Pop Quiz

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Pop Quiz

Post by Cougarfan87 »

So, let's say hypothetically that your three year old son throws your daughter's barbie doll and cracks the LCD in your 52" Flat panel TV. Should you a) Sell him for the replacement cost of the TV. b) Spank him so hard he can't sit down for weeks. c) Realize he is three years old and that in the eternal scheme of things it just isn't that important. d) Buy an even better 55" LED TV (and some plexi-glass to cover it). e) Both a and b. f) Both c and d. g) All of the above. h) None of the above.
Last edited by Cougarfan87 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Re: Pop Quiz

Post by hawkwing »

There may be no right answer, right?

CougarPeasant
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by CougarPeasant »

which do you love more, the TV or the son?

Accidents happen. If the TV is relatively new and was very expensive, file an insurance claim.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

CougarPeasant wrote:which do you love more, the TV or the son?

Accidents happen. If the TV is relatively new and was very expensive, file an insurance claim.
Let's say, hypothetically speaking, an insurance claim was filed, and hypothetically speaking--for some strange reason, the insurance company doesn't cover kids throwing objects at the TV. Had it been vandalized by a teen breaking into my house, they would have covered it. Toddlers throwing stuff at the TV? Not so much.

Love the son more hands down, which is why, hypothetically speaking, I would lean towards option f)-- Not that a) and b) were not tempting.
Last edited by Cougarfan87 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

This is why you don't let boys play with barbies.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

Schmoe wrote:This is why you don't let boys play with barbies.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for the laugh. That's actually somewhat therapeautic.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

In all seriousness, this is a great time to be "upgrading" that tv. TV prices have been low, and inventory high, manufacturers are being to lower production, which will lessen inventory and prices while they wont shoot up, will start creeping up.

And those LED tvs are sweet!

CougarPeasant
All-American

Post by CougarPeasant »

Cougarfan87 wrote:
CougarPeasant wrote:which do you love more, the TV or the son?

Let's say, hypothetically speaking, an insurance claim was filed, and hypothetically speaking--for some strange reason, the insurance company doesn't cover kids throwing objects at the TV. Had it been vandalized by a teen breaking into my house, they would have covered it. Toddlers throwing stuff at the TV? Not so much.

Love the son more hands down, which is why, hypothetically speaking, I would lean towards option f)-- Not that a) and b) were not tempting.
Too bad. Some insurance companies accept claims for incidents like this. Others, not so much. I know with my insurance company, a claim will raise rates by 60-80%, which can add about $1200 for insurance over 3 years. When you throw in your deductible, that's about $1500 to $1800 in actual out of pocket, which is enough to pay for the new TV, most likely.

It also reminds me of great parenting advice from that sage, Gordon Jump. When asked what he did while raising kids, his answer: "Pray often and insure everything."

There are two items where I think extended warranties make sense: laptops and flat screen TVs. That's only if they have no fault replacement clauses on them.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

hawkwing wrote:In all seriousness, this is a great time to be "upgrading" that tv. TV prices have been low, and inventory high, manufacturers are being to lower production, which will lessen inventory and prices while they wont shoot up, will start creeping up.

And those LED tvs are sweet!
Just upgraded the TV. Best Buy has a deal now where a Sony Bravia 55" LED is $1900. That is $1200 off of the retail price. It is 3D compatible, though I'm not really into that. Also, if you buy it on the Best Buy card, it is 24 months same as cash. So needless to say, a chunk of my tax return is now accounted for.

Also investing in the TV protector--I guess the $240 is worth it now that I have replaced one TV. I could make my own out of plexiglass for about $50, but the wife insists on buying one that looks good. I didn't even think about protecting the TV the first time around, but with my rambunctious three year old and my son playing wii, it is a necessity.

Is that what the scripture means where weak things become strong? :D

I guess I can't bee too mad at the son since he unintentionally got me persmission to upgrade the TV. :whistle: