has first hand knowledge and insight of the coaches involved. Many on this board have expressed displeasure with coaches of the offense, but Vai expressed his views strongly--but without a mean-spirited tone. He writes and speaks reasonably, directly, and kindly.

If there is dysfunction among offensive coaches, Bronco has to make changes to preserve the culture of BYU football and what it stands for. Vai's story isn't so much about play calling as it is with organizational culture and teamwork among the coaches. I would always hope that the coaches would act as a band of brothers, and when they don't changes need to be made.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Back to Vai's article, I found it interesting Vai really likes Anae and made anae seem like a genuinely great guy (not the jerk and abrasive coach that I've read about so often on forums). BTW, I fully support a coach who is abrasive if some young, brash recruit comes in thinking he "deserves" to see the field because his best friends and family members tell him that his high school numbers make him an unquestionably all-american.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

If any of the young posters on here have never seen Vai return a kick - it was a thing of beauty and seldom seen at BYU before or since.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Vai may or may not be right about one of the coaches leaking it and another confirming it. Unless he talked to one of them himself and another to confirm it how would he know if they were told to keep it confidential. Pretty big secret to keep if they are all supposed to be networking to find jobs. Bronco needs to quickly pick an OC and let him assemble a staff.

Atuaia may or may not be qualified - loved him as a player. Is it what he wants to do? Vai did not add any insight there.

Is it what Detmer wants to do? No insight added there.

Lots of interesting info though about all of these people as the individuals that they are. Let us not forget that as this situation gets sorted out.

I wish them all well and I wish BYU would improve it's handling of personnel changes.

But when Vai describes this as a less demanding place for Detmer, who made it clear that free time was a priority, is that what all of you think are going to Jettison the program to the next level.

It sure seems to send the wrong signal to all of the players we are trying to get to work harder and flys in the face of all the criticism of Bronco for having shorter practices.

Just Sayin

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.