America /= US government

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: America /= US government

Post by snoscythe »

jvquarterback wrote:Snocythe can deny all he likes, but nuclear weapons are condemned by the First Presidency,
"First, by way of general observation we repeat our warnings against the terrifying arms race in which the nations of the earth are presently engaged. We deplore in particular the building of vast arsenals of nuclear weaponry. We are advised that there is already enough such weaponry to destroy in large measure our civilization, with consequent suffering and misery of incalculable extent."

Or are you going to say I've taken that out of context?
Yes, I am. Yes you have taken it out of context.

The statement is that they deplore the building of vast arsenals of nuclear weaponry. Followed by the statement that there are already plenty of nuclear weapons. What I don't see is an indictment of nuclear weapons in general or a call for disarmament. What I see is a call to end the absurd stockpiling. They don't say "we condemn nuclear weapons" as you (once again) assert without thought of context, but they say, in essence, "we deplore the arms race."

CAFB_04-12
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

Lawboy wrote:Of course violence against non-combatants is argued against. Of course war is argued against. They are to be avoided. But you are making idealistic arguments in a world where realism and shades of gray prevail. Let's deal in reality, not theoretical positions that SHOULD prevail, but DO NOT prevail in this world, and never will until the Millennium.

Should the world avoid and frown on war. Absolutely. But in order to avoid war at all costs, should the world bury its head in the sand concerning great evils going on around them? Should we allow those who profess evil, teach hatred, oppress liberty and freedom, to flourish in their respective sphere? I think not. I think a duty is conferred upon people to step up and stop those individuals, to promote freedom, liberty, religious right, and to put an end to wickedness. If you want to split hairs about methods, feel free. Not sure anyone is arguing for nuclear war in the battle with terrorists, that argument is pure misdirection.
+1

CAFB_04-12
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

jvquarterback wrote:and addresses the topic in the LDS serviceman's manual.
What is the LDS serviceman's manual? I've searched the LDS military relations site and can't find anything like that.

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by jvquarterback »

The only one I have seen is one my father made me read when I was considering a commission. He said it was given to him at the tail end of Vietnam, I'm sure you can ask around. I'll have to ask him if he still has it. He also asked me to read a bunch of stuff J Reuben Clark, Harold B Lee, and Ezra Taft Benson had to say about the military and war. After reading I opted not to take the commission.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
jvquarterback
Heisman Winner

Post by jvquarterback »

snoscythe wrote:
jvquarterback wrote:Snocythe can deny all he likes, but nuclear weapons are condemned by the First Presidency,
"First, by way of general observation we repeat our warnings against the terrifying arms race in which the nations of the earth are presently engaged. We deplore in particular the building of vast arsenals of nuclear weaponry. We are advised that there is already enough such weaponry to destroy in large measure our civilization, with consequent suffering and misery of incalculable extent."

Or are you going to say I've taken that out of context?Or that the only place nuclear weapons are a "denial of the very essence of the gospel" is in Salt Lake City? Or that if you don't have a vast arsenal of nuclear weapons you don't have to heed the First Presidency's warning?

The statement is that they deplore the building of vast arsenals of nuclear weaponry. Followed by the statement that there are already plenty of nuclear weapons. What I don't see is an indictment of nuclear weapons in general or a call for disarmament. What I see is a call to end the absurd stockpiling. They don't say "we condemn nuclear weapons" as you (once again) assert without thought of context, but they say, in essence, "we deplore the arms race."
So let me get this straight. You are trying to say the First Presidency is only condemning vast arsenals of nuclear weapons and that as long as those smaller arsenals are not kept in Utah, there is nothing wrong with them. Is that correct? Other than being a pathetic argument I think some of the people on this board will disagree with you as they believe that even the possibility of a single nuclear weapon in a desert on the other side of the world constituted the reason to kill 500,000 people there. By your reasoning if Saddam Hussein only had a small nuclear arsenal and that arsenal didn't sit beneath church headquarters he was living by the words of the prophets.
Last edited by jvquarterback on Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

jvquarterback wrote:
snoscythe wrote:

Or are you going to say I've taken that out of context?Or that the only place nuclear weapons are a "denial of the very essence of the gospel" is in Salt Lake City? Or that if you don't have a vast arsenal of nuclear weapons you don't have to heed the First Presidency's warning?

So let me get this straight. You are trying to say the First Presidency is only condemning vast arsenals of nuclear weapons and that as long as those smaller arsenals are not kept in Utah, there is nothing wrong with them. Is that correct?
No, that is not at all what I said. I simply said this particular message was not condemning nuclear weapons in general as you claim despite the clear scope of their remarks, but was a statement against the arms race that was the current concern. You asked me if you took it out of context, and you absolutely did. If they wanted to make an anti-nuclear statement, it would have been very simple to just state: "we deplore nuclear weaponry" instead of "we deplore in particular the building of vast arsenals of nuclear weaponry." You cannot honestly take the latter as a doctrinal statement of the former.
By your reasoning if Saddam Hussein only had a small nuclear arsenal and that arsenal didn't sit beneath church headquarters he was living by the words of the prophets.
President Hinckley made his position on Iraq abundantly clear:
"In a democracy we can renounce war and proclaim peace. There is opportunity for dissent. Many have been speaking out and doing so emphatically. That is their privilege. That is their right, so long as they do so legally. However, we all must also be mindful of another overriding responsibility, which I may add, governs my personal feelings and dictates my personal loyalties in the present situation."

"We are a freedom-loving people, committed to the defense of liberty wherever it is in jeopardy. I believe that God will not hold men and women in uniform responsible as agents of their government in carrying forward that which they are legally obligated to do. It may even be that He will hold us responsible if we try to impede or hedge up the way of those who are involved in a contest with forces of evil and repression."
Iraq was not an arms race between two nations that already had arsenals threatening the annihalation of the planet--it was an isolated battle against evil and repression. Your two points are inapposite. There is nothing wrong with assembling weapons in times of peace to fend off your enemies in the future--the Nephites in the Book of Mormon would assemble their arsenals and reinforce their defenses in times of righteousness and peace. What the First Presidency's statement appears to indicate is that building arsenals to the point of mutually assured destruction swings the pendulum too far.

I am done with this debate jvquarterback. I answered your question "did I take it out of context?", and when I answered "yes." You have not refuted that answer, but instead made some ill-reasoned attempt to draw parallels between inapposite situations to make a broad attack on a specific statement. That's what the First Presidency was saying at that point in time about those specific events. You can't get around the printed words, and it's bitten you a number of times and you have tried to strain words beyond their plain meaning and as you have ripped isolated statements from the context that clearly gives them some other meaning. Just give it a rest and let it die.

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner

Post by jvquarterback »

Nuclear weapons are an abomination. They are "a denial of the very essence of that gospel," whether they are located in Utah, Japan or elsewhere. Nice try dodging that one. But if you really believe nuclear weapons are only a denial of the very gospel when located in Utah, what sad, pathetic argument makes you believe they are not when located anywhere else?

Next, I'll hedge up the way against any governemnt whose secretary of state admits the embargoes they imposed resulted in the death of 500,000 Iraqi children and that the "price was worth it."

You seem so sure about the superiority of the US government, but the US has caused far more death and devastation in Iraq than Saddam Hussein ever did. President Hinckley condemned both the US and Iraqi governments in his talk because both governments were taking away the lives and liberties of the Iraqi people

I agree with President Hinckley that we are a freedom loving people, but let's not pretend that the US government represents our love of freedom in Iraq or anywhere else or that President Hinckley was in any way supporting the US government in killing the 500,000 Iraqi children before his statement or the 500,000 Iraqis civilians killed since his statement.
Last edited by jvquarterback on Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sam Adams
kiwibacon
All-American

Post by kiwibacon »

I think everyone has had a chance to state something on the matter. I thought 5-6 pages ago people had agreed that no one is changing the others opinion...but then it kept going...Lets move on.