Input on a new car

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Input on a new car

Post by BroncoBot »

tmoney35 wrote:Life's too short to drive boring cars

Do some looking in the used sport/luxury sedan segment. You'd be amazed at how nice of a car you can get in the used car market for the same price as a new, bargain basement econo car. I assume you're budget is around $12-16k.

Go on to autotrader.com (or KSL.com if you're in Utah), and search for these cars in your price range:

BMW 3-series
Audi A4
Saab 9-3

Just test drive a few and see if you don't absolutely fall in love. I drive a Saab 9-3 and everyday I get excited to drive it, even if it's just to school or work.
what year is your 9-3? I've always thought those looked like nice rides.

BOID
Junior

Post by BOID »

Among new cars, consider:

Fun to drive economy, fuel efficiency--- Mazda 2, like a 4 door Mini, but $5000 less-- about $15K

best looking exterior styling with economy--- Hyundai Elantra, new model this year-- base MSRP about $15K, but a nicely equiped one about $17K to $18K

Best handling sport sedan in the Elantra price range--- 2012 Ford Focus from Ford of Germany, only now being brought to the US, the 5 door hatch looks best and is most practical, but adds $2K = about 18 to 19K, more likely $20K.

Best performance for the dollar--- 2011 model Ford Mustang V6, about 23K MSRP, 5.1 sec zero to 60, 305 hp, 31 mpg highway, and lighter weight = better handling than the V8 GT

Among used cars:
for front drive: Mazda 3 series, either sedan, or 5 door hatch-
for AWD: Audi 4 is hard to beat-
for RWD: BMW 3 series, or six cylinder 5 series, or again, Ford Mustang previous model GT (avoid the previous model V6), best investment is the "Bullit" model, from 2008, if you can find one for sale- it has many of the improvements that went into the new GT (Mustangs, although 2 door, make reasonable family cars, small rear seats that fit kiddies fine, and adults in a pinch, and a generous trunk, with split fold down rear seat back for trunk pass through).

Happy hunting!

Ungoy
All-American

Post by Ungoy »

Thank you for the input everyone! I really appreciate it. It was tempting going for one of the Saab's or the Audi, but if I get something like that I want to make sure it is paired with a manual transmission, something my wife isn't ready to get yet. We test drove the new Hyundai Elantra and as a practical car with great fuel economy, it's fantastic. We ended up buying one of the brand new 2012's that had 12 miles on it before we test drove it. It didn't have all the things I would've wanted, but it's very nice for the price, and proved to be a great compromise. So far over the weekend we're averaging about 31 mpg on it, so I think gas mileage will be a real plus on it.

Thanks again everyone!

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Ungoy wrote:Thank you for the input everyone! I really appreciate it. It was tempting going for one of the Saab's or the Audi, but if I get something like that I want to make sure it is paired with a manual transmission, something my wife isn't ready to get yet. We test drove the new Hyundai Elantra and as a practical car with great fuel economy, it's fantastic. We ended up buying one of the brand new 2012's that had 12 miles on it before we test drove it. It didn't have all the things I would've wanted, but it's very nice for the price, and proved to be a great compromise. So far over the weekend we're averaging about 31 mpg on it, so I think gas mileage will be a real plus on it.

Thanks again everyone!
Enjoy the new car. May it always arrive at it's destination safely.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Congrats on the new car, enjoy the smell while it lasts!

tmoney35
Senior

Post by tmoney35 »

declocoug wrote:what year is your 9-3? I've always thought those looked like nice rides.
It's a 2003. Fantastic car. The 2 liter turbo is a strong little engine. A little bit of turbo lag, but you get an exhilarating rush once it spools up. Granted, its performance and handling is a step behind the BMW 3-series, but I think the Saab's styling and rarity make up of that.

They never were real popular, but their owners are definitely passionate. That's a good thing when you looking for a used one because their retail value is very low, but many have been taken great care of.

I got mine a little over a year ago. It had 75k miles and was in incredible condition. I bought it for only $6,000. For comparison, my brother-in-law bought a stripped out Corolla (it doesn't even have power windows or locks) one year newer and he paid $10,000 :lol:

p.s. Congrats on the new car Ungoy!

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

I hear cars are cheaper in Ohio...

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Schmoe