No Gas Day

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: No Gas Day

Post by hawkwing »

declocoug wrote:Just for fun (I didn't participate because I thought it was a stupid idea for the same reasons listed above) so what if no one bought gas for a month? 2 months? I could probably find a way to live without driving for a few months and would love to see if prices would drop if enough people joined in.
Prices would drop, from a sheer supply/demand perspective, and then they'd go back up as soon as everyone started driving again.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

hawkwing wrote:
declocoug wrote:Just for fun (I didn't participate because I thought it was a stupid idea for the same reasons listed above) so what if no one bought gas for a month? 2 months? I could probably find a way to live without driving for a few months and would love to see if prices would drop if enough people joined in.
Prices would drop, from a sheer supply/demand perspective, and then they'd go back up as soon as everyone started driving again.
well shoot, here's hoping that the price gets to the point that everyone goes and buys the VOLT and alternative fuel cars. Hopefully that will bring the price down so people like me who don't buy into the whole "new technologies are going to save the world and my soul" can get cheap gas again.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

I've always thought it was interesting that since the Volt came out the prices of gas in the US has almost tripled, coincidence? Does the government have a interest in gas prices going up so people will trade in for cars like Government Motors "volt".
Who knows, but Drudgereport top of the page headlines seem to be alluding as much.

Obama: 'I Remember What It Was Like To Pump Gas'...
Get used to high prices...
'You might want to think about a trade-in'...

Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Qman »

declocoug wrote:I've always thought it was interesting that since the Volt came out the prices of gas in the US has almost tripled, coincidence? Does the government have a interest in gas prices going up so people will trade in for cars like Government Motors "volt".
Who knows, but Drudgereport top of the page headlines seem to be alluding as much.

Obama: 'I Remember What It Was Like To Pump Gas'...
Get used to high prices...
'You might want to think about a trade-in'...
Or the fact that China's and India's energy demand is growing at huge rate mean that we should expect that energy cost will continue to go up unless we increase the energy supply.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
imuakahuku
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by imuakahuku »

1. Lower gas prices by increasing supply. Drill for our own oil (that does not comprise only 2% of the world reserveres) and/or at least stop shutting down or hindering our current oil production.

2. It is not a hidden agenda. Many in the Obama admin that the goal is to get gas prices in the US to be equal to those in Europe (and they don't mean to drop the prices in Europe).

3. The Volt is a complete failure. They have sold less than 300 of them so far and when all things (electricity, etc) are factored in they only get about 32-33 mpg. A far cry from the 100+ mpg that was hyped. Also, the "carbon" footprint of hybrids from beginning of production to end of life is larger than that of a Hummer.

4. End the cornolio gasahol (now known as ethanol). It reduces you gas milage and slowly destroys the engine. You want an alt for cars go to natural gas, we already have the technology, we have abundant supply, and it burns "cleaner" than anything except water (hydrogen).

5. Cut profits on per gallon of gas. Profits to the government that is. Taxes (fed and state)range from around 45 cents to almost 70 cents a gallon whereas Exxon makes about 2 cents a gallon profit. So who is the one doing the gouging?

6. And one other thing that would reduce gas prices would be to standardize gas mixtures.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

imuakahuku wrote:1. Lower gas prices by increasing supply. Drill for our own oil (that does not comprise only 2% of the world reserveres) and/or at least stop shutting down or hindering our current oil production.

2. It is not a hidden agenda. Many in the Obama admin that the goal is to get gas prices in the US to be equal to those in Europe (and they don't mean to drop the prices in Europe).

3. The Volt is a complete failure. They have sold less than 300 of them so far and when all things (electricity, etc) are factored in they only get about 32-33 mpg. A far cry from the 100+ mpg that was hyped. Also, the "carbon" footprint of hybrids from beginning of production to end of life is larger than that of a Hummer.

4. End the cornolio gasahol (now known as ethanol). It reduces you gas milage and slowly destroys the engine. You want an alt for cars go to natural gas, we already have the technology, we have abundant supply, and it burns "cleaner" than anything except water (hydrogen).

5. Cut profits on per gallon of gas. Profits to the government that is. Taxes (fed and state)range from around 45 cents to almost 70 cents a gallon whereas Exxon makes about 2 cents a gallon profit. So who is the one doing the gouging?

6. And one other thing that would reduce gas prices would be to standardize gas mixtures.
I love that obama, a guy elected as someone to help the lower class families, has basically said "get used to it" when asked about gas prices. What class would that be hurting the most?

the volt is a JOKE and a half from everything that I have read about it.

Why hasn't America drilled? If president here would be my plan- Get rid of the stinking EPA, DRILL BABY DRILL, stop paying countries that eventually are turning the money over to groups that hate the USA, get the gas prices down (economy would see a nice positive bounce), become self reliant, find a better fuel source before our oil supply runs out (which shouldn't be hard from the amount of oil tha the USA has).

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

We are currently trying to permit a well to drill on BLM lands that do not have any surface use restrictions--i.e. no endangered species, Indian burial grounds, cultural artifacts, red rocks etc. etc.

However, the BLM is delaying our permit so that a college professor can start and finish a study of baby foxes (these live all over the US, not just on our lands, but we have to wait to drill while he watches foxes). In addition to that, the BLM is balking at our proposed drilling plan because they think it is too shallow--we only have to drill to x feet to get to where we think the hydrocarbons might be, but the BLM is insisting that we drill to 2.5x feet because no one has drilled that deep in the area and the BLM wants to know the lithology (or sequence of rock layers) to 2.5x feet deep.

So, here you have an oil company chomping at the bit to drill, but the BLM (via Ken Salazar who answers only to Obama) is refusing to issue a permit on lands we are leasing for the express purpose of drilling so a professor can study baby foxes, and then they want to increase our cost of drilling more than threefold to provide free rock data to all of our competitors.

Just remember that next time Obama laments to the media about how oil companies are lazy and sitting on hundreds of thousands of acres of leases without drilling. We have millions of dollars of data and almost eight years of research and salesmanship into this project, and we are waiting on baby foxes and getting extorted by the BLM before they will let us drill while gas prices keep ticking up. Yeah, it's us lazy oil companies who just refuse to drill....

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Well oil was down 10% this week and gas prices are predicted to drop 50 cents in the next month. Hold off as long as you can before you get more and even though don't fill up. You will spend less on the gas as long as you can wait.